XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What is the chance of getting Android Auto & Google Assistant

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the chance of getting Android Auto & Google Assistant

Purchased a 2017 XE Prestige 20D with Incontrol Pro. and have been very pleased. The cars performs better than I expected. The dash technology is fairly well done, but when it comes to the web browser and apps, it needs some further effort. Maybe this will happen in future software updates.

I particularly am looking for android auto and google assistant. I rent cars often and it makes it easy to transition from one vehicle to another, I specifically look for brands/models that support this feature. Among other features, I am able to use voice commands for starting music, navigation, getting information, etc.

Then I get into my $$$ Jaguar and I time travel back half a decade in technology. The built in Navigation is good (no voice control, but using the 3G connection, can search for whatever). Also, when using the jag web browser, often it requires an app and sends me to the apple store, but always fails to connect. Does it think it is an Apple tablet? If anyone from Jag R&D is reading this, please pay some attention to the technology. Some of us seniors can really make use of it..

Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Brought my XE into Jaguar dealer for first annual factory service. Service manager told me that a new software update (service pack 4) was due sometime around the end of this summer and there is a good chance this update might include Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Supposedly the new I Pace already has Apple Car Play and Android Auto and this will be included on 2019 models.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the update! Great news! By the end of summer I will need to refill my Blue tank. Maybe they will have it by then.

I just finished installing by myself the AVH 2330 NEX in my 2 Jag X-Types. It has no native navigation, but uses the Android Auto for media, navigation, text messages, etc. It is great and most important, I have full "OK Google" assistant capabilities while driving. Can hardly wait to "Update" my XE!

The following 2 users liked this post by hratzlaff:
booklaw1 (11-28-2018), Suaro (07-03-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM

I have an update on this from Jaguar NA.

"Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center. I appreciate your inquiry. At this time we do not anticipate introducing Android Auto into our vehicles. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Looks like we may not have Android Auto anytime soon. I can only hope this is incorrect.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about apple car play? Same fate?

Old 09-25-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by uzek101
How about apple car play? Same fate?
Apple car play? not sure what that is... Seriously, though I didn't check. While there is a chance Apple may be supported before Android, I seriously doubt it as they usually now do both or neither.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:53 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My dealer in NYC told me a couple of weeks ago that she did not think there were any plans at JLR to bring Apple Carplay to the XE.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:23 AM

Just found this information online (click here)- similar to what I was told back in July by Jaguar service manager - fingers crossed!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is available on all models with touch Pro’s fitted in U.K. already. It’s a Phase 4 18c update.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Just received a notice from my Jaguar Dealership that the upgrade to Apple Car Play and Android Auto is now available for my Incontrol Touch Pro system - cost is $299. Has anyone else seen this being offered for less? I am on the fence at this price since I am half way through my lease and would only want it to use Waze on the built in 10.2 in screen instead of my phone.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the update! My 2017 XE is in the dealership service now for an update to the Incontrol Touch Pro system. I asked about Car Play and Android Auto and they know nothing about it. That was several days ago. Maybe when I get the car back from services in a week or so, they will have more information (yes, I am being a bit sarcastic - I am not use to waiting for an appointment and then just joining the queue in service).

Last edited by hratzlaff; 10-19-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:45 PM

The new software is Apple/Android ready. Seems I will need the update when available.

The Infotainment software version is: S18C_18.37.1-222737

I spoke with Jaguar USA and when the software is available, the car will advise me and I can download and install. If that is true, it may be at no cost.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:15 PM

I hope I didn't confuse anyone. The software version above was installed by the dealer to correct several bug issues. It turned on automatic updating as well. The dealer warned me that the human interface is much different, and it is. It now makes a lot more sense!

It is my understanding that when the Android Auto / Apple Carplay update is available, the car will notify me, since it is now checking for updates. At that time, I can select to download and install. It is unclear if it will be via connections direct with the car or via a USB device like a map update.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took my car in for service and asked them to update the infotainment system to the latest version (Phase 4) and add the smartphone pack. If you want Android Auto / CarPlay you need both the Phase 4 update and the smartphone pack. My service advisor is great, and didn't charge me for the smartphone pack...but it seems some dealers are trying to. If the dealer doesn't enable the smartphone pack along with the update, you can't get android auto/carplay.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:04 AM

You got lucky - my dealer is asking $299 for the smartphone pack! I always use Waze on my android phone and was wondering if Waze looks and plays well on the 10 inch screen. Any info, screenshots much appreciated!!

Old 11-28-2018, 01:33 PM

​​​​​​I just picked up my XE from its first service appointment. To my delight, I have a new software update.

New home screen
I've only had a few minutes to tinker, but I'm a bit disappointed with the integration for Android Auto. Despite having the wire screen display, the AA screen is sized for the smaller display.

Narrow display 😞

The update cost me nothing. On the service notes, it says "Customer states Bluetooth not working. Checked and found TSB related to customer complaint. TSB JTB00593NAS5 for phase 4 update. Performed phase 4 update and updated the smart phone activation checked and found Bluetooth working as designed".

The interesting thing is, I never had a complaint about my Bluetooth not working. Maybe this is the secret handshake to getting the update?

Last edited by seaxes; 11-28-2018 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aerospaced (12-03-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 05:54 PM

Here are some pictures. I don't have an Android, so wasn't able to test Android Auto. Waze works really well, you can even report things like you can in the app. Also, sorry about the dust...I just cleaned it last month!

The following users liked this post:
aerospaced (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 AM

May not make a difference but just wondering if Waze was running in portrait or landscape mode on your phone when you took the photo.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Default Android Auto Screen Size

Just got ICTP upgraded with Android Auto. Noticed issue with screen size as seaxes earlier post. Searched on internet and found way to put Android Auto in developer mode and then scrolled down and selected 1080p display. Does not fill entire screen like Apple Car Play but appears to be better than before.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 PM

Does anyone know if the update for android auto is available without the upgraded head unit? I have the smaller one, but I want android auto SO bad.

Quick Reply: What is the chance of getting Android Auto & Google Assistant