XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE S ordering questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XE S ordering questions

I tried an XE 35t Prestige today, but I really want an XE S.

Apparently the only way to get the color I want would be to order.

I have a few questions
- If I went with the XE S, I would plan to order just the base XE S with no options. Is that OK or are there any must-have options?
- Is the suede a problem to keep clean? Not talking spills and such, just generally if it's a dust magnet. I figured they would be cooler in summer and cozier in winter.
- Dealer says if I order then nothing off MSRP, not even any incentives since those would only apply to cars on the lot. Is this a reasonable price?
- I am in California. Dealer says ordering will take 4-6 months. Is this accurate?

The 4 cylinder XEs don't excite. I'm a bit concerned I may be buying too much car. I currently drive a 328i M sport which I got for about $42K before TTL. This would be about $54K.

Anyone with an XE S here care to say if you're happy with it and what if anything you don't like. Just trying to do due diligence so I don't buy something I regret.

I'm still researching cars, so not 100% sure if I will bite the bullet yet on Jaguar, but if I did, then the XE S would be it. I think it's going to either be this or another BMW.

Last edited by anoop; 06-10-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I like all the options I have on our XE. I would option it out. If you're not trading in a car, look nationally and do the deal at the dealer who has your combo.

The following users liked this post:
chrisburns61 (07-13-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:40 AM

The dealer checked nationally. Nobody has it. XE S is already very rare, so imposing color/option requirements makes is close to impossible to find.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anoop
The dealer checked nationally. Nobody has it. XE S is already very rare, so imposing color/option requirements makes is close to impossible to find.
Did you check on cars.com for the car?

Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 PM

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of cars.com so I just checked it now. I don’t see one that is spec’d like I want it.

One more question. One of the old reviews I read mentioned the XE has an IR-rejecting windshield. Can anyone confirm that is the case? Is this true for the standard windshield or do you need the heated windshield option?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Just replied in the F-type thread, where you asked the same question. My '18 25t Prestige has an IR windshield, and I don't think it's part of any package. There's a small area on each side of the rearview mirror where a toll transponder, etc. should work. I confirmed the transponder won't work in other areas, as I didn't know where to place it right after I bought it.

anoop (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I do not have the heated windshield, but neither my ez-pass transponder nor my Valentine One will work anywhere on the windshield except those two dotted areas next to the rear view mirror.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.

Having done a bit of searching, it looks like most people that got the heated windshield on JLR cars don't like it. It also appears IR is standard. It's good to know about the issues with toll tags. I have one that I use occasionally. I usually stow it away and pull it only when needed, placing it over driver side dash. It looks like that wouldn't work with an XE. Fortunately, I think the toll booths take a picture of the license plate and as long as it's tied to a tag, they just charge the tag and there is no fine.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.

Having done a bit of searching, it looks like most people that got the heated windshield on JLR cars don't like it.
I love the heated windshield and even more so on our Range Rover. If you live in freezing climate and the car could be outside during those times or you're driving in real cold temps; the heated windshield is worth every penny and then some.

chrisburns61 (07-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 AM

Thanks for sharing. I don't live in freezing clime (northern CA) and I have a garage, so no issues with freezing anyway. I like the idea of IR, so I was trying to find out how to get one and if it involved spec'ing a heated windshield, but that does not appear to be the case.

The concerns I heard about heated windshields were that the lines in the windshield can sometimes be visible/distracting/annoying. See, for example, this thread.
Heated Windshield??? - Page 2 - Jaguar F-Pace Forum

Perhaps there are changes in newer models.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

The concerns I heard about heated windshields were that the lines in the windshield can sometimes be visible/distracting/annoying. See, for example, this thread.
Heated Windshield??? - Page 2 - Jaguar F-Pace Forum

Perhaps there are changes in newer models.
The lines are there, but hardly distracting or annoying. The are very thin, but closely spaced. I would order any car with it if offered. I wish double pane glass was an option.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Just replied in the F-type thread, where you asked the same question. My '18 25t Prestige has an IR windshield, and I don't think it's part of any package. There's a small area on each side of the rearview mirror where a toll transponder, etc. should work. I confirmed the transponder won't work in other areas, as I didn't know where to place it right after I bought it.

Can you point out where you have yours. I can't get my IPass to work at all, so just wondering where exactly you have yours placed. Considering ordering the license plate mount one and figuring out how to attach it to the grill somewhat hidden if possible since I don't have a front plate.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about IPASS, but for e-zpass you can get external tags that go above your front license plate.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by uzek101
Not sure about IPASS, but for e-zpass you can get external tags that go above your front license plate.

Yes IPASS does as well. I don't have a front plate though. That's why I was going to check into some sort of grill mount or something like that. The license plate mount ones just use the existing screw holes in your front plate.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Our EasyPass is just below the rear view to the right (passenger side). Never had an issue.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I waited for the XES to be released to the states and I am quite satisfied. Depending on the color you choose the black out option for the darker colors looks amazing. I upgraded the Infotainment system and it does not disappoint. There are some bugs, but Jaguar has been working on correcting them. Nothing that really bothers me anymore after nearly a year with the car. I also opted for the illuminated sill plates which is a nice touch.

The only thing I find that is PITA is the velour around the doors which is a magnet for hair and other things. As to delivery I can only speak from experience and it took 12 weeks from time of order to delivery. Things have changed quite a bit since mid 2017 when Jag made the move to more of the 4cyl models.

All in all worth the wait and a real head turner.

anoop (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanks. Do you have suede seats or regular leather? If suede, would having leather seats avoid the velour issue?

I was planning on just the base car with no additional options or packages, white exterior, red interior (I am thinking suede unless it is hard to keep clean), carbon fiber trim (is it worth $810? ).

I have heard a lot of negative things about the infotainment but hopefully they will keep improving it. I don't listen to music very much in the car, and I tend to use my phone for navigation, so as long as it pairs to bluetooth and I can stream music, make calls, and hear directions from the phone, I'm good there.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by carpenter75
Can you point out where you have yours. I can't get my IPass to work at all, so just wondering where exactly you have yours placed. Considering ordering the license plate mount one and figuring out how to attach it to the grill somewhat hidden if possible since I don't have a front plate.
Haven't used mine successfully yet - didn't know where to hold it. The manual says the areas near the rear view mirror with black dots are where it should work. Haven't been through a toll since I read that.

And my 2018 brochure says the IR windshield is standard on all XE models, which you already figured out.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shagman25
The only thing I find that is PITA is the velour around the doors which is a magnet for hair and other things.

That's funny you mention that. I thought the same thing. I don't even have a dog, but you sure couldn't tell from that trim. Also noticed that a LOT of water gets into the door jamb area. Even had a detailer comment that he'd never seen so much water get into a door jamb.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't comment on the suede seats as I have leather and it is quite comfortable and doesn't really get too hot. You really can't go wrong either way, it's just a personal preference.

The door jams and the water is a headache for me. It's a good thing that my dealer has a free full service car washes to get that covered. In the winter here in the MW it drives me nuts with all the salt that builds up, especially in the rear door jam.

Quick Reply: XE S ordering questions