Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF (X260) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/)
-   -   2017 Jaguar XF Bluetooth issue (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/2017-jaguar-xf-bluetooth-issue-210058/)

Firejr33 11-01-2018 12:53 PM

2017 Jaguar XF Bluetooth issue

So I have a 2017 Jaguar XF 20d Premium.

When I got the car I had the Google Pixel XL (first gen) and from day one, Bluetooth wasn't working properly, although it's listed as a compatible device. Basically whenever I connect my phone, nlueBluet constantly goes in and out. (Completely gone from the source option as if it doesn't see it for a period of time then appears and reconnects). It's completely random. I called both the dealership and Google and each says it's the other one and wait for the next update. It's been a year of updates and nothing worked. (Had phone replaced a few times even). Not I just got the new Pixel 3XL and it seems to be having the same issue. Jaguar said it's not compatible yet but it sounds like BS. Last version of Android the pixel was compatible with was 2 years old according to their site.

I can't go another few years without being able to use bluetooth so trying to figure out if there's a work around or what then issue could be?

​​​​​​Had a Lexus before and my phone worked fine there.

going to try another Jaguar just to see if it's this particular one as well.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated

ololly 11-01-2018 01:41 PM

Well, out of 3 variables (the phone, the Jag and the placement) you've eliminated one. Now the second one to eliminate the bad reception. Make sure it is not covered with metallic case and/or your body. Bluetooth emits very weak signal, so even your body can tone it down if put between the phone and BT antenna. Then if it fails as well bring it to a dealer and insist on testing it.

Firejr33 11-01-2018 01:47 PM

I've tried the reception issue. Took case off, kept it right by main system with nothing in between. Didn't help. I have also brought it to the dealer on a few occasions now. They have no explanations besides saying its a compatibility issue with the phone.

ololly 11-01-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Firejr33 (Post 1982719)
They have no explanations besides saying its a compatibility issue with the phone.

Well clearly it is not. You've changed the phone, didn't you? But just to make sure connect it to other Bluetooth device - headphones, other car, smart watch etc and check. And then report it to a dealer. If it is an intermittent connectivity issue ask them to check a BT antenna in a car.

Firejr33 11-01-2018 02:34 PM

Both phones worked fine with other bluetooth devices.
I just got off the phone with corporate and they suggested I try a different Dealer to see if they would be able to help me more than the one I've been going to before. Have an appointment for next Wed

Firejr33 11-20-2018 04:20 PM

So after taking it to a different dealership, they were able to determine that my phone works with the other infosystem(larger version) jaguar has, but not the one I currently have in my vehicle.

I opened up a case with corporate about it and all they keep coming back is that their engineers find that the phone is not compatible with the vehicle and won't do anything about it. However, my previous phone (Pixel XL) is listed on their website as a compatible device. Their answer to that right now is that its only listed to be compatible with a software version that's over 2 years old on the website and so there's nothing they can do. This is silly as phones auto update their versions every few months and all the phones listed as compatible on the website have versions that are years old.

Anyone have any suggestions or how I could escalate this further to someone?

tru 03-05-2019 12:52 PM

Jaguar corporate is not going to be of any help. I have the same exact issue with a different android phone and I was told the same "This phone is not compatible" story.
It is pretty sad considering I have had my phone work perfectly fine in rental economy cars, yet Jag can't get it sorted.

Anyway, here's a tip. The bluetooth disconnect issue is mainly due to the call part of the bluetooth. If you go to the car settings and unpair your phone for calls, the media should say connected as normal.
It doesn't disconnect at all if you are only connected for media. I am planning to buy a new phone soon and I hope that I can connect to my car for both the phone and media.

Hope it helps.

Firejr33 03-05-2019 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by tru (Post 2035676)
Jaguar corporate is not going to be of any help. I have the same exact issue with a different android phone and I was told the same "This phone is not compatible" story.
It is pretty sad considering I have had my phone work perfectly fine in rental economy cars, yet Jag can't get it sorted.

Anyway, here's a tip. The bluetooth disconnect issue is mainly due to the call part of the bluetooth. If you go to the car settings and unpair your phone for calls, the media should say connected as normal.
It doesn't disconnect at all if you are only connected for media. I am planning to buy a new phone soon and I hope that I can connect to my car for both the phone and media.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I actually need the phone portion more than the media. It's sad because they use the excuse of wrong OS version, but looking through their compatibility list on the website, they just don't stay current to almost any phone. So it's like a get out of jail free card for them to always rely on "wrong version" anytime.
I ended up having to return the pixel 3 although I loved the phone because it wouldn't work in the car. Waiting and going to try the new Samsung.. Just think its ridiculous that such a high end and expensive vehicle can't get Bluetooth to work properly and doesn't think its an important safety issue.

Graham Evans 06-18-2019 03:03 PM

Try downloading an app called Bluetooth Phonebook. It solved my problems.

tru 06-18-2019 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Firejr33 (Post 2035677)
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I actually need the phone portion more than the media. It's sad because they use the excuse of wrong OS version, but looking through their compatibility list on the website, they just don't stay current to almost any phone. So it's like a get out of jail free card for them to always rely on "wrong version" anytime.
I ended up having to return the pixel 3 although I loved the phone because it wouldn't work in the car. Waiting and going to try the new Samsung.. Just think its ridiculous that such a high end and expensive vehicle can't get Bluetooth to work properly and doesn't think its an important safety issue.

I'm sorry to bring you bad news but I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S10 in the hopes it would fix the issue. But nope, same problem. This time the dealership said that the phone has too new to be supposed.

Don't get the Samsung

Firejr33 06-18-2019 04:27 PM

Glad it helped! I already got a new phone that seems to work with the car for now.
Still disappointed with Jaguar to be honest over these issues.

Marc D 07-04-2019 05:00 PM

Ugh! I just picked up a certified 2017 XF and have the same issue with my Pixel 3. Can anyone confirm an Android phone that *does* work?

tru 07-04-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Marc D (Post 2094193)
Ugh! I just picked up a certified 2017 XF and have the same issue with my Pixel 3. Can anyone confirm an Android phone that *does* work?

My Samsung Galaxy S10 wouldn't stay connected.
I installed an app called Bluetooth Phonebook from the app store. It replaces the Bluetooth profile on your phone. Is been a month with no disconnects.

Graham Evans 07-05-2019 01:17 AM

Download an app called Bluetooth Phonebook. Don't use the usb lead just connect via bluetooth and all phone things work properly.

Marc D 07-05-2019 03:10 PM

Thank you both!! Everything works now.

acechris 07-11-2019 11:08 AM

Hi people
Just read through this post, to get some idea of my problem. I have a Sony expera 5. Been working fine on my old Rang Rover.. Now I have a 2016xf Portfolio. Now the car has paired my phone, and downloaded my contacts. Choose a contact,My wife mobile. (Which I also have in the car with me) the mobile rings, but nothing coming through the car speakers. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Angie Robinson 07-19-2019 12:01 PM

Thanks for the tip! I just downloaded the app on my Android and hoping it solves the issue of my bluetooth dropping my phone. Any specific settings I should keep the app on?

GouravGarg 01-04-2024 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Graham Evans (Post 2094296)
Download an app called Bluetooth Phonebook. Don't use the usb lead just connect via bluetooth and all phone things work properly.

Thanks Dear. Could you please share pics/link for the Bluetooth app ?

tru 01-04-2024 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by GouravGarg (Post 2709395)
Thanks Dear. Could you please share pics/link for the Bluetooth app ?

This solution does not work anymore. Android has stopped third party apps from changing the Bluetooth profile.

Only solution now is to pair only for music. Do not pair for phone calls.

For some context, the issue seems to be with the pbac version. This is used to transfer the contacts to the car. There seems to be some bug in the in control system that causes the Bluetooth to restart when the phone book is synced.

GouravGarg 01-04-2024 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by tru (Post 2709421)
This solution does not work anymore. Android has stopped third party apps from changing the Bluetooth profile.

Only solution now is to pair only for music. Do not pair for phone calls.

For some context, the issue seems to be with the pbac version. This is used to transfer the contacts to the car. There seems to be some bug in the in control system that causes the Bluetooth to restart when the phone book is synced.

Absolutely, I'm on the same page with you. I also have an old Pixel 2, and I attempted to format the phone and download the Bluetooth Phonebook APK. However, it's stating that after the Android 11 update, even with user explicit permission, Bluetooth can't access PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile). This problem seems to affect Android pure stock phones or those accessing contacts directly from Gmail rather than the local phone memory. Media functions seem unaffected. I've tested this on Pixel 2, 4, and 8 with the same outcome. 📱🔄 #AndroidIssues #BluetoothTroubles