Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF (X260) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/)
-   -   Coolant warning (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/coolant-warning-249455/)

Mauricesmith912 07-29-2021 03:56 PM

Coolant warning

Hi its me again, I am getting a coolant level low warning and I just filled a few days ago. Its coming on and disappearing on its own also in idle mode the car shimmys just a tad every so often. Should I be worried. I guess this is the cost of wanting luxury.

2018XF25T 07-29-2021 07:57 PM

What's the mileage on the odometer? Did the vehicle overheated before?

wombat 07-29-2021 08:17 PM

This may help,

On three cars I've owned (X351, X100 and the hateful bloody miserable M3}, the float in the coolant tank fails! I kid you not, it fails because it gets waterlogged and sinks to the bottom of the tank! Once it sinks it will set off the low coolant caption.

The good news, the tanks are really cheap and easy to change. The bad news, NEVER ignore a low coolant warning....EVER!

wombat

Mauricesmith912 07-29-2021 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T (Post 2422249)
What's the mileage on the odometer? Did the vehicle overheated before?

60000. No just bought on the 20th. Carfax said there was no past issues.

Mauricesmith912 07-29-2021 09:08 PM

[QUOTE=wombat;2422261]This may help,

On three cars I've owned (X351, X100 and the hateful bloody miserable M3}, the float in the coolant tank fails! I kid you not, it fails because it gets waterlogged and sinks to the bottom of the tank! Once it sinks it will set off the low coolant caption.

The good news, the tanks are really cheap and easy to change. The bad news, NEVER ignore a low coolant warning....EVER!

wombat[/

Mauricesmith912 07-29-2021 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=Mauricesmith912;2422277]

Originally Posted by wombat (Post 2422261)
This may help,

wombat[/

I've put coolant in twice. I can see that the fluid is draining by looking at the coolant tank.

2018XF25T 07-30-2021 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mauricesmith912 (Post 2422278)
I've put coolant in twice. I can see that the fluid is draining by looking at the coolant tank.

Have the leakage fixed or else you'll have to fill the coolant each & every time. At 60K it is normal for parts of the cooling system to fail and a good time to flush the cooling system. "Maybe", the rough acceleration you are experiencing could be related, as air already entered into in the cooling system (via an opening on the leakage) and gets trapped. Did you bought your car at the dealer, like Carmax, Vroom , Carvana? Normally, they have 90 day warranty. Also, it is a good idea to change serpentine belt as well at your car's age.

Rosevillesister 09-23-2021 01:37 PM

Thanks guys! Several options, good advice... common sense!
Cindy

mleskovar 09-23-2021 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T (Post 2422376)
Have the leakage fixed or else you'll have to fill the coolant each & every time.......

And when it finally goes bust you won't be compromised (on the freeway, an hour from home, 2:00 AM). And if you have to top it off that much it's leaking.

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T (Post 2422376)
.... At 60K it is normal for parts of the cooling system to fail and a good time to flush the cooling system. ....

I disagree. Jaguar calls for 10 years or 100K miles. I had an aluminum block engine like this one with extended coolant that the water pump started to rattle at 120K and when I replaced it the fluid was still just about clear. Modern aluminum block engines don't deteriorate the coolant that I'm aware of.

Rosevillesister 09-25-2021 03:58 PM

Coolant, expansion tank ..etc

Picking your collective brains: bunch of “ifs”...
so “if” I replace the expansion tank(plus sensor & cap), am I correct that I should also have a flush & fill done? Not knowing what PO ( not original who was very careful owner)has put in. The tank isn’t leaking, gauges are good, but red light low coolant, until a bit of water was put in. Maybe problem with sensor float? Also, checked a couple places for cost + shipping on expansion tank(plus cap, sensor), RockAuto, PartsGeek...both around $71.
Opinions, steps, “should do” things..AND is this something that can be done by fairly decent shadetree mechanic/nephew?

as always, I bow to your experience.

mleskovar 09-25-2021 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rosevillesister (Post 2446135)
....“if” I replace the expansion tank......

Unless you find it's leaking don't replace it. You have a leak if you're replacing fluid often. If the low coolant light comes on and the visual inspection shows low coolant that means the float and sensor are working. If you remove the oil filler cap and look at the inside of the cap is there brown good present? If so you have coolant leaking into the oil supply ..... usually means head gasket. You have a leak. Don't just start shot gunning parts. Find the leak. Just noticed you have an older car, not an X260. Use that forum.