XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jag XF 2010 Coolant Low

Old 11-17-2018, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag XF 2010 Coolant Low

I drive an XF 2010 and my car has a red sensor light that reads Coolant low. I brought to the dealership to get a fluid top off; they said that I needed to replace to coolant resevoir. Skeptical I asked if I can just replace the sensor but they said the sensor is built into the coolant.

1. Is the sensor really built into the coolant?

2. Does anyone have any DIY instructions and pics on how I can replace the coolant?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

The reservoir is pretty cheap. They fail, crack and leak when they get old. The sensor is not user serviceable easily - a few people have done it but it was more work that it's worth. You can diy the reservoir yourself in no time or a quick job at the dealer.
These plastic components that constantly heat cycle don't last forever

Search on the X250 forum which is the right one for your XF model and you'll see quite a few posts about this

Old 11-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
The reservoir is pretty cheap. They fail, crack and leak when they get old. The sensor is not user serviceable easily - a few people have done it but it was more work that it's worth. You can diy the reservoir yourself in no time or a quick job at the dealer.
These plastic components that constantly heat cycle don't last forever

Search on the X250 forum which is the right one for your XF model and you'll see quite a few posts about this

Is x250 the same thing as XF model? You’re saying it’s not worth it doing it yourself?

Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

When they redesigned the XF, the XF name stayed the same, and it doesn't look that much different, but its a very different car underneath. The X260 is the designation for the new car, which started with the 2016 model year. XF's before that have the X250 designation. So there's a separate forum section for X256 vs X260. Since those X designations are not widely know, it would be a lot more obvious for everyone if the forum name just listed the model years instead of the X designation.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
When they redesigned the XF, the XF name stayed the same, and it doesn't look that much different, but its a very different car underneath. The X260 is the designation for the new car, which started with the 2016 model year. XF's before that have the X250 designation. So there's a separate forum section for X256 vs X260. Since those X designations are not widely know, it would be a lot more obvious for everyone if the forum name just listed the model years instead of the X designation.

so I should search for x250 when I search for items relevant to my xf 2010 on this site?

Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ704

so I should search for x250 when I search for items relevant to my xf 2010 on this site?
yes

Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps a moderator can move this thread over to the X250 section. (Btw - look in 'modern' jaguar folder and you'll find it there)
Lots of active posting from people with the 2009-2015 model which yours fits into

On the reservoir question, you can absolutely do it yourself. It's an easy replacement. It's cheap so I'd suggest you get the whole reservoir not just the sensor - not worth messing with the unit

Then fill with the right coolant, and keep an eye on it to ensure it's not leaking anywhere

Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Also you can download the service manual (search the X250 section and several threads on where to get it). That makes these sort of diy jobs v easy - lots of pictures of what to do

Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Also you can download the service manual (search the X250 section and several threads on where to get it). That makes these sort of diy jobs v easy - lots of pictures of what to do

Hi BritCar, you mean to search here? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/

I'm new to the forum so not sure if I am digging in the right area, but would this be the right thread about the coolant for steps and pictures? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rmation-20086/

Old 11-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Easiest way to search is on google. Just put in jaguarforums xx where xx is the search term like XF coolant tank replacement

This thread is good
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-wrong-77480/
But search around and you might be able to find more specifics too

Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

I drive an XF 2010 and my car has a red sensor light that reads Coolant low. I brought to the dealership to get a fluid top off; they said that I needed to replace to coolant resevoir. Skeptical I asked if I can just replace the sensor but they said the sensor is built into the coolant. .....
Welcome to the forum PJ704,

I've moved your question from X260 to X250 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Low Coolant Warning Sensors are definitely replaceable on the Supercharged model although I cannot find one listed for the Normally Aspirated which has a different Expansion Tank. The Sensor clips into the bottom of the Expansion Tank and has a nearby harness connector. However, it requires removal of the Expansion Tank to fit a replacement sensor. Here is the relevant page from JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue) for the S/C (see item 3).

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum PJ704,

I've moved your question from X260 to X250 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Low Coolant Warning Sensors are definitely replaceable on the Supercharged model although I cannot find one listed for the Normally Aspirated which has a different Expansion Tank. The Sensor clips into the bottom of the Expansion Tank and has a nearby harness connector. However, it requires removal of the Expansion Tank to fit a replacement sensor. Here is the relevant page from JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue) for the S/C (see item 3).

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Replacing the tank looks simple enough but how would I disconnect the two hoses that connects to the tank without having fluid spill out all over the inside of my car?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey

before you go replacing parts, check the water and anti freeze mixture.

I had this happen on my 2009 just this week, I thought hey maybe its low so I added water. That didn't help,

We later looked inside and saw the float at the bottom. We used a long screw driver to help it up and the warning went away.

We then checked the coolant mixture now I'm sure the ratio wasn't as bad until I added the water but it was only good for -12 degrees Celsius.

We ending up taking a lot of the water and coolant out and then added concentrated coolant. I got the rating for it up to - 37 degrees.

Closed up the hood gave the car a start and it was fine.

this only cost me $20 bucks Canadian.

The reason why changing the reservoir works is probably because they have to put in new coolant.

hope this works for you, some people may say coolant is anti freeze.

side note, when buying the coolant buy any brand, long life coolant it will mix in well.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maninder Dhatt
Hey

before you go replacing parts, check the water and anti freeze mixture.

I had this happen on my 2009 just this week, I thought hey maybe its low so I added water. That didn't help,

We later looked inside and saw the float at the bottom. We used a long screw driver to help it up and the warning went away.

We then checked the coolant mixture now I'm sure the ratio wasn't as bad until I added the water but it was only good for -12 degrees Celsius.

We ending up taking a lot of the water and coolant out and then added concentrated coolant. I got the rating for it up to - 37 degrees.

Closed up the hood gave the car a start and it was fine.

this only cost me $20 bucks Canadian.

The reason why changing the reservoir works is probably because they have to put in new coolant.

hope this works for you, some people may say coolant is anti freeze.

side note, when buying the coolant buy any brand, long life coolant it will mix in well.

Good luck!

He y Maninder thanks for your reply.

Attached is a pic inside my tank. You can see that the fluid level is up to the max line. The fluid was refilled by Jaguar so I'm assuming they didn't use a 50/50 mix. Is the black circle the float you said that is stuck? If so, its at the bottom of my tank. I used a long screw driver to poke at it but didn't want to use force fearing that I might break something.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 PM

He y Maninder thanks for your reply.

Attached is a pic inside my tank. You can see that the fluid level is up to the max line. The fluid was refilled by Jaguar so I'm assuming they didn't use a 50/50 mix. Is the black circle the float you said that is stuck? If so, its at the bottom of my tank. I used a long screw driver to poke at it but didn't want to use force fearing that I might break something.
yes it's that white thing under the black circle. It's a cylinder that floats some cases it might jam up because of grim bit its supposed to rise up. I'm out right now I'll get back and get back to you on a laptop

Old 11-21-2018, 08:55 PM

yes it's that white thing under the black circle. It's a cylinder that floats some cases it might jam up because of grim bit its supposed to rise up. I'm out right now I'll get back and get back to you on a laptop

Thanks for the quick reply. Am I supposed to pull that black circle back up? Do you have a pic of how it looks when it is working correctly?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Am I supposed to pull that black circle back up? Do you have a pic of how it looks when it is working correctly?
dont pull on it try to presuade the white cylinder to rise.

Try get a tool to check the coolant / water it's pretty cheap.

in Canada

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-antifreeze-coolant-tester-0290039p.html

it will tell you if it's your mixture or not and help you adjust it.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:37 PM

dont pull on it try to presuade the white cylinder to rise.

Try get a tool to check the coolant / water it's pretty cheap.

in Canada

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0290039p.html

it will tell you if it's your mixture or not and help you adjust it.

Did you mix your coolant or use a premixed coolant?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:03 PM

Did you mix your coolant or use a premixed coolant?
I used straight coolant

i took pictures of my float there I'll attach them , I used different brightness settings to try to see into the liquid better.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 PM

I used straight coolant

i took pictures of my float there I'll attach them , I used different brightness settings to try to see into the liquid better.

Your float is at the bottom like mine. So how do you know if it is a float/sensor issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jag XF 2010 Coolant Low