XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Jaguar Considering Going Fully Electric

Old 10-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jaguar Considering Going Fully Electric

In case you missed it, an article that may be of interest. You have to wonder what the predominate vehicles will be in ten years, and how low the market share of fossil fueled sedans will be.
Jaguar Is Reportedly Considering Going Fully Electric across Its Entire Lineup
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ja...-car-ev-lineup

Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Total BS. To think that an economy based on fossil fuel energy could convert to sun and wind generated electricity to replace it in any time period is delusional.

The following users liked this post:
Kodiak (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Total BS. To think that an economy based on fossil fuel energy could convert to sun and wind generated electricity to replace it in any time period is delusional.
I fail to see any mention of wind or solar energy in the article. Electric vehicles don't care what generates the power that recharges their batteries.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheluxe
In case you missed it, an article that may be of interest. You have to wonder what the predominate vehicles will be in ten years, and how low the market share of fossil fueled sedans will be.
Jaguar Is Reportedly Considering Going Fully Electric across Its Entire Lineup
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ja...-car-ev-lineup
What is more shocking to me is that the article states that Jaguar will essentially stop making cars. As Ford, they will only make SUVs. Now even Lambourgini makes an SUV. I feel like I’m the last sane person in a wold where people have been taken over by alien body snatchers making them walk around muttering “SUVs SUVs SUVs...” Will this insanity ever stop?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Five years ago, Jaguar was almost dead.
Thanks to Tata and a vision with keeping the marque alive they are able to survive and GROW.
Why, because the new XJ SEDAN will be electric only in 2020.
The F pace an suv that can not be made fast enough . I swore Id never buy a jag truck well...…..
My wife loves it and will never drive a car again.
Electric will take over within 5 years.
I will die with gasoline in my veins with my xk120, etype and all my others.....BUT MY I PACE IS ON THE WAY!
How many of you remember, SEARS, GE, RCA TELEVISION or even a FAX MACHINE.
Guys its coming and if you have friends on these government boards as I do......Its big brother and nothing else.
They will control it all.
So get back in your model t like Henry Ford who said no one would want anything else FOREVER.
And it has to be black!
The gasoline automobile once we are gone is over.
P.S. cleaning out my inlaws house, because of death we came across 2 boxes of Dumont television tubes.....anyone want to make an offer?
Enjoy
Gtjoey1314

Old 10-21-2018, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

From an article in the UK Sunday Express a few days ago.:

"Last year the Government announced that it would be banning the sale of new petrol and diesel cars in the UK by 2040.

The announcement was made to help allow Britain to achieve its pollution targets and push motorists towards buying lower emission variants such as electric, hydrogen and plug-in hybrids.

Transport is the worst sector for carbon emissions in the UK, which why there have been calls to have a more “ambitious plan” to tackle the problem."

A ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars could be brought forward as MPs call for the ban to be introduced in 2032.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Remember when DIESEL was the second coming of JESUS in Europe?
800 miles to the tank and super clean. Now just 3 years later and NEW PoLITICIANS , if you say the word diesel you will be strung up like Mussolini from the old days.
GTJOEY1314

Old 10-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

I fail to see any mention of wind or solar energy in the article. Electric vehicles don't care what generates the power that recharges their batteries.
And where do you think they'll get the electricity from? This announcement (sort of) by Jaguar is nothing but corporate virtue signaling. The notion that we will/can rely solely on EVs in 20 years "to save the planet" is pure BS. Fossil fuels will be powering cars until we run out (even if they're EVs) and with the known reserves that will be centuries. All these countries claiming they will do away with ICE vehicles even this century much less in 20 years are talking out of their politicians' asses unless they go full nuclear generation and even then we couldn't build them fast enough to replace fossil fuel plants.That is unless you want to revert to a 19th century lifestyle.

The following 2 users liked this post by mleskovar:
Count Iblis (10-25-2018), Kodiak (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My main take-away from this article is that the XF (after all, this is the X260 sub-forum) might get replaced by an EV crossover in 5 or so years. It doesn't get political and make any statements about the future of the auto industry, except to say that other luxury makes are moving to EV and that Jaguar maybe sees a way to beat these companies to the punch.

There could be some corporate posturing here, but also, it wouldn't be that big a stretch for the Jaguar half of Jaguar/Land Rover to eventually move all models to EV while Land Rover continues to crank out gas powered models. As we've seen from Tesla, it's easier to make money on a more luxury oriented EV (where's the $35,000 Model 3?).

Old 10-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madgrey
My main take-away from this article is that the XF (after all, this is the X260 sub-forum) might get replaced by an EV crossover in 5 or so years. It doesn't get political and make any statements about the future of the auto industry, except to say that other luxury makes are moving to EV and that Jaguar maybe sees a way to beat these companies to the punch.

There could be some corporate posturing here, but also, it wouldn't be that big a stretch for the Jaguar half of Jaguar/Land Rover to eventually move all models to EV while Land Rover continues to crank out gas powered models. As we've seen from Tesla, it's easier to make money on a more luxury oriented EV (where's the $35,000 Model 3?).
Yes, that's the wonder. JLR has Land Rover that makes SUVs and Jaguar that makes cars. So, now they want both brands to make SUVs -- it doesn't make much sense to me. But perhaps the brand differentiation is that LR makes gas SUVs and Jaguar makes electric SUVs?

I just got into Jaguar with an XE and have been totally awed by that car, so I was thinking if the next car should be an XF. It seems I only have a few years window to get one, then Jaguar as we know it (maker of sporty cars) will be gone.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 AM

And where do you think they'll get the electricity from? This announcement (sort of) by Jaguar is nothing but corporate virtue signaling. The notion that we will/can rely solely on EVs in 20 years "to save the planet" is pure BS. Fossil fuels will be powering cars until we run out (even if they're EVs) and with the known reserves that will be centuries. All these countries claiming they will do away with ICE vehicles even this century much less in 20 years are talking out of their politicians' asses unless they go full nuclear generation and even then we couldn't build them fast enough to replace fossil fuel plants.That is unless you want to revert to a 19th century lifestyle.
Ok, I'll get off your lawn.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, I'll get off your lawn.
So what's your answer as to where do you think the electricity will come from? If Jaguar goes all electric we can kiss them goodbye is my point. They won't and neither will any other ICE car manufacturer in the foreseeable future because it will be a going out of business decision. Articles like the one you posted a link to are pure corporate virtue signaling. If any of the car companies that have made similar announcements, and there's been a few, were really serious about going all electric they would be lobbying for the very nuclear power that the Green Blob has been lobbying against successfully or they wouldn't have a market.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

.The following was taken from an article published in January of this year.:

"Diesel cars simply don’t get enough love. That’s especially true here in the United States as we associate diesel with stinky buses and tractor-trailers. In Europe, the use of diesel has always been more commonplace than it is here in the U.S. As electric vehicle technology continues to advance, the diesel market in Europe is beginning to slide.

According to The Telegraph, Aston University automotive expert Professor David Bailey says diesel market share is shrinking. He says there’s a perfect storm brewing right now that’s likely to continue to put pressure on diesel cars. Last year, demand for new diesel cars fell by 17.1 percent in the U.K. He’s expecting that market share could collapse to just 15 percent of the overall market by 2025. In 2016, diesel commanded 47.7 percent of the market, dipping to 42 percent last year.

The drop can be attributed to bad PR about pollution, increasingly strict government regulations and a dip in second-hand diesel car prices. Part of that regulation included a new tax on the sale of diesel cars. New diesel car sales plunged 31.1 percent in the month following the tax announcement.

Britain’s largest auto manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, warned against what it called “the demonization” of diesel. The company has made substantial investments in clean diesel and hybrid technology. It also note that diesel vehicles made up nearly 80 percent of its car sales in the U.K. last year."

Diesel car owners have been played in a big way. Whos to say petrol car owners will not be played the same way?

Last edited by jackra_1; 10-23-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's your answer as to where do you think the electricity will come from? If Jaguar goes all electric we can kiss them goodbye is my point. They won't and neither will any other ICE car manufacturer in the foreseeable future because it will be a going out of business decision. Articles like the one you posted a link to are pure corporate virtue signaling. If any of the car companies that have made similar announcements, and there's been a few, were really serious about going all electric they would be lobbying for the very nuclear power that the Green Blob has been lobbying against successfully or they wouldn't have a market.
The way I see it, there will be winners and losers. There's room in the world for all electric fleets from at least a few makes, and like anything else, the first there (e.g Jaguar) might have a better chance than the late-comers and also-rans. Tesla is making a run at winning with an all electric fleet of cars, and people love them. It's arguable that they'll succeed in the long run, but that doesn't change my basic premise.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madgrey
The way I see it, there will be winners and losers. There's room in the world for all electric fleets from at least a few makes, and like anything else, the first there (e.g Jaguar) might have a better chance than the late-comers and also-rans. Tesla is making a run at winning with an all electric fleet of cars, and people love them. It's arguable that they'll succeed in the long run, but that doesn't change my basic premise.
I personally prefer the quiet, smooth, responsive, and quick acceleration attributes of EVs and would prefer one if it met my range requirement. With all the positive aspects of electric cars there's no doubt they will eventually succeed in a niche environment. Namely: small area, high density, access to overnight charging at home (almost a necessity), and well paid buyers. For a company to say they are considering converting from a successful ICE lineup to an all electric lineup with only 10% of its' previous available buyers is business suicide and I think that's the subject of the linked article and this thread. No? Also I see every major manufacturer offering EVs just to stay in the game and face it, it's easier than building and supporting ICE vehicles.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Well an Accord would have been more practical for running around town but I bought an XF mainly because I thought it was going to be my last chance to enjoy a V8 sedan. By the time I wear it out (only 37K miles so far), I figure my only choices for a late model anything will be either a small-displacement turbo, hybrid or perhaps by then, there will finally be something cool in an EV in the used car market from a major manufacturer. But enjoy your 8 cylinder XF's now while you still can. If you've got the means, maybe buy several and put them away in storage. That's the way we men do with clothes right? Find something that fits, is comfortable and durable, you know they won't still be making that same shoe or shirt when you've worn it out so you buy several and just break out a new one every few years. It's either that or keep up with the latest fashion trends like a teenager.

Last edited by pdupler; 10-23-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM

Who takes a Horse and Buggy to work?
Who drives their Model T to school?
Who drives their 6 volt positive ground car to the store?
Its change and its coming.....You all know where I stand and have the money to SHIP PETROL to my house which many are starting to do with racing non ethanol gas.
Just look at it this way, No....antifreeze, rear diff fluid, water, transmission fluid, engine oil , spark plugs, air filters and soooo much more.
This patch to our age group will be a moot point as in 30 years no one will care about driving, they are too lazy and cannot afford a car.
It will be government transportation , except for the uber rich, by then we wont have to worry, Mortality Table wise
Only 95 years ago , just 95 years ago, 85 % of the earth moved by horse and buggy. A pimple compared to 3,000 of life on earth , NO?
I drove my db4 to work, just to blow carbon on my workers parking spots, haaaaaaa
GTJOEY1314

Old 10-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gtjoey
... No....antifreeze, rear diff fluid, ... transmission fluid, .......
There's coolant for the battery packs. They still have transmissions (one fixed reduction gear) and differentials with fluid. They are harder on the drive train because of all the instant torque. Brake pads probably last longer due to regen braking. Tires and suspension get more of a workout than an ICE car because of the extra weight. Unless I'm mistaken, the yearly maintenance visit for the Tesla costs about the same as an oil change on an ICE car. Maintenance should be less due to fewer moving parts in the drive train but ICE cars are very reliable these days. Aging batteries is a looming problem and their cost is unavoidable and significant. I bet cost of ownership, including charging stations and ever rising electricity rates will be the same for both EVs and ICE cars and initial purchase is more for EVs. TINSTAFL

Old 10-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody at Car&Driver must be eating Magic Mushrooms. I have been advised by Jaguar official here that Jaguar would have electric OR hybrid cars across all its lines by 2025. There is not and will not be adequate charging stations for many years imho. When I see ALL gas stations with lines of plugins replacing fuel pumps I will go Electric. I am unconvinced Lithium batteries are the long term solution and, the pollution and environmental hazards from manufacturing all these batteries plus disposing of them plus the costs really is a big red flag IMHO. I also expect the cost of recharging will go up exponentially as more people buy the battery rigs. Groan.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

In the UK press today JLR "temporary" plant shutdowns are announced due to lack of demand.

Also:

"Jaguar Land Rover recently said that if the UK government did not get "the right Brexit" it would cost them more than £1bn a year - and lead to big job losses".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jaguar Considering Going Fully Electric