Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF (X260) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/)
-   -   new XF wagon SIM card and software problems (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/new-xf-wagon-sim-card-software-problems-211741/)

postcard77 12-15-2018 12:27 AM

new XF wagon SIM card and software problems

Hi. Longtime lurker here. I just traded in my f-type for a new XF wagon. I bought the car last week but for this whole week it's been back at the dealer as they try to make the sim card work. Every day I get a call that they're going to have it done in just one more day. The latest is that they messed up the capitalization of the state name when they tied an address to the sim init, so that was holding it up. Then after all that at the end of day today I got another call saying the whole software had crashed after they put a fresh sim in.

I don't see much in the forums about this, but it looks like the sim is a known pain point?

It's starting to make me regret the whole thing. Really don't like starting off this way... but I do want the car. All I need the sim for is in-car traffic, right? (Forget the hotspot.) which is a nice to have but at some point I'd be willing to forget it if they gave me something for the deletion?

This is like the scare stories around electronic problems on jaguar of old...

RGT 12-15-2018 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by postcard77 (Post 2001161)
Hi. Longtime lurker here. I just traded in my f-type for a new XF wagon. I bought the car last week but for this whole week it's been back at the dealer as they try to make the sim card work. Every day I get a call that they're going to have it done in just one more day. The latest is that they messed up the capitalization of the state name when they tied an address to the sim init, so that was holding it up. Then after all that at the end of day today I got another call saying the whole software had crashed after they put a fresh sim in.

I don't see much in the forums about this, but it looks like the sim is a known pain point?

It's starting to make me regret the whole thing. Really don't like starting off this way... but I do want the car. All I need the sim for is in-car traffic, right? (Forget the hotspot.) which is a nice to have but at some point I'd be willing to forget it if they gave me something for the deletion?

This is like the scare stories around electronic problems on jaguar of old...

Just got into an XF wagon myself a couple of weeks ago and while my sim is working fine, it's apparently only good for 3 months. I was thinking of switching to a sim on my own provider instead of using the ATT one they have in there, but this story is scaring me. Is it not just a matter of putting in any sim just like on a regular phone?

postcard77 12-17-2018 11:15 AM

The salesman told me that the hotspot is good for 3 months but traffic data will work forever without paying AT&T. If that's not true I'm going to be really angry.

As far as putting in a generic sim... based on my conversations w/ them and how much they were going through w/ AT&T I highly doubt it.

gtjoey 12-17-2018 06:16 PM

The car is well worth it...…..I don't use any of that stuff, its a dream ride.
9,000 miles in 6 months, never gone back for a thing..
good luck
gtjoey1314

RGT 12-18-2018 12:08 PM

My salesman made it a point to explain that after 3 months I'll lose the real-time traffic if I don't re-up on the ATT sim. The tech who gave me the car overview (probably the most comprehensive I've ever had at 20 minutes long) also said the same thing. I'm guessing if people care, they'll pay, and those that don't probably won't even notice that stuff is gone.

postcard77 12-18-2018 01:31 PM

Well I got my car back. The first time I drove it it had some error dialog saying "data exceeded" but I see traffic and things are ok. So far so good.

Ledmi 12-21-2018 02:56 PM

My XF-S had the same problem

I had a 2016 with this similar problem. My enroute kept showing my car at different position. After few week at the dealer, trade for a new 2017 XF-S. The dealer said that this one would have no problem. Same thing. The car sat at the dealer for 4 weeks. They change all the electronics and motherboard. It was ok and then, since this week I can’t start my car with the apps. It doesn’t communicate with the car.

Wich I had bought another Volvo.

postcard77 12-21-2018 04:07 PM

Yeah it's super frustrating. My problems are limited to the sim, as yet no problems with gps.

The dialog box is popping up constantly. I spent some time on the phone w/ the dealer yesterday to see if they can fix it on their end.

Ledmi 12-21-2018 04:17 PM

Yes but even with the sim

could you communicate with your car with the Jaguar apps ???

mine was working with the GPS but no Incontrol communication with the Enroute or Remote apps.

RGT 12-22-2018 04:04 PM

I've been trying to go through all my registration info to make sure I keep records of all the places I registered and it looks like there's at least 3 so far: one for Jaguar InControl, one for ATT for the sim card and another different Jaguar location.

I wonder if for the people having issues with the SIM, if all 3 needs to be in synch, or if the InControl portal needs to have updated info on the SIM being used.
There's the ATT portal itself: https://myvehicle.att.com/#/jlr/landing
The InControl portal: https://incontrol.jaguar.com/jaguar-...ner-web/select and that ends up redirecting to the ATT landing site at one point when talking about Data Services and one other Jag site that I can't find right now, but that I registered via the phone app.

I do know that when I was picking up the car a few weeks ago, the tech sat in the car with me and had to allow something from his own phone portal to let my registration go through. So very likely there's a checkbox missing somewhere that they don't know to check.

Ledmi 12-22-2018 04:57 PM

SIM card

First are you using the AT&T SIM card for WiFi and web data ? Because you need a data package. If not, you still need the same AT&T card to use it for your Incontrol package witch (in Canada) come with a 4 years suscription. This is necessary to use the Jaguar apps (Remote, Enroute) and receive the trafic info with your GPS.

ololly 12-22-2018 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ledmi (Post 2004237)
First are you using the AT&T SIM card for WiFi and web data ? Because you need a data package. If not, you still need the same AT&T card to use it for your Incontrol package witch (in Canada) come with a 4 years suscription. This is necessary to use the Jaguar apps (Remote, Enroute) and receive the trafic info with your GPS.

I don't think you need a data package. Because I don't have it, I don't have WiFi, yet I receive all the traffic info and I am able to communicate with ICT and start the car successfully from the app. And yes, my SIM slot is empty.