Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF (X260) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/)
-   -   Upgrading from XE to XF? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/upgrading-xe-xf-211275/)

ahost 12-01-2018 05:50 PM

Upgrading from XE to XF?

I currently lease a Jaguar XE (the 2.5T), and that is one amazing car! It is definitely the most fun to drive car I have had over Mercedes, Cadillac, Acura, BMW. So, I'm thinking when the lease expires to buy either a Jaguar XE or XF. But what do I get out of buying an XF over XE except a slightly larger car? Did anyone upgrade from XE to XF? Two options
1. I buy a base model with a few upgrades of either, and pocket the difference. Is the XF worth the extra money?
2. I compare the same dollar amount XE and XF. Probably I could get the V6 XE for the same price I would spend for a base model XF? Would that make the XE much nicer than the XF?

My issue is that XE and XF seem quite similar, whereas Mercedes C and E, and BMW 3 and 5 seem totally different cars. Just perception?

ahost 12-04-2018 02:13 PM

Well, I did some research myself using the official jaguar website for option 2: I use the same amount on an XF and XE

30t XF: XF premium with added keyless entry: $54,575

For that I could get

XE S: $54,780

30t XE: XE prestige with Vision pack, Comfort and Convenience pack, and adaptive dynamics OR Head-up display $54,380

I must say the XE S looks appealing compared to the XF. On the other hand, having driven the 3.5t as a loaner, I would say the Jaguar 4-cylinder engines are already so good that I'm not sure the 6-cylinder engine makes that much of a difference.

Yehaman 12-04-2018 05:45 PM

Buy a Sportbrake S.......I'm under the impression huge discounts on them...or you could always get that XE S - that would be a fun ride..

ahost 12-04-2018 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yehaman (Post 1997107)
Buy a Sportbrake S.......I'm under the impression huge discounts on them...or you could always get that XE S - that would be a fun ride..

I should check out that. I have an older Cadillac CTS sportswagon, and the Sportsbrake could replace that (I don't like SUVs). So, that is the car I really want. But I fear that even with big discounts, the Sportsbrake get into a completely different pricing category.

Yehaman 12-04-2018 06:49 PM

Where are you located? Actually doesn't really matter as long as your in the States. Any dealer can ship one to you. The figures I recall, could put you right around the numbers you listed above. The car isn't in high demand.

Bat One 12-08-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Yehaman (Post 1997123)
Where are you located? Actually doesn't really matter as long as your in the States. Any dealer can ship one to you. The figures I recall, could put you right around the numbers you listed above. The car isn't in high demand.

Buy the Sportbrake. You won't be disappointed. I came out of a 16 CTS, the Sportbrake is much more sport than luxury and that is the way I like it! The supercharged 6 cyl is a monster!

madgrey 12-08-2018 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bat One (Post 1998505)
Buy the Sportbrake. You won't be disappointed. I came out of a 16 CTS, the Sportbrake is much more sport than luxury and that is the way I like it! The supercharged 6 cyl is a monster!

I couldn't agree more. Wagons are dying off to make room for CUVs, at least Jaguar is keeping them alive for another year. I would have considered a CTS wagon if these hadn't been discontinued, or an S6 wagon if available in the U.S. I drove the Volvo V90, which was pretty nice, but it was more luxury than sport and its was a 5 month wait to order the one I wanted. The sales guy basically talked me out of it.

RGT 12-08-2018 03:27 PM

new to Jag family

Just wanted to chime in on the Sportbrake. Got mine about a week ago and so far very positive impressions overall. I walked into the dealership with a buddy who was interested in the XE. He did not like it, but when the sales guy mentioned the wagon, I said I'd love one, just not for the money they are asking for it. To which he made me an offer that I thought was an April's fool joke, but in November.

Long story short, I got out of my BMW 335GT lease early and I'm still paying less a month than I was for that car.

The Sportbrake looks amazing in person and I still find myself staring at it when I walk out of a store and see it :)

BruceTheQuail 12-09-2018 04:58 PM

Hi. We have the 25T in the R sport. I've also driven a number of other XE's, including the XE S (what you would call the 35T R Sport, as it was the 240Kw version) several times on the track and about town. I've driven the XF 25T as a loaner. On top of that I had 2 previous gen XF's, but really they are nothing like the new one so that is not adding toi my cred, but then I have the F Type S with the 280 Kw engine so I'm familiar with that.

I really enjoyed driving the new XF in the 25T. The engine/transmission match is better than it is in the ecoboost 25T XE, not sure about the igenium 25T XE. The car is quite a bit bigger than the XE inside, most noticeably in the rear seats. The launch is good, it handles really nicely about town, and was all up a pleasure to drive, much better than I thought it would be. The new infotainment with the 10 inch screen was a nice touch.

All of that said, my feeling is that the XE is more of a "sporty" (I hate that expression) car. It feels more snug, you sit lower, it is just tighter all round. As good as the XF was, the XE is nicer as a sports sedan IMO. That said, if you are after a premium car, the XF might be better.