XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Wait 3 months for build, car arrives, wrong interior!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wait 3 months for build, car arrives, wrong interior!

My worst nightmare! Wait three months for my new car to arrive, then it arrives with the wrong interior! Was supposed to have the Ebony/Light Oyster interior. What I got was just Ebony. Checked the order form, says "Ebony Fascia/Ebony Sport Seat Lt Oyster St." I thought that meant Ebony with Lt Oyster as I'd ordered, but really means Ebony with Lt Oyster STITCHING, not the Ebony/Lt Oyster choice as shown in the on line build and price configurator. What the salesman and I worked up on the configurator somehow did not get entered into the order form with all the codes correctly, and neither of us caught the error. Granted the printout isn't very clear unless you knew better, but I'd have expected the salesman to have known the difference, but apparently he didn't. I don't know how they could expect the customer to have spotted the error. I only saw Ebony with Lt Oyster. The St was carried over to the next line, so easy to miss, but even then how was I to know that meant the stitching color?

So I tell them no problem, simply order new front and rear seats, new interior door panels, and console lid, swap them out, good as new. They tell me Jaguar would likely simply send them the right color leather and they'd have to "fix" it. I've no confidence whoever does this reupholstering has the ability to match the original, so that's clearly out of the picture. What I don't understand, is this is just parts. Why is it not possible to simply swap them out? There must be times an entire seat has to be replaced, or console lid, or door panel. I see this as their mistake to correct, and not by attempting to replace the leather. Only other option is to reorder the car, and wait another 3 months for delivery. Meanwhile the dealer is stuck with a fully optioned out XF S AWD with an $83,055 MSRP. I was getting it at invoice price, which is 6% less than MSRP, but still most won't want to have all those options and won't want to pay that price for an XF, which is why I had to special order it. You just don't find fully loaded cars on the lots. They're too hard to sell. The dealer may offer to lower the price if I accept it as is, but I refuse to do that. I've wanted a Jag for at least 20 years now, and at that price I refuse to compromise on the configuration, particularly when this is likely my one and only opportunity to get exactly what I want.

So, any thoughts on this? Will have to wait until Monday for them to call the factory rep to see what can be done short of reordering the car. By the way, this is the second time I've shown up to take delivery. The first time was a week ago when I was told it would be on that Friday's truck, only to find out after waiting 3 1/2 hours that it didn't make the truck after all and wouldn't arrive until this past Friday. Imagine waiting three months for your dream car, (including tracking shipment all the way across the Atlantic), only to find out not once, but twice, that it's not to be. My salesman needs to find a new job. Attention to detail doesn't seem to be his strong point. This is the same guy who "confirmed" my car would have a flat-bottomed steering wheel. I didn't order that, but my order form shows "F95T Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel - DO NOT ORDER SEPARATELY". That's a whole different thread. This was not requested and is nowhere in the configurator to choose from and is not shown in the brochure, so I asked him to check into it and he replied "Yes, it will have the flat-bottomed steering wheel." Guess what - car arrives with normal round steering wheel. Clearly he didn't bother to check with someone show really could confirm whether it would have it before telling me it would. I'd accept either, but don't like all the confusion created by the entry on my paperwork and his inability to set it straight.

Last edited by Van Greenwood (Sandman799); 07-22-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Grrrr..... Surprises when the car shows up are no fun. I would let them make the exchange of material like they said they would do. Be very critical when you inspect it. My guess is an upholstery shop will do the work anyway. Shat happens but you'll forget about this going forward as you get to enjoy your car. And you will

Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not surprised that they wouldn't just swap out the interior with new parts. I had built an XF-S through the configurator and presented it to my sales guy. I asked if I could swap the XF wheels for the much prettier XE 1014 style wheels and he said they can't.
I'd end up having to buy a set of 1014's and swap them myself.

Either way you go - do scrutinize the work that is performed. When the dust settles you will thoroughly enjoy your car.

Attached Thumbnails Wait 3 months for build, car arrives, wrong interior!-jaguar-xe-s-212713532-8.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
.... I asked if I could swap the XF wheels for the much prettier XE 1014 style wheels and he said they can't.
I insisted on swapping 19" wheels with 18" wheels for my ordered Prestige or I wouldn't buy the car. They did it

Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, finally got it worked out. The dealer said the cost to replace the interior would be over $6,500. The door panels alone were $1,700 for all 4, and for the seats they'd only be replacing the seat leather. Seems more expensive than I'd have thought. My first thought as well was, OK, just get another car in with the interior I want and just swap it. In the U.S., there's some law on the books though that states that a car dealer must provide the car exactly as shown on the sticker, so if another Jag had the interior I want and it was swapped, they could sell the car, but if the buyer then decided he wanted the Oyster interior it was originally built with, they'd have to provide it. So, swapping interiors was out as well.

The cost to buy the parts was too much for the dealer to have to eat so they offered to simply reorder the car. I explained that with the interest rate hike in just the last few weeks, a new loan would cost me an additional $1000 in interest, and that's with me putting $15,000 down. I wasn't willing to have their mistake cost me money, but I did offer to go ahead and buy the car if he reduced the price further to compensate for the wrong interior. I was already getting it at invoice price, which is an even 6% less than sticker, so I asked for 10% off, they countered with 8%, so I split the difference with 9% under sticker, or 3% under invoice. That saved an additional $2500, and I got a 2.45% interest rate.

In the end, I'm ok with it now. I may be just trying to rationalize it in my own mind, but I did have concerns about how it would be to try to keep those Light Oyster seats clean. Also, if I turn the situation around and ask myself if those seats were an option that cost $2500, would I buy them? The answer is no, so while I might have preferred them initially, I didn't like them $2500 worth.

Next Tuesday I'm getting the car paint corrected (for whatever factory swirls or blemishes there may be), highly polished, and having Suntek Ultra paint protection film applied to the entire front, hood, bumper, both front fenders, mirrors, A-pillars, rocker panels, splash areas behind rear wheels, and trunk ledge. Then over the entire car having 2 coats of CQuartz Finest Reserve ceramic coating applied, including all wheels, and having the interior treated. That'll take a week to do, but once that's done, I'm having Formula One Stratos nano-ceramic window tint applied. Then I'll finally be able to enjoy this beast. Until the paint's protected it's pretty much staying garaged! Will post pics once it's all done though.

Last edited by Van Greenwood (Sandman799); 07-26-2017 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (09-22-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I insisted on swapping 19" wheels with 18" wheels for my ordered Prestige or I wouldn't buy the car. They did it
Why did you choose 18 inch wheels. I have 19s. no problem. Might be pricier to replace though. Nice car you have and like colours.
AL

Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
Why did you choose 18 inch wheels......
I drove the car with both and found that I don't push the cornering enough to tell a difference in handling and the 18" are quieter and smoother. I like the look of lower profile tires but my racing days are behind me My driving is mostly around town and on the open straight road going across the desert so from a comfort perspective they are better for me. Actually the suspension on the XF makes just about any tire feel good in the corners.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway, its sill a very nice car, enjoy IT!!!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all oyster interior on my XE (not black/oyster). It's incredibly beautiful BUT I agree it requires constant attention. I baby it and even sit on a towel, but still find myself constantly cleaning with wipes and rags.

Mine is a lease, so I knew the leather would only have to last 3 years. If I were buying long term, I would probably go black.

On the XE, JLR didn't put much money into the interior, so I think the oyster is almost mandatory to look upscale. Your XF interior is much nicer.

Enjoy.

If you don't mind me asking, what's that SunTek application costing you ? Is that the same as the "clear bra" thing?

Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Default Even worse for me

This is my first post on the forum.

I ordered my XF S on May 24th based on the Jag configurator - Indus Silver / Ebony Pimento with all options except black package and black wheels. I got the call from the dealer finally on Nov 4th that the car was in and I asked they send me the sticker to confirm car was as spec'd - NOT EVEN CLOSE - ext/int color wrong, wrong wheels, and most packages missing but also had black package.

No other car like mine in US and checked another local dealer and they have nothing on order close. No 2017s either available in USA that are close. Dealer reordered car and waiting to hear today when the car will be built. To top it all I intended to drive XF S to FLA this winter from LI and now cannot do, so cannot take delivery until April AND the car was ordered with 'promise' of late Sept delivery and I already had to pay two month extension on my Ghibli lease.

Dealer promised me a service loaner until I go to FLA in early January - pickup promised for tomorrow.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a nightmare. There's no way they should be getting those builds wrong like that. Glad I've always found what I wanted on the lot.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

This was clearly the salesman's fault in not making sure your choice was really matching what you wanted.

The Jaguar factory actually / probably built a car exactly as the salesman configured.

I used the online configurator at jaguarusa.com, chose my exact specifications, printed the quote and brought it to the dealer. Then the dealer simply ordered off the quote quote I made. Sounds like you did this as well, and the salesperson effed it up.

I'm sorry that your experience was another example of the ineptitude of a car sales person. The dealer "should" structure the salesperson's pay scale to dissuade such oversights. And they should be falling over themselves trying to get this right.

If it had been me, I'd have returned the car the dealer got wrong, and demanded a loner until your new order was built and delivered to your satisfaction. The responsibility for this mistake rests squarely on the dealer.

Maybe you might have gotten to drive a f-type for free for a couple months...?

Most importantly, are you happy now?

Last edited by Austin7; 11-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:33 AM

Picked up free loaner yesterday from GM at dealer- FPACE SUV 35 Premium.

To clarify I never accepted the 'ordered' car and the new GM is "doing the right thing" - even talking to Jag to see if he can finegle/expedite a fresh build asap for my winter drive to FLA.
That looks very unlikely (late Jan 2018 seems earliest) so will pickup on my return from FLA; GM agreed to substitute AS 3+ pilots in lieu of Cinturato and I will add front/rear mud flaps too.

On my previous car I used XPEL on front and am thinking of doing same for the XF S - similar to thread starter.

Anyone have suggestions re: tinting, wheel tire insurance for XF - I had on my Ghibli but that was leased not purchased?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

thats not bad, hopefully its not costing you any more, honoring the original deal.

what kind of loaner did they give you?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 AM

I am a glass half full kind of guys so I am using the F-PACE to learn the internal controls of the Jaguar and the Touch Screen system; I had that on my Ghibli and much prefer it to the likes of the MMI etc from our Teutonic friends.

The 'wrong' car came with Pirelli Cinturato tires, which are less that stellar in rain/snow so dealer is substituting Michelin AS 3+ .

In terms of price/'deal', given the original order was ****ed up, I have much more pricing leverage than in last May and who knows may also be able to take advantage of a mid year incentive on the car.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by doubledeetob

The 'wrong' car came with Pirelli Cinturato tires, which are less that stellar in rain/snow so dealer is substituting Michelin AS 3+ .

In terms of price/'deal', given the original order was ****ed up, I have much more pricing leverage than in last May and who knows may also be able to take advantage of a mid year incentive on the car.
++

So glad to hear the Dealer and the GM stepped up...this is the way it should be! You'll be way happier to wait for your exact custom build, and it's always a pleasure to try Jags different offerings.

Idea: Check with your dealer and see when and where the next "Jaguar Experience" day is near you. It is worth even a long drive to get to and participate in, they have professional racers who will coach you on driving the XE, and then the F-Type, on a closed course.

There is also this:

https://www.jaguarusa.com/experience...our/index.html

Enjoy your investment! let us know how she is when it gets here.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 AM

I have used XPEL Ultimate on my previous cars, but what is the current 'going rate' for the protection film, ceramic coating, tinting and interior treatment? I am in NYS so tinting is 70% and my local XPEL dealer is Detailing Dynamics.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:06 AM

My 'reorder' arrived on time and as spec'd - silver lining being in March 2018 there is Jaguar $ 1500 incentive so GM sold me car at an aggressive price. He did everything he could to make me a happy customer. Given the roads on Ling Island and 20" wheels also obtained 5 yr tire/rim coverage; my previous car (Mas Ghibli) needed three tires in three years and the cost for Jag coverage much less.

Flew back from FLA and picked up car from dealer and dropped off at best detailing place in Nassau County for 3M Crystalline (NYS 70%), XPEL Ultimate )hood fenders - front of car) and full (including wheels) ceramic/nano protection. Will pick up car for real after driving back to Long Island next weekend.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Enjoy! What you want is worth waiting for.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just rolled over 30,000 kms(about 19,000 miles) on my 2016 XF AWD Prestige. Best car I have ever owned. Only problem so far is my auto reverse dipping stopped working. The screen shows to tick it off but isn't working. It will be for routine oil/filter next week and they can fix it. Otherwise, great car. For cleaning the light oyster leather I use AutoGlym. I do NOT wear cheap jeans as the colour will come off. The Levi's I have don't affect the seats.
Greetings from Vancouver Island.
Al