Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   2009 Jaguar Xf (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/2009-jaguar-xf-214976/)

Nichols420 03-13-2019 08:01 AM

2009 Jaguar Xf

I have a 2009 jaguar xf. had drained some coolant out of cooling system and now my car over heats. i beleive theres air in the system. how do i get all the air out of the system?

lotusespritse 03-13-2019 09:11 AM

There are bleed valves. Don't know where on your model year.

I love using my coolant vacuum filler because I never need to worry about that problem anymore. You can rent them for free at parts stores:

Nichols420 03-14-2019 05:58 AM

2009 Jaguar xf

will the vacuum open up the thermostat also is there another cheaper way of bleeding the air out of the cooling system?

Brutal 03-14-2019 11:26 AM

The bleed screw on the 4.2 is the plug on top of the coolant reservoir, take it out and start and run for 20 sec. Keep the reservoir full to the fill line inside. Then put the plug back in loose and i run the engine a bit with the heater full blast till bubbles quit coming out. Doesnt usually take long. Tighten plug and let cool down, top up to correct level and that should do it. This is probobly not what it says in the jaguar manual because some people know i dont read them things :)

Nichols420 03-14-2019 01:25 PM

okay thank you for the info. if the pocket of air is to much and it wont circulate in a certain part of the cooling sytem the bleed screw wont work,right? only for small amounts of air?

Nichols420 03-14-2019 01:26 PM

Also are there other bleeder valves ont he cooling system?

Brutal 03-14-2019 02:00 PM

no that is the top of the system and that hose comes from top of the thermostat housing. also try this, squeeze the upper radiator hose to displace coolant then before you release it put your finger over the opening so it doesn't pull air back in from the bleed opening, then release. this displaces coolant and draws more back in from the bottom of the reservoir. repeat till coolant comes out the bleeder in a flow. the 4.2 does not suffer nearly as much as the 5.0 from airlocks so this should work for you. after you do this run the car several times at 3krpm then shut off and repeat. really past this you may have other issues like a failure of the internal passage in the t stat housing that doesn't let the coolant circulate correctly and or the water pump failed inside or pieces of the broken housing are wedged in the vanes. I have seen it all

Nichols420 03-18-2019 06:10 AM

2009 jaguar xf secondary water pump

Can the 2009 Jaguar xf run and not over heat without the secondary auxillary water pump working?

bob51 10-06-2021 07:12 PM

Don't know about the aux pump question for a Naturally Aspirated engine, but for the supercharged version the charge air will overheat and put you in restricted performance mode. Also the coolant vent on a supercharged engine is in a hose just to the left of the radiator when looking from the front, its not in the top of the coolant reservoir.