Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   2009 XF Differential (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/2009-xf-differential-124070/)

VapourTrail 07-05-2015 01:34 PM

The saga of the differential came to a head earlier last month with JLR North America’s “representative” saying "no" to anything but a pittance of help in the initial $8,900 quote to replace the differential, which after two months of back and forth to my local dealer, they finally figured out it in-fact, needed to be replaced, something my independent mechanic knew from the very beginning.
I give my local dealer partial credit for trying to do the right thing; however, as after I said NO! to the $8,900 bill (my independent shop quoted considerably less), they lowered it to $6,000. That said, they would not credit me the $858 already spent for a seal replacement just a couple of weeks earlier, so in effect the total bill would be in the vicinity of $6,900, again much higher than my independent. So, I took the car to my independent to have the differential replaced, only on the afternoon I dropped it off, the Service Manager from my local Jag dealer called and offered to reduce the price further as a gesture of good will for $5,600. Unfortunately, the offer was a day late and a dollar short. Keep in mind this has now been going on since February.
Here is the gist of it; the car was only out of warranty for six months due to time, but below the warranty’s milage expiration of. But expired is expired and JLR apparently only offers peanuts of “good will” (in this case $250 towards a $8,900 bill), even though there were numerous technical service bulletins and cases relating to this exact issue due to “contamination” during the differential’s manufacturing. One even states: “fix before sale.” The first bulletin dates back to March of 2009, yet Jaguar did not think it prudent to advise potential buyers that this might be a problem.You buy a certified pre-owned (CPO) car from a dealer and you expect it to perform suitably for some time. That’s why you pay the extra cost to by CPO. Jaguar knew about this problem, but took no steps to alleviate it. No recall, no warning, just a few TSB’s out to dealers.
So there you have it. Now some $7,000+ poorer we have a completely new differential in the XF. To say I’m disappointed in Jaguar is an understatement. To be fair, I don’t blame my local Jag dealer. They are an independent dealer and they aren’t in the business of give away free repairs. At the end of the day they finally came up with what was in all probability a fair offer under the circumstances, but it was simply too late. Jaguar, on the other hand, in my opinion acted unethically and callously. The representative I talked to from JLR, “Jennifer,” was diffident and her feigned and scripted “I’m sorry you... blah, blah, blah,” left much to be desired. This is not over. I've filed with the NHTSA and will pursue venues with the BBB, Consumer Reports and whoever else may listen.
It's a shame really, because Jaguar's cars are brilliant to drive, they are just made like crap, just as they have been since the 70's.

jagular 07-06-2015 08:51 AM

When your dealer replaced the seal did he siphon out all the old oil and refill with clean oil". There's no drain hole.

Also, if you bought a CPO vehicle why isn't this covered?

What year is your XF?