Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   2010 XF Premium Buying Advice (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/2010-xf-premium-buying-advice-198562/)

fuzzyhippo 03-19-2018 12:30 PM

2010 XF Premium Buying Advice

After over a decade of be Jaguar-less I'm considering a 2010 XF.
Mileage approx. 70k.
I see there are a few guys that have had really bad experiences with the XF while others consider the model bullet proof.
Just looking for some practical advice.
I'm also considering a S Type R but seems as though most think that the XF handles better?
Thanks!

Etypephil 03-19-2018 12:52 PM

We are on our second XF. The first was a 2008 4.2 Premium Luxury; a really good car. The current one a 2013 XFR; probably the ultimate all round saloon car. Each car has needed one door latch mechanism, and that's it, trouble wise.
The S type R is an interesting alternative to an XF SV8; given that there is little difference in asking prices at the moment, if I was in that price market, I'm not sure what I'd do. Buy an X350 / X358 XJR instead?

I've just noticed your location; perhaps prices are not so easily comparable there.

jakesdad 03-19-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzyhippo (Post 1861836)
After over a decade of be Jaguar-less I'm considering a 2010 XF.
Mileage approx. 70k.
I see there are a few guys that have had really bad experiences with the XF while others consider the model bullet proof.
Just looking for some practical advice.
I'm also considering a S Type R but seems as though most think that the XF handles better?
Thanks!

for what it's worth, I have owned a 2005 s type since new and recently bought a 2009 xf. premium luxury. Strictly regarding enjoyability, the xf is much more fun to drive. To us, the xf almost feels like a corvette with a back seat, and we have owned 3 corvettes over the years. Just my opinion.

fuzzyhippo 03-20-2018 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Etypephil (Post 1861843)
We are on our second XF. The first was a 2008 4.2 Premium Luxury; a really good car. The current one a 2013 XFR; probably the ultimate all round saloon car. Each car has needed one door latch mechanism, and that's it, trouble wise.
The S type R is an interesting alternative to an XF SV8; given that there is little difference in asking prices at the moment, if I was in that price market, I'm not sure what I'd do. Buy an X350 / X358 XJR instead?

I've just noticed your location; perhaps prices are not so easily comparable there.

The 2005 S type R is several thousand dollars less than the 2010 XF with about the same mileage. I've always wanted the S type R because the uniqueness of it but the XF seems like a really nice car based on the advice here.

fuzzyhippo 03-20-2018 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jakesdad (Post 1861881)
for what it's worth, I have owned a 2005 s type since new and recently bought a 2009 xf. premium luxury. Strictly regarding enjoyability, the xf is much more fun to drive. To us, the xf almost feels like a corvette with a back seat, and we have owned 3 corvettes over the years. Just my opinion.

Wow! That's an awfully positive recommendation from a performance perspective.

max224 03-06-2024 09:21 AM

As someone that currently owns a 2002 S-Type, naturally aspirated 4.0L V8 AND a 2014 XF Supercharged 3.0 V6 AWD I thought I'd weigh in. The S-Type is fun to drive but I would recommend buying 2003 and up. They come with a 4.2L V8 that's also available in R trim with a supercharger. The early 4.0's were still dealing with the chain tensioner issues and came with a Ford 5-speed automatic which was not very good. The later models went for the ZF 5-speed, arguably a much better gearbox. My S-Type has the CATS computer-controlled suspension which required rebuilding early on in my ownership. In terms of comparison with the XF, the supercharged V6 is more responsive (about 50 more hp) and subjectively handles better.

I would keep both of them, but downsizing from a single-family home with a driveway and a garage to an apartment means S-Type and my X-Type wagon both have to go. I'll miss them both.