XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 Jaguar XFR Magnaflow Exhaust & Muffler Delete= Power Loss??

Old 06-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jaguar XFR Magnaflow Exhaust & Muffler Delete= Power Loss??

[I posted this on a different forum so this is sort of two threads/questions in one]

I've been looking around for an aftermarket exhaust for the XFR. The Spires stage 2, and Quicksilver systems sound nice but are a bit on the expensive side. I am trying to find something around $400-$500 or cheaper made out of stainless steel. I have been looking at the Magnaflow systems which seem to be a bit more affordable, however, I can't seem to find which parts to put on. I found a couple of videos on YouTube with Magnaflow systems but they don't say what parts they put on. I want something louder and a bit deeper than the stock system but still sounds raspy and makes all those pops and crackles. Here's a few of the videos I found:

This clip in particular I love>>

This one sounds good too>

If anyone can help figure out which Magnaflow parts will give me this sound, it will be greatly appreciated.
Also, I was debating removing the rear mufflers and just putting straight pipes with different tips in the back but I was reading some different threads about back pressure from the muffler being needed. Basically, from what I read removing the mufflers would result in a loss of low end torque but possibly free up some HP in the top end? Has anybody found this to be true? I always thought the easier flowing the exhaust gasses the more power but not from what I've recently read. I rather like the sound of no mufflers on the XFR but if it results in a loss of power forget it. Also, about how much would it cost to just put a straight pipe in place of the mufflers?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 AM

Also, I forgot to ask, a lot of the Magnaflow mufflers are labeled 'Straight Through Mufflers'. What is the difference between a straight through muffler and just a muffler delete other than obviously a straight through muffler would be not as loud. Would a straight through muffler still create backpressure?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

In my experience, on my 13 5.0 SC XF, removing the center resonator (the one that mixes the left and right flows) causes quite a bit of low end power loss. If you do, then you should go with an X pipe or at the very least H pipe.

H pipe will give you a lower tone than an X pipe. An X will give it more of a European "smooth" sound. Both are louder than the stock center pipes.

The rear boxes are what slows down the exhaust and reduces the pops. Stock boxes gives almost no pops and plenty of back pressure. Straight through mufflers are like resonators. Low back pressure but no real sound deadening, just a bit smoother than no boxes at all.

I can confirm that straight pipes without an X-pipe (no crossing of flows between each bank) and the stock rear boxes caused me to lose quite a bit of low end power. Sounded good, but too much power loss for me.

Before the x-pipe install, with no center resonators, and all drivers aids off, I could only spin the rear tires (no power braking, just floor it off a standing start) 1/2 way through 1st. With the x-pipe in place, I spin rear tires all the way through 1st and 3/4 through 2nd.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM

I have not had the car on a dyno, this is just what I feel. But it is much more "jumpy" off the start since I put an X pipe in after I had the straight pipes for a while. (always had the stock rear boxes).

Old 06-15-2017, 03:30 PM

So do you think having the rear boxes off will make a difference? I really love the sound with them off.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 PM

I never took my car for a drive with the rear boxes out.

I "think" you will lose some low end power, but I am not 100% on that.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

If you make big enough changes to the exhaust that considerably reduce the backpressure, then you will lose power, unless the engine tune is modified to compensate for this.

Regarding the exhaust design, it pays to look at what Jag did on the XFR-S and XKR-S models...

Here's the factory exhaust on the North American spec XFR-S;

2011 Jaguar XFR Magnaflow Exhaust & Muffler Delete= Power Loss??-18951205_10155243225911287_641017464427898144_n.jpg

2011 Jaguar XFR Magnaflow Exhaust & Muffler Delete= Power Loss??-18952576_10155243226316287_117128263593916610_n.jpg

And here's the factory exhaust on the XKR-S (and XKR's with the PAE);

2011 Jaguar XFR Magnaflow Exhaust & Muffler Delete= Power Loss??-p1010816.jpg

See the x-pipe? It's there for a reason...

The following users liked this post:
hendogg8 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone knows the diameter of the exhaust pipes? I want to order a prefab X-pipe.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did mine at a local exhaust shop for about the amount you're wanting to spend. I ended up removing both of my resonators. The rear resonator was replaced with an X-pipe. (did the x pipe in rear bc I think the xfr-s has it in the rear) I also removed the back boxes and replaced them with Magnaflow mufflers (part # 11216 less than $100 each 2.5 inch straight through inside). They directly swapped out with the stock back boxes and I kept the same stock quad tips.

The result sounds very mellow when not on the throttle, but sick/mean af when WOT. There are back pops now, and I can control when they come out based on lifting off throttle lol. I especially like opening it up around the tons of mustangs we have around here once and a while lol. I will post my other video if I get a chance but here's a quick startup and rev towards end of clip.

mrathell (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

How is the drone inside the cabin?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say the only time there is drone is when you get the rpms above 3k or higher and get off the throttle letting the rpms fall gradually is only time it really drones in my opinion.

I guess I am probably not the one to give an opinion though on droning though bc I don't really care about it. I used to sport a STI with turboback exhaust (still thought it needed to be louder) and just wanted my XFR loud af without losing the Jag sound. Going this route is what I think the XFR should sound like out of the box. I actually wouldn't mind trying the Borla Atak mufflers for a louder sound. The car is mean and should sound mean....just not like a mustang. Anyways, I am happy with the results. Happy hunting!

mrathell (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

The details on when I got my X pipe installed.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-enjoy-171341/

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by EK BALAM
Did mine at a local exhaust shop for about the amount you're wanting to spend. I ended up removing both of my resonators. The rear resonator was replaced with an X-pipe. (did the x pipe in rear bc I think the xfr-s has it in the rear) I also removed the back boxes and replaced them with Magnaflow mufflers (part # 11216 less than $100 each 2.5 inch straight through inside). They directly swapped out with the stock back boxes and I kept the same stock quad tips.

The result sounds very mellow when not on the throttle, but sick/mean af when WOT. There are back pops now, and I can control when they come out based on lifting off throttle lol. I especially like opening it up around the tons of mustangs we have around here once and a while lol. I will post my other video if I get a chance but here's a quick startup and rev towards end of clip.

https://youtu.be/EjmfwWbPI14
That sounds great! Do you have any videos of what it sounds like from inside the cabin or drive by shots? Also, what would my xfr sound like with just those Magnaflow mufflers? As in, what exactly did the X pipe do to change the sound?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:50 PM

So I've been researching the X pipe vs H pipe and the X pipe seems to make the car raspier while the H pipe seems to make the car deeper more like a muscle car. However, I can't find any videos of the XFR with the H pipe only X pipe. Does anybody know which one would be louder? Also, I was thinking of putting the 4 inch round Magnapack Magnaflow (Part #10416) in the rear to replace the standard mufflers. But again no video of a Jaguar with these mufflers. Does anybody know what these would sound like?

Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Default 2009 xf sc muffler question

Now I'm super confused!!!! I had my center resonator removed with stock boxes, am I losing power??? Already drony, was going to put back on, just bought 2 performance mufflers to replace stock, my question is do I need an x pipe or h pipe or do I put the stock resonator back on with my new mufflers??? I want loud and definitely zero power loss. Thanks so much! Happy 4th jaguar family.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by cyndav6875
Now I'm super confused!!!! I had my center resonator removed with stock boxes, am I losing power??? Already drony, was going to put back on, just bought 2 performance mufflers to replace stock, my question is do I need an x pipe or h pipe or do I put the stock resonator back on with my new mufflers??? I want loud and definitely zero power loss. Thanks so much! Happy 4th jaguar family.
​​​​​​I'm assuming you need an X pipe or an H pipe. However, I can't find which one is louder. I'm assuming stock resonators would be the quietest.