Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   2011 XF Purchace (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/2011-xf-purchace-205687/)

Chuck Schexnayder 07-27-2018 08:04 PM

2011 XF Purchace

I'm considering purchase of an 2011 XF and am looking for advice from those of you that have owned one.
Any words of wisdom or advice-------good or otherwise, would be appreciated.
Please, if you really don't actually have any knowledge of the car, save your comments. As you can see in my signature block, I'm not unaccustomed to the Jaguar.

Thanks.
Chuck

Kenika65 07-28-2018 08:52 AM

Engine?

Chuck Schexnayder 07-28-2018 12:19 PM

Kenika,65'
Thanks for the comeback. It's a V8 5.0. At least that's what the fellow said, but I know for sure it's a V8.

Chuck

Kenika65 07-28-2018 01:19 PM

Amazing vehicle!
V8 5.0 Monster!
Plan to fork out thousands to keep her on the road or even just to get it maintained.

But if you want an amazing sedan this is the one, worth the expense to keep it going.

I would find one with a SuperCharger better investment.

2012+ have a lot of updates like the glue used to keep the interior together.

Update us with a picture when you get her!

Jag#4 07-28-2018 04:43 PM

Mine is the 2011MY and my 5th Jag. Absolutely love the car. The 5.0 V8 is worth the price of admission alone.

Do some research first. They came in several flavors and option levels. As Kenika65 said, 2012 was an update year and is worth considering if you can go newer.

Come back here when you have it narrowed down to one or two and the forum will weigh in on price, options etc.

pdupler 07-28-2018 11:48 PM

I wouldn't just go buy the first one you come across. The XF like all Jaguars came in several trim levels with lots of options. I had to pass over whole bunch of beautiful, low mileage cars in the colors I wanted because not having adjustable lumbar support was going to be a dealbreaker for me. I suggest reading through the sales brochures to see what was available by year, drive a few before you decide what you want and then start the search in earnest.

Auto-Brochures.com|Car & Truck PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info

lotusespritse 07-29-2018 10:47 PM

Definitely get the Premium trim on that model year. The lower trim makes the interior go from classy and rich feeling to crappy.

Supercharger = lots of problems, and expensive at that. It's not needed as the NA 5.0 is a beast of an engine already that will give you all the power you want for dealing with daily driving.

The supercharged version as an investment?? LOL These cars will not be considered investment grade for another 50 to 100 years. They are daily drivers, a lot made, and will continue to depreciate until they are $0.

Plan a big maintenance of replacing all the plastic coolant pipes, hoses, water pump, and plastic cover in the fuel tank, along with all fluids. Around $2K in parts, and probably around $5K to have it done for you. Just need to add it to the price of the car, and if you can't afford the car without doing that maintenance, you will regret buying the car.

Even with the $5K in proactive maintenance, you will be at around $20K for a car that looks and performs so well that it would cost $80K to get the same caliber from a new luxury car.

Chuck Schexnayder 07-31-2018 01:24 PM

Just to update and bring the "Real" story to life, my search of this car had a problem with the VIN being recognized by a number of better known site's ; eg: NADA and Kelly BB, and some other known VIN search engines.

Not being a CARFAX believer, I at last got their site to accept the VIN and low and behold, the car ended up being a 2013 and not the 11 I was told, which was really a plus, but the kicker was it's a 4 banger and not the V8 I was also led to believe. Although the Tubo powered 4, was very responsive during the drive, it is still a 4 and from numerous reviews, not the publics choice.

Thus a decline in the purchase.

Thanks to you guys for providing your comments-- for me, I'm on the way back to my XK8 and S-type forums. Maybe in the future. Thanks.

Chuck

lotusespritse 08-01-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder (Post 1939296)
Just to update and bring the "Real" story to life, my search of this car had a problem with the VIN being recognized by a number of better known site's ; eg: NADA and Kelly BB, and some other known VIN search engines.

Not being a CARFAX believer, I at last got their site to accept the VIN and low and behold, the car ended up being a 2013 and not the 11 I was told, which was really a plus, but the kicker was it's a 4 banger and not the V8 I was also led to believe. Although the Tubo powered 4, was very responsive during the drive, it is still a 4 and from numerous reviews, not the publics choice.

Thus a decline in the purchase.

Thanks to you guys for providing your comments-- for me, I'm on the way back to my XK8 and S-type forums. Maybe in the future. Thanks.

Chuck

That's a crazy story! What kind of seller doesn't know the model year of the car they are selling, or knows, but expects to trick someone into buying the wrong car? How do they expect that to go? And the whole 4cyl versus V8 being night and day is just wow.

pdupler 08-01-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 1939690)
That's a crazy story! What kind of seller doesn't know the model year of the car they are selling, or knows, but expects to trick someone into buying the wrong car? How do they expect that to go? And the whole 4cyl versus V8 being night and day is just wow.

I think to some significant percentage of the population, an automobile is nothing special and thus critical details escape them. It'd be like me, I'm remodeling my kitchen right now and trying to sell some old appliances on craigslist. I don't remember what year I replaced my refrigerator last, but I think it was somewhere between 2011 and 2013 nor do I remember how many cubic feet capacity it has. But I know its a Whirlpool, keeps food cold and we chose it because it had a couple of features we liked. ;)

Chuck Schexnayder 08-01-2018 01:04 PM

lotusesprirtse,
Oh I agree, but to clear the air, I have a friend who is selling the car on consignment and called me when he picked the car up. Owned by (for real) a lady he knew and was going on just what she told him.
After we both got the VIN to work on Carfax, we both were surprised at the Real facts. A 13, not an 11 and a 4 cly, not a V8. I guess that's the info given to her by her late husband. Who knows.
It is a beautiful car, well kept and serviced, but the 4 cly is what turned the deal sour for me.
Note: I have, as you can see, Both a XK8 and S Model sport, which have the 4.2 engine. Under most conditions, this is an a-- kicker engine and can scare the pants off anyone that has not driven one. The Tubo 4 in the subject car gave as quick and responsive results as I was expecting from the V8 although I did not drive the car on the highway. If you haven't driven one, you should.

Chuck