XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Jaguar XF R high mileage

Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Jaguar XF R high mileage

Hello this is my first time on any forum, i am really really interested in buying a used 2012 jaguar xf r. I wanted to know if theres anybody out there with over 150k miles on theres with the original engine? Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by GGG; 12-15-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: My shift key works
Old 12-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Not too sure there are any XFR owners on this forum with that many miles on the car, but there are a few likely problems with the XFR engine (AJ133 SC) once it gets to 100k+ miles.
Number one problem by miles is failing/cracking/splitting plastic coolant pipes and hoses, lots of them all over the engine front and back, many threads and posts on here about this.
If one of those pipes or hoses lets go and dumps coolant quickly there is a strong chance of massive overheating and a cooked/blown engine.
If looking to buy an XFR with over 150k miles on the clock you would want proof that all those pipes and hoses (especially the front "cross over" pipe) have been renewed, otherwise you are up for big bucks to renew them yourself.
Other common high mileage engine problems include:
- kaput engine coolant pump
- kaput SC coolant pump
- intake valves and ports clogged with carbon deposits
- SC coupler/torsion isolator failed/worn
- timing chain tensioners worn/rattling

And that's just the engine!
Thing is it's a very good and reliable engine, it's just that many of the cooling system components are not up to scratch.

Other than the engine:
- look for full service history with oil changes at least every 12 months using the correct spec engine oil
- the ZF trans fluid should be changed every 60k miles or so but many owners don't know this and never get it changed, so check to see if/when this has been done
- the XFR is hard on tyres and brakes (both rotors and pads) so check for the condition of them
- failing door locks and solenoids, especially the driver's door
- battery age and condition, all XFs are hard on the battery and once it gets to four years old it is usually time for a new one.

I for one would not buy an XFR with that many miles on it unless the seller could provide proof that every one of the issues listed above had been fully addressed recently with new parts, otherwise you are inviting a world of pain and high repair costs.
Better to look for a much lower mileage example, they are out there for not a lot of $.

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-03-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Not too sure there are any XFR owners on this forum with that many miles on the car, but there are a few likely problems with the XFR engine (AJ133 SC) once it gets to 100k+ miles.
Number one problem by miles is failing/cracking/splitting plastic coolant pipes and hoses, lots of them all over the engine front and back, many threads and posts on here about this.
If one of those pipes or hoses lets go and dumps coolant quickly there is a strong chance of massive overheating and a cooked/blown engine.
If looking to buy an XFR with over 150k miles on the clock you would want proof that all those pipes and hoses (especially the front "cross over" pipe) have been renewed, otherwise you are up for big bucks to renew them yourself.
Other common high mileage engine problems include:
- kaput engine coolant pump
- kaput SC coolant pump
- intake valves and ports clogged with carbon deposits
- SC coupler/torsion isolator failed/worn
- timing chain tensioners worn/rattling

And that's just the engine!
Thing is it's a very good and reliable engine, it's just that many of the cooling system components are not up to scratch.

Other than the engine:
- look for full service history with oil changes at least every 12 months using the correct spec engine oil
- the ZF trans fluid should be changed every 60k miles or so but many owners don't know this and never get it changed, so check to see if/when this has been done
- the XFR is hard on tyres and brakes (both rotors and pads) so check for the condition of them
- failing door locks and solenoids, especially the driver's door
- battery age and condition, all XFs are hard on the battery and once it gets to four years old it is usually time for a new one.

thank you im actully looking at under 100k i do my own mechanic work just wanted to know what are the more common problems i know that water pumps and the tensioner can be a problem but i can replace those as needed. As long as it has minor issues like that im not too worried. But everytime i get a car i wana make sure it wont be a money pit.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Well My 2010 XFR is at 99288mi now.
Before I bought it with 42kmi
Diff replaced
1 water pump
all 4 rotors replaced
Supercharger serviced
Since I've owned it from Dec 2014
New cooling fan and controller war.
New AC condenser war.
What I've done
Alt
Starter
2nd batt
1 water pump
Plugs
Trans service
Guibo replaced
Charge cooler change
Diff service
brake pads
SC service
Rear water crossover pipe
thermostat
swaybar links
SC pulley (I changed)
tune
Seat air filters
and all the interval servicing
What it needs now
A new cell phone control module, that is on it's way from EBay.
What I plan to do at 100k (Parts on hand=*)
Plugs*
O2 sensors*
Trans service
Diff service
Pads* and rotors
Tank fuel pump and filter
Poss the harmonic balancer
The XFR can be pricey (Get a warr if your purchasing from a dealer), you definitely have to research parts and prices but the looks you get when you roll up in it, and the smiles it constantly puts on your face everytime you show another the taillights is well worth it.
The work I posted
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...rchid=10961323

Last edited by Bigg Will; 12-04-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,747 Posts

I would add the dash board leather. Although by this time it should have either been fixed or won't happen.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I would add the dash board leather. Although by this time it should have either been fixed or won't happen.
Yep that too! I forgot..lol

Old 12-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jorge Velarde
Hello this is my first time on any forum, i am really really interested in buying a used 2012 jaguar xf r. I wanted to know if theres anybody out there with over 150k miles on theres with the original engine? Thank you all for your time.
Why not look for one with less miles. Avoid all the headaches with a higher mileage vehicle.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my XF 5.0 Supercharged with 86K on it back in April 2015. The car has 167K on it right now, still going strong. I have had a pulley and tune since April 2017 and have done several quarter mile passes and she loves every second of it. My advice is, if you buy a high mileage Jag (over 75K) plan on doing every bit of routine maintenance not long after buying the car. There are a few areas that need addressing, but overall the car is rock solid.

Things I have changed are:
Water pump (it's gonna happen if original)
Plastic cooling lines at the rear of the engine (have this done if you ever have the supercharger off (which you will at 100K to change spark plugs)
Wiring loom in the trunk (boot) common failure.
Intake (it's plastic - I would recommend replacing at 100K - it's pretty cheap and super easy to replace)

Other than that make sure you check your engine oil level often and the car should great to you.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I asked a jaguar master technician about the ZF trans fluid change and he said changing the fluid is bad for the transmission. ZF does claim it’s lifetime oil.

Another jaguar foreman mechanic told me he recommends changing the oil and they do it sometimes following ZF instructions.

This is for ZF6HP on 2012 and below XFs

Old 12-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

I asked when my 2010 was in for service recently and I was told the same. They said in their experience it is better to leave it

Old 12-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by hen555
I asked a jaguar master technician about the ZF trans fluid change and he said changing the fluid is bad for the transmission. ZF does claim it’s lifetime oil.

Another jaguar foreman mechanic told me he recommends changing the oil and they do it sometimes following ZF instructions.

This is for ZF6HP on 2012 and below XFs
The "master technician" is plain wrong and hasn't even kept up with what Jaguar have on their tech website - and have had for at least 8 years.

It needs changing regularly. You can check for yourself or of course ask ZF.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Do you know what 'regularly' means? Or have you got their tech bulletin on this? I asked last week and offered to pay to have mine done (2010) and they said it wasn't necessary...

Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by GaiaXF-V8S
I bought my XF 5.0 Supercharged with 86K on it back in April 2015. The car has 167K on it right now, still going strong. I have had a pulley and tune since April 2017 and have done several quarter mile passes and she loves every second of it. My advice is, if you buy a high mileage Jag (over 75K) plan on doing every bit of routine maintenance not long after buying the car. There are a few areas that need addressing, but overall the car is rock solid.

Things I have changed are:
Water pump (it's gonna happen if original)
Plastic cooling lines at the rear of the engine (have this done if you ever have the supercharger off (which you will at 100K to change spark plugs)
Wiring loom in the trunk (boot) common failure.
Intake (it's plastic - I would recommend replacing at 100K - it's pretty cheap and super easy to replace)

Other than that make sure you check your engine oil level often and the car should great to you.
Wow, 167k miles! Good to know these engines can last when looked after properly. I'll be hitting 100k within the next month or so.

Originally Posted by BritCars
I asked when my 2010 was in for service recently and I was told the same. They said in their experience it is better to leave it
Very WRONG. Trans fluid MUST be changed every 80-120k kilometers or 8 years according to ZF:
https://www.zf.com/global/media/medi...P_50130_EN.pdf

Old 12-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Default 2013-2014 XFR-S also ?

hello all, I've been learning and researching about Jags for a while and now a first time poster.

Pertaining to the high mileage XFR information in this thread, would it be safe to assume that all the tips/known issues are applicable to the 2013-2014 XFR-S's ?

Is there anything anyone would like to add to this topic that is specific to these XFR-S's ?

I realize that they only imported around 200 of these to North America which possibly makes information/knowledge scarce, it's safe to say that it is one rare cat. LOL

thanks guys and have a nice holiday season

regards, John

Old 12-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by DreaminXFR-S
hello all, I've been learning and researching about Jags for a while and now a first time poster.

Pertaining to the high mileage XFR information in this thread, would it be safe to assume that all the tips/known issues are applicable to the 2013-2014 XFR-S's ?

Is there anything anyone would like to add to this topic that is specific to these XFR-S's ?

I realize that they only imported around 200 of these to North America which possibly makes information/knowledge scarce, it's safe to say that it is one rare cat. LOL

thanks guys and have a nice holiday season

regards, John
Yep, everything that applies to the XFR also applies to the XFR-S.
It's really just an XFR with a tuned engine (550PS vs 510PS), a few mildly modified suspension bits, different exhaust system (X-pipe and devalved rear mufflers) and a few cosmetic changes to some body and interior trims.
The major visual differences are the "ironing board" rear spoiler, the more aggressive front bumper and the unique wheels, none of which effect reliability.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just bought a 2013 XFR w/Speed Pack and only 17,800 miles 😀

Last edited by Brian83i3; 12-15-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:41 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian83i3
just bought a 2013 XFR w/Speed Pack and only 17,800 miles 😀

Congrats on picking up a clean example! Looks beautiful!

Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 AM
Default how rare is the XFR speed pack in the states

Hey Brian, how did you find a XFR with the speed pack option ?

iv'e been looking for quite a while and have yet to see one for sale ?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DreaminXFR-S
Hey Brian, how did you find a XFR with the speed pack option ?

Iv'e been looking for quite a while and have yet to see one for sale ?
It just popped up one day. I've got an app that does a nationwide search on Craigslist. A reputable dealer in Arizona took it in on trade. They had it listed for a very reasonable price and I negotiated down a little from there and they shipped it to Oregon for free!

I just got very lucky I wanted a 2013+ XFR, but most were too expensive or had too many miles The Speed Pack was just a nice bonus.

I had actually given up on finding a good condition, low miles XFR and I had a deposited money down on a 2014 E550. The XFR popped up a few days before I was going to get the E550 and the price was the same. Plus I saved money on a Kleemann tune I was going to do to get 500+ HP on the E550.

But I do have a VAP tune and crank pulley coming on Friday.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:26 PM
Default speed pack

Yes Brian it sounds like you got a really good deal and free shipping to boot ! good luck with it

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the speed pack include the front bumper splitters ? or is europe only ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Jaguar XF R high mileage