XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Jaguar XF X250 Smart Key Not Fount - Not Starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Jaguar XF X250 Smart Key Not Fount - Not Starting?

Hi,

I have a 2012 Jaguar XF Luxury and for some reason its says "Smart Key Not Found" and I have check online and people say it the do with the battery in the key so I have changed the battery in the key and it still comes up? Can some please give me some guidance, with its the key thats causing the problem (but it still unlocks fine) or a fuse or something small.

Thank you

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Does it work with the other smart key that comes with the car? If so, then it's either the battery in the key or it has become unprogrammed or is faulty. If it doesn't work with the other key either, then there is an issue with the sensors that are meant to detect that the key is physically inside the car before starting the engine. Could then potentially be the car battery itself - when this gets weaker it can cause gremlins with the car electronics.

I assume the smart key isn't being obstructed by anything in a pocket or bag etc? E.g. a mobile phone? If it's shielded from the detectors in the car, that might also stop it being detected.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Does it work with the other smart key that comes with the car? If so, then it's either the battery in the key or it has become unprogrammed or is faulty. If it doesn't work with the other key either, then there is an issue with the sensors that are meant to detect that the key is physically inside the car before starting the engine. Could then potentially be the car battery itself - when this gets weaker it can cause gremlins with the car electronics.

I assume the smart key isn't being obstructed by anything in a pocket or bag etc? E.g. a mobile phone? If it's shielded from the detectors in the car, that might also stop it being detected.

It only has the one key. If the key is faulty would it still unlock the car? Also could I get it reprogrammed by Jaguar under the warranty as is a 61 reg. the key is not being blocked by anything, I've try leaving on the centre console and plugin into the key slot under the steering wheel and it comes up with the same message. Also when I put it into the key slot it goes in and come up with the message and is pushed back out, if that any help? Any other possible reasons?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

They were delivered new with two keys. Whomever you bought yours from owes you a second key. They are expensive.

If not keyless entry then the fobs were subject to updated backs under warranty. Make sure yours have been updated. If keyless entry than the design is more robust so that won't be the issue.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default key slot

Did you try to put the key fob into the key slot that is located under the dash on your left ?

My car show me this message sometime when I put my key fob with my debit, credit card or event the magnectic card I use to open doors at work and usely I just insert the key fob in the slot, start the car and drive to my location and it will be fine when I will get back !

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagar
Hi,

I have a 2012 Jaguar XF Luxury and for some reason its says "Smart Key Not Found" and I have check online and people say it the do with the battery in the key so I have changed the battery in the key and it still comes up? Can some please give me some guidance, with its the key thats causing the problem (but it still unlocks fine) or a fuse or something small.

Thank you
Agree with the consenses.

Usually it is nothing more than a brief interruption of the signal. Especially if you have the passive keyless option, you may have the key in the same pocket as your phone. Also, I've discovered alot of folks toss the key into the cup holder along with their phone and that could do it. Another not so common issue is if the key is too far from the ignition sensor to read however this does not easily happen.

The next time it happens shut the car off and reposition the key and restart.

If they "Smart Key Not Found" is constant, you may have a larger issue with a sensor.