XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Jaguar XFR Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default 2012 Jaguar XFR Tuning

So I'm in the process of trying to extract some more power out of the 5.0 supercharged engine...

So I plan to document the entire process.

First, I will do a baseline Dyno

Second, I will install mina exhaust and pulley and do an after Dyno

Third, I will have an ETG tune added and do a final Dyno

So the first step is done and the baseline Dyno was completed today...
Three pulls in total and the results were:
- 453.4 whp & 463.4 wtq (ft-lbs)
- 457.5 whp & 453.9 wtq (ft-lbs)
- 455.3 whp & 455.7 wtq (ft-lbs)
Will post the chart when I get the email from the shop (or I'll just scan my print out)

The exhaust and pulley are getting installed next week, I will update as I make progress

The following 2 users liked this post by H.Jones:
2010 Kyanite XFR (01-03-2014), Panthro (04-29-2016)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Looking forward to your results. Am in the process of getting a custom tune worked out. I have done a custom x-pipe and like it. A lot smoother response and sound (less deceleration popping). Not sure how it would perform in conjunction with the Mina but should flow better than stock and isn't very costly or time consuming to get done. XFR-S has one instead of the center resonators so it has to help.

Will get a dyno run to document the x-pipe gain then add tune and pulley for a final number.

What type of dyno were your runs on? Just surprised by your torque numbers being at the published number with no drive train loss whatsoever.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 PM

Here is the dyno plot of the three (3) pulls:

And "Kyanite" it is a Dynocom Dyno, here is the link to the very shop I went to:
Calgary Autoworks - Tuning | Service | Parts. Dyno Service

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Jaguar XFR Tuning-ahmadel-sayeddsd_zps9f383d38.jpg  

Last edited by H.Jones; 01-13-2014 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
patrickw813 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks H.Jones. Was curious because my baseline dyno runs were almost identical to the dyno runs that European Car did for the attached article. Same type of dyno though (Dynojet) and within about 10-15 miles of each other. I guess this further reinforces that dyno "bench racing" has no validity . Excited to see the gains you get from the other modifications. Good luck!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
European Car - XFR - Page 3.pdf (395.8 KB, 198 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by 2010 Kyanite XFR:
Panthro (04-29-2016), patrickw813 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Thanks H.Jones. Was curious because my baseline dyno runs were almost identical to the dyno runs that European Car did for the attached article. Same type of dyno though (Dynojet) and within about 10-15 miles of each other. I guess this further reinforces that dyno "bench racing" has no validity . Excited to see the gains you get from the other modifications. Good luck!

You are absolutely right... I didn't want to proceed with the modifications without having my own baseline that I can compare my own progress or improvement against...

I have also included a video of one of the pulls...
IMG_1028_zpsb6a75a08.mp4 Video by hamadajones | Photobucket

Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Update:

I had my exhaust installed yesterday, and it sounds amazing... I will wait till I have had more time to get used to it and to allow the exhaust to fully burn in before I give my final comments, but based on initial assessment, itsounds amazing, a bit loud, but that could just be me adjusting to it and the fact that I couldn't stop stepping on the gas...

I was so excited about the exhaust, I decided to tackle the pulley last night instead of waiting till the weekend...
Taking off the old pulley was apain, that is something I hope I never have to endure again...
Putting on the new one was a matter of seconds (once it was heated up of course)...
Instructions for install were great...
Instructions for removal of the old one were not so great...

Driving impressions, are very limited given, I simply can't go full throttle given our road conditions, I have winter's on the car, but driving normally is fine, driving full throttle off of a light will get you nowhere... I did do acouple of pulls at higher speeds, but again given the road conditions, I can't truly appreciate the upgrade(s) to their fullest. I will summarize as such:

Exhaust,
Purely audible improvement, didn't really notice any changes driving wise (throttle response, top end, bottom end, etc...) all appeared to be the same, it just sounds awesome

Pulley,
From the little I could push the car, I felt that throttle response and tip in were improved, no comments on top end, as I didn't get a chance to take it over 4500rpm...
Note: Stock pulley is ~65mm diameter, Mina Pulley is ~60mm diameter

Overall very happy with the upgrades, but will have to wait for the dyno togive the official numbers, dyno is scheduled for this Friday (Jan. 10th).

Will update with Dyno results...

Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Any tips for pulley removal? Did you end up having to cut it off?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Any tips for pulley removal? Did you end up having to cut it off?
I had a three (3) Jaw Puller that could also be used as a two (2) jaw puller, and lucky for me, because one of the jaws busted, and its now permanently a two jaw puller... or till I get an extra jaw.

So I resorted to pulling out my angle grinder, something I didn't wan to do, but after talking to Chris (from Mina), and reading BigCat09 thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-pulley-73907/

His first post does an excellent job of destroying the stock pulley, I did my best attempting to mimic the cuts that were displayed in the first post. I wish I had read further till I saw the pics in Post #15, as I believe that would have been alot less of a headache... Live and learn...

I will say now that its all done, it was well worth it... Dyno Results to follow...

The following 2 users liked this post by H.Jones:
2010 Kyanite XFR (01-12-2014), Redjaguar100 (02-08-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

It will be interesting to see the results with the pulley. I was very disappointed in the results until I was told how much the factory tune bleeds off the boost. We saw less than 10hp with just the pulley. You will be shocked at the gains with a proper tune. The car will be a monster. Best of luck & enjoy.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Default Mina Pulley and Exhaust After Dyno

So on Jan. 10 I took the car in for the after dyno, to see what the effects of installing the Mina pulley and Exhaust would be...

I gave my initial impressions earlier in the week, and I am glad to see that the Dyno only re-affirms my initial impressions...

So I had mentioned initial tip-in and throttle response, were dramatically improved thanks to the pulley (not that was ever an issue with the XFR)...

I wasn't able to witness this dyno session, so no vids to follow, but I did get a call saying that the torque is way too much for these tires on their rollers. I know and the shop knows that you don't really dyno with winter tires, but if you have traction then you shouldn't encounter any issues, well before the pulley and exhaust we had no issues with tire slippage, where as after the install, they got one good run in, and normally they wait about 15-20 minutes to do a second run, and eventually a third run... well second run was aborted due to massive slippage, and the owner of the shop and dyno operator both said this is due to the massive torque at as low as 2000 rpm...

They managed to wait it out, and get a second run in, to confirm their findings, but going forward I will have to have my summer tires on for any other dynos...

Enough yapping here are the results... they overlapped the best run from 01/10 with that on 01/03:

I apologize for the crappy quality, I got the printouts, but I was in a hurry on Friday and never got the digital copy emailed, so I simply took a picture of the printout.

You will notice that I got AFR on the new dyno, I didn't do it for the stock setup, as I personally wasn't too concerned with what it was doing as a stock car, and after seeing how it is reacting with the pulley and exhaust installed I am not concerned either. It at least gives me a baseline to see the effects of the tune

I personally love how the new torque curve looks, and how much torque there is down low... if I use the 400lb-ft line and go across to see when that threshold is crossed, the after dyno crosses sooner and is almost vertical. The stock curve crosses at ~2250rpm (400 lb-ft at the wheels) is great, but at the same rpm, the after dyno is: ~422 lb-ft at the wheels.

If you follow the curves you will see that in some spots, a gain of almost 40lb-ft of torque at the wheels has been gained, the peak values are referenced as:
453.9 wtq @ 4100rpm (Stock)
483.1 wtq @ 3750rpm (after pulley and exhaust)
that's a peak gain of 29.2 lb-ft of torque at the wheels...

Horsepower is a different story, as without a tune you have certain limiters causing issues in the upper rpm band, anything past 5,500rpm, and you start to see the torque (pulley and exhaust) curve dip closer to the stock curve, never below it which is good.

If we could keep the torque up past 5,500rpm our Horsepower numbers would improve dramatically. Through out the curve the Horsepower shows some areas where we have gained as much as 20whp, but when you compare the peak values:
457.5whp @ 5850rpm (stock)
472.7whp @ 5950rpm (after pulley and exhaust)
that's a peak difference of 15.2whp

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Jaguar XFR Tuning-55fb2b9e-b0d5-4f9a-ac84-b8913cb4d6a5_zpscrl14ciz.jpg  

Last edited by H.Jones; 01-13-2014 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2010 Kyanite XFR (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
It will be interesting to see the results with the pulley. I was very disappointed in the results until I was told how much the factory tune bleeds off the boost. We saw less than 10hp with just the pulley. You will be shocked at the gains with a proper tune. The car will be a monster. Best of luck & enjoy.
HP gains are a little more than 10HP but not much, my post is pretty thorough, and I am certain a tune will help out a lot...

Out of curiosity what tune did you go for? ETG or Eurocharged or other?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

I use the RICA tune. The numbers here are without a pulley just a tune. I have been working with them for quite some time.

Chiptuning | Rica Engineering Chiptuning

Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I use the RICA tune. The numbers here are without a pulley just a tune. I have been working with them for quite some time.

Chiptuning | Rica Engineering Chiptuning
I had no idea Rica had to tune for Jaguar...

After browsing I quickly realized there's nothing for the XFR, however there is for the XKR

I will send them an email or maybe even call them tomorrow I know their Canadian dealer I've dealt with Eurosport tuning in the past...

Nice to have another option... Thanks JgaXkr!!!

Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H.Jones
I had no idea Rica had to tune for Jaguar...

After browsing I quickly realized there's nothing for the XFR, however there is for the XKR

I will send them an email or maybe even call them tomorrow I know their Canadian dealer I've dealt with Eurosport tuning in the past...

Nice to have another option... Thanks JgaXkr!!!
They do the XFR as well all other models. I have already done a V6 F Type as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Digital printout, is a little clearer than the photo above.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Jaguar XFR Tuning-ahmadel-sayedxfrday2dsd_zpsdc94f9d9.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like they were able to do the dyno pull at WOT from around 2000rpm. Any idea how they did that without the tranny downshifting? Anything below 3500rpm on mine and it downshifts regardless of the setting (DSC, Dynamic, Sport, etc.).

Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MarylandJag
Looks like they were able to do the dyno pull at WOT from around 2000rpm. Any idea how they did that without the tranny downshifting? Anything below 3500rpm on mine and it downshifts regardless of the setting (DSC, Dynamic, Sport, etc.).
My car refused to go into dynamic mode, once the first run was done... I believe they place the car in "S" for transmission selector, and they disable traction control completely (hold down for 10+ seconds) they simply select the gear they want via the paddle shifters... they bring it up to 2000rpm while its in "3" or "4" and its not so much a stomp rather than a quick role into throttle... and it never wants to down shift on us, it does however want to upshift anywhere north of 6200rpm, hope that helps others...

I wish there was a way to get dynamic mode to activate once on the dyno, as dynamic mode with "S" on the gear selector and paddle shifters, will not allow the car to shift automatically out of the specified gear (with the exception of 1st gear)... It essentially will allow you to lock into that specific gear...

Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 102 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandJag
The trick to getting effective dyno numbers for our cars is to make sure dynamic mode is on and the transmission is being manually shifted. When the operator goes wide open throttle, make sure he knows not to push the throttle past the kickdown switch. If the dashboard indicates the number 4 for fourth gear, this should give the most accurate numbers as our fourth gear is closest to a 1:1 ratio.

The kickdown switch is what causes the transmission to downshift even in manual mode. Just make sure the operator doesn't push into this switch!

You should be able to feel a click at the bottom of the pedal. Try it out when your car is off!

Last edited by patrickw813; 01-14-2014 at 12:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by patrickw813:
2010 Kyanite XFR (01-13-2014), WRXtranceformed (01-13-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Can you disable or move the switch out of the way temporarily?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I did the ETG tune only on my 2011 5.0 S/C more than a year ago. I love it. The car is now 'a refined sleeper beast' .Since ETG claims tune alone will bring the S/C or XFR to the ~550HP level, I would expect the pulley + tune to come close to 600HP or even higher.

It would have been ideal if after baseline pull you did a tune first, compare pull to stock, than do another tune after the pulley and pull again and compare all stages. yes, you have to do 2 tunes, but could worked something out with ETG...........

Quick Reply: 2012 Jaguar XFR Tuning