Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   2012 Platinum Coverage (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/2012-platinum-coverage-89810/)

TXFireblade 02-11-2013 05:50 PM

2012 Platinum Coverage

I have a 2012 XFSC and was a little surprised when I asked about the free maintenance with the 2012 car. Although it states free servicing for 4 years or 50,000 miles, two dealers have told me that I'll only get the first 3 years of servicing because the 15,000 mile service interval means after 4 years, the mileage would be 60,000.

I always thought that it meant 4 years, or 50,000 vehicle miles. Since I'm only going to do 10,000 miles per year, I thought I would get the full 4 years.

Anyone else think this is odd?

hlgeorge 02-11-2013 05:54 PM

I understand what they are talking about on service intervals, but you still have the full bumper-to-bumper coverage for any defects.

jaguny 02-11-2013 07:14 PM

I think the difference is distinguishing between "free maintenane" and "warranty "coverage. If you have a defect with the car you go by vehicle miles, and if you are under 50,000 and 4 years Jag is on the hook to repair. I believe this is what higeorge is stating in his reply.

Jerry S 02-12-2013 11:58 AM

Based on your intended yearly milage, you should get the free maintenance 4 times. Maintenance is required every 15K miles or annually, whichever occurs first.

TXFireblade 02-12-2013 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry S (Post 675103)
Based on your intended yearly milage, you should get the free maintenance 4 times. Maintenance is required every 15K miles or annually, whichever occurs first.

That's what I thought but both dealerships said otherwise. Even if my mileage is 10K per year, I'll only get the first 3 yearly services. The 4th service would be at the 4th year/60,000 mile point. And since the mileage for that service is past the 50,000 mile limit, it wouldn't be covered.

However, based on recent experience with Jaguar service advisors, I wouldn't be surprised if this was incorrect.

OC_Gunman 02-13-2013 03:58 PM

The Jaguar techs spewing this crap are full of shite. Or they're under orders from dealership management to screw you. Either way, this dealership practice needs to be reported to Jaguar corporate for corrective action.

Per the 2012 Platinum coverage brochure:

"Having your vehicle serviced at the specified 15,000 mile intervals or every 12 months (whichever comes first) is critical in maintaining long-term durability. Failure to have your vehicle serviced at the specified interval may invalidate the warranty under certain circumstances."

You will take your XF to this dealership very shortly before 12 months elapses, which for you will be at the 10,000 mile interval. This dealership WILL provide the complimentary normal factory-recommended scheduled maintenance (as outlined in the Passport to Service booklet) at that time. You will do this every 12 months, for 4 times. On the last service you will have approximately 40,000 miles.

This dealership will NOT make you wait until 15,000 miles. The corrupt dealership wishes to do so because, by lying to you and getting you to take your car in for fewer service intervals, they believe they will save some costs of providing annual complimentary maintenance to you. If they persist in doing so, you will OWN THEIR ASS for erronously and perhaps fraudlulently pushing you past the required service maintenance interval, thereby jeopardizing your warranty.

You MUST report this false advice and behavior to Jaguar corporate. They do not like rogue dealers ruining their reputation and creating legal liability issues/costs for them.

Axil 02-16-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by OC_Gunman (Post 675981)
This dealership will NOT make you wait until 15,000 miles. The corrupt dealership wishes to do so because, by lying to you and getting you to take your car in for fewer service intervals, they believe they will save some costs of providing annual complimentary maintenance to you. If they persist in doing so, you will OWN THEIR ASS for erronously and perhaps fraudlulently pushing you past the required service maintenance interval, thereby jeopardizing your warranty.

You MUST report this false advice and behavior to Jaguar corporate. They do not like rogue dealers ruining their reputation and creating legal liability issues/costs for them.

You do understand that your local dealer does not incur the cost of providing your "complimentary maintenance"? These costs are paid by Jaguar to the independently owned dealership. In fact dealerships are paid a mark up from Jaguar on all parts and labor for maintenance and warranty repairs. This is one of the profit centers for the store. There is no incentive for them hold out on providing a legitimate warranty repair or factory covered maintenance interval. There are very few "corrupt" dealerships of any make out there these days and there is no such thing as a "rogue dealer".

JgaXkr 02-16-2013 09:27 PM

The Jaguar techs spewing this crap are full of shite. Or they're under orders from dealership management to screw you. Either way, this dealership practice needs to be reported to Jaguar corporate for corrective action.

Per the 2012 Platinum coverage brochure:

"Having your vehicle serviced at the specified 15,000 mile intervals or every 12 months (whichever comes first) is critical in maintaining long-term durability. Failure to have your vehicle serviced at the specified interval may invalidate the warranty under certain circumstances."

You will take your XF to this dealership very shortly before 12 months elapses, which for you will be at the 10,000 mile interval. This dealership WILL provide the complimentary normal factory-recommended scheduled maintenance (as outlined in the Passport to Service booklet) at that time. You will do this every 12 months, for 4 times. On the last service you will have approximately 40,000 miles.

Since when at ANY dealership do the technicians dictate warranty policy & procedure?? That would be a case of the tail wagging the dog. I think the rest of your post sounds like someone on a drunken rage. Just my opinion.

OC_Gunman 02-21-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Axil (Post 678170)
You do understand that your local dealer does not incur the cost of providing your "complimentary maintenance"? ...In fact dealerships are paid a mark up from Jaguar on all parts and labor for maintenance and warranty repairs. This is one of the profit centers for the store. There is no incentive for them hold out on providing a legitimate warranty repair or factory covered maintenance interval....

Yes, I'm aware that Jaguar pays a specifed amount for warranty repairs and for this complimenatary maintenance program. Assuming the dealer performs the work in less than Jaguar's specified hours, and their cost of parts is less than the reimbursement, then the dealerships costs are covered. However, given that Jaguar dealerships rarely have excess service capacity, you are forgetting the dealer's lost opportunity cost.

For warranty/comp. maintenance work, the dealer will receive no more than Jaguar's specified reimbursement amounts for parts and labor time. Jaguar corporate sets this reimbursement at reasonable amounts, for a number of reasons. The loss to the dealership whenever they perform these warranty/comp. maintenance services is this: For every hour they perform these services for the reasonable compensation set by Jaguar - - that's one billable hour less, and parts charges, for which they normally could have RAPED you or I. See the loss to the dealership?

My apologies; I thought such business insight was obvious.

Moreover, I don't put it past corrupt dealership service folks to claim four services to Jaguar while only performing three. Remember, we're talking about car dealers. They're as crooked as a barrel of snakes.

Originally Posted by Axil (Post 678170)
... There are very few "corrupt" dealerships of any make out there these days and there is no such thing as a "rogue dealer".

Please forgive my laughter at your naiveté.

Originally Posted by JgaXkr (Post 678180)
Since when at ANY dealership do the technicians dictate warranty policy & procedure?? That would be a case of the tail wagging the dog. I think the rest of your post sounds like someone on a drunken rage. Just my opinion.

Techs and service writers don't dictate policy. They hide their nefarious scheming and skullduggery from management. Don't pretend you've never been ****ed by a dealership service writer without management knowing about it. Your post sounds like you're trying to be cute - - too cute by half. Just my opinion.

Now, the both of you: Address the substance of the point - - Why is this Jaguar dealer telling the OP to obtain fewer complimentary maintenance services than those to which he is entitled?

caviarjag 02-21-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by OC_Gunman (Post 681690)

?

I am going to disagree with you here. Having a close friend that owns several dealerships and having worked at one for fun one summer in college, I am pretty confident saying most premium dealers are not actively out to screw customers. That said, my experience with my first jaguar dealer was less than positive and I will be servicing my car with another local dealer. The dealer was not out to screw me, as you seem to think, just delivered a level of service far below that which I have received from other premium dealers.

Axil 02-22-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by OC_Gunman (Post 681690)
Yes, I'm aware that Jaguar pays a specifed amount for warranty repairs and for this complimenatary maintenance program. Assuming the dealer performs the work in less than Jaguar's specified hours, and their cost of parts is less than the reimbursement, then the dealerships costs are covered. However, given that Jaguar dealerships rarely have excess service capacity, you are forgetting the dealer's lost opportunity cost.

For warranty/comp. maintenance work, the dealer will receive no more than Jaguar's specified reimbursement amounts for parts and labor time. Jaguar corporate sets this reimbursement at reasonable amounts, for a number of reasons. The loss to the dealership whenever they perform these warranty/comp. maintenance services is this: For every hour they perform these services for the reasonable compensation set by Jaguar - - that's one billable hour less, and parts charges, for which they normally could have RAPED you or I. See the loss to the dealership?

My apologies; I thought such business insight was obvious.

Moreover, I don't put it past corrupt dealership service folks to claim four services to Jaguar while only performing three. Remember, we're talking about car dealers. They're as crooked as a barrel of snakes.

Techs and service writers don't dictate policy. They hide their nefarious scheming and skullduggery from management. Don't pretend you've never been ****ed by a dealership service writer without management knowing about it. Your post sounds like you're trying to be cute - - too cute by half. Just my opinion.

Now, the both of you: Address the substance of the point - - Why is this Jaguar dealer telling the OP to obtain fewer complimentary maintenance services than those to which he is entitled?

Wow, you really need to put down the pipe and seek help; you have no idea what you are ranting about. There is no “loss to the dealership”. The “costs” to the dealership are covered along with a profit due to the fact that all parts, excluding oil, are required to be purchased from Jaguar and the dealers are paid a set mark up depending on region. Any tech that can’t match or beat the factory time paid for a 15K service should consider a different career. As to the lack of “excess service capacity” most all dealer service departments would love to have that problem. You are also mistaken on the “Lost Opportunity cost”. There is more to a service than just changing the oil and blowing it out. The “opportunity” is the dealership will see the vehicle on at least an annual basis, perform a free multi-point inspection and catch problems before they become critical. A “rouge” dealer” by definition would be a dealer that had went out on its own to dictate factory policy. This would make no sense because Jaguar does audit all claims and would simply deny and not pay the dealer for performing the service. It is NOT in the interest of a franchised car dealer to “screw” their customers at every turn. Building long term trusting relationships are much more profitable. In response to the original post, that is standard policy; there is the possibility of Jaguar authorizing an additional covered maintenance beyond the 36 month service. The dealer can call the Jaguar warranty department who will review on a case by case basis. Perhaps if you have such a problem with “nefarious scheming” techs and service writers who hide their “skullduggery” from management you should consider dropping your failing career in ‘web blog automotive consulting’ and become an automotive engineer. That way you could design a car, service it yourself and not be forced to do business with the “crooked as a barrel of snakes” dealer. As to your “laughter” I will leave it to others reading this thread to determine my level of “business insight” and “naïveté” regarding the inner workings of vehicle manufactures, their dealers and the car business in general.

TXFireblade 02-22-2013 11:51 AM

I'm sorry that my original post seems to have caused so much hostility. In terms of my original point, I thought that if I got a servicing contract that is 4 years or 50,000 miles, I expected to have the coverage until one of those critiera is met.

We also have an Landrover LR2 which came with (if I remember correctly) 4 years or 50,000 miles of free servicing. The service interval (if I remember correctly) is 6 months or 7,500 miles and we usually got the car serviced based on the calender interval. Again, if I recall correctly, the dealer serviced the car right up until the 4th year. With my Jaguar, it appears that the 50,000 miles applies to the type of service performed i.e 15,000 mile, 30,000 mile and 45,000 mile. So even if I do 10,000 miles per year, I would only be eligible for free servicing for the first 3 years. The 4th service, which would come at 4 years and 40,000 miles (based on my 10K per year mileage) would not be free because it is the scheduled 60,000 mile service.

My understanding is that this is not a dealer issue, rather something that Jaguar does. I just feel it would have been better so describe the free servicing as 3 years or 45,000 miles since that's the last scheduled service under 50,000 miles.

I hope that's a bit clearer :icon_cool:

OC_Gunman 02-22-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Axil (Post 682126)
Wow, you really need to put down the pipe and seek help; you have no idea what you are ranting about. There is no “loss to the dealership”. The “costs” to the dealership are covered along with a profit due to the fact that all parts, excluding oil, are required to be purchased from Jaguar and the dealers are paid a set mark up depending on region. Any tech that can’t match or beat the factory time paid for a 15K service should consider a different career. As to the lack of “excess service capacity” most all dealer service departments would love to have that problem. You are also mistaken on the “Lost Opportunity cost”. There is more to a service than just changing the oil and blowing it out. The “opportunity” is the dealership will see the vehicle on at least an annual basis, perform a free multi-point inspection and catch problems before they become critical. A “rouge” dealer” by definition would be a dealer that had went out on its own to dictate factory policy. This would make no sense because Jaguar does audit all claims and would simply deny and not pay the dealer for performing the service. It is NOT in the interest of a franchised car dealer to “screw” their customers at every turn. Building long term trusting relationships are much more profitable. In response to the original post, that is standard policy; there is the possibility of Jaguar authorizing an additional covered maintenance beyond the 36 month service. The dealer can call the Jaguar warranty department who will review on a case by case basis. Perhaps if you have such a problem with “nefarious scheming” techs and service writers who hide their “skullduggery” from management you should consider dropping your failing career in ‘web blog automotive consulting’ and become an automotive engineer. That way you could design a car, service it yourself and not be forced to do business with the “crooked as a barrel of snakes” dealer. As to your “laughter” I will leave it to others reading this thread to determine my level of “business insight” and “naïveté” regarding the inner workings of vehicle manufactures, their dealers and the car business in general.

With respect, you seem to be almost willfully missing my point. You display a clear lack of understanding of what "opportunity cost" is. See here Opportunity cost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . More importantly, we're speaking about the complimentary maintenance portion of Jaguar 2012 Platinum Coverage, not warranty. When a dealer provides service, and claims reimbursement to Jaguar, under this program, they are (and must) accept the 2nd best choice in terms of profit. They make less than if they spent that time raping (making greater profit than that made via reimbursement from Jaguar under the Platinum program) another customer on a different, non-complimentary, non-warranty, service - - a service (and rape-like profit) forgone because they had to provide service to the OP under the Platinum program. This is key to the opportunity cost argument I make, and its tie to "rogue dealership" behavior. I acknowledge it relies upon a dealer's lack of excess service capacity - - true in most cases.

The "rogue" part is denying a customer the full amount of Platinum Coverage complimentary maintenance services to which the OP is entitled - - by either ignorantly or fraudulently conflating the elements of the complimentary maintenance "1 year or 15,000 miles, whichever is less" provision.

Please re-read my first response, and pay particular attention to this part:

...Per the 2012 Platinum coverage brochure:

A dealer who will only provide complimentary maintenance services under the 2012 Platinum Coverage program at 15,000 miles, and NOT at 1 year despite 1 year elapsing before the customer drives 15,000 miles, is going "rogue". I believe it is intentional and nefarious. I'll allow the possibility of ignorance, given some of the response here.

OC_Gunman 02-22-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade (Post 682248)
...My understanding is that this is not a dealer issue, rather something that Jaguar does. I just feel it would have been better so describe the free servicing as 3 years or 45,000 miles since that's the last scheduled service under 50,000 miles.

I hope that's a bit clearer :icon_cool:

TXFireblade: Regrettably, I strongly believe this dealership is trying to screw you; or they're incredibly ingnorant. My philosophy is, "Never ascribe to ignorance that which can be ascribed to malice" - - it's more in keeping with human behavior today (and certainly with those humans educated enough to be employed by a luxury auto brand dealership.) It is very important that you read your documentation for the 2012 Platinum Coverage's Summary, linked here

Jaguar Platinum Coverage | Jaguar USA

and your Passport to Service booklet, Complimentary Scheduled Service section, linked here http://www.jaguar.com/content/market...t_PDF_12MY.pdf

Please note this part from the summary:

"...Although vehicle service is required at 15,000-mile intervals or every 12 months (whichever comes first), ... Failure to have your vehicle serviced at the specified interval may invalidate the warranty." [Emphasis added]

Notice the "failure" provision doesn't specify the mileage interval, it only says "interval", inclusive of the time interval. Thus, you MUST take your vehicle in at 12 months for this complimentary service, even if you have driven less than approximately 15,000 miles, say only 10,000 miles. At that time, the dealer MUST perform the 15,000 mile maintenance service - - it's just that your vehcile will only register 10,000 miles. If a dealer says they need not, or will not, perform this service before 15,000 miles, despite 1 year lapsing, they are either ingnorant or crooked, and in the U.S. you should contact the the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-452-4827 to report them and request they confer with the dealer to straighten the dealer out. The customer relationship center likely will request documentation, so if you can get your dealer's assertions in writing, with names and functional titles, that will help.

xjrguy 02-22-2013 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Geez, calm down fellas. No one is screwing anyone.

The 'free maintenance' IS covered during the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty period. The service interval is 15,000 or once a year. That means you will get the first THREE maintenance services on Jaguar's nickel.

The guidelines for the dealer are contained in the attached bulletin.

Cheers,

09XFSuper 02-22-2013 02:48 PM

Why only 3 services? Should be 4 services.

1st at the end of the 1st year
2nd at the end of the 2nd year
3rd at the end of the 3rd year
4th at the end of the 4th year.

4 years means it goes to the end of the 4th year not the beginning.

No?

OC_Gunman 02-22-2013 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by xjrguy (Post 682341)
Geez, calm down fellas. No one is screwing anyone.

The 'free maintenance' IS covered during the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty period. The service interval is 15,000 or once a year. That means you will get the first THREE maintenance services on Jaguar's nickel.

The guidelines for the dealer are contained in the attached bulletin.

Cheers,

The bulletin supports my point. xjrguy: Note the OP indicated that his dealership told him not to show up at 12 months and 10,000 miles (the OP drives about 10,000 miles annually). Instead, the dealership instructed the OP to show up at 15,000 miles - - likely around 18 months. This dealership's instruction to the OP violates the bulletin.

Instead, if the OP follows my instructions, he'll get the 15,000 mile service at 12 months (and showing about 10,000 miles on the OP's vehicle.)

OC_Gunman 02-22-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper (Post 682343)
Why only 3 services? Should be 4 services.

1st at the end of the 1st year
2nd at the end of the 2nd year
3rd at the end of the 3rd year
4th at the end of the 4th year.

4 years means it goes to the end of the 4th year not the beginning.

No?

YES! Very perceptive.

TXFireblade 02-22-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by OC_Gunman (Post 682331)
TXFireblade: Regrettably, I strongly believe this dealership is trying to screw you; or they're incredibly ingnorant. My philosophy is, "Never ascribe to ignorance that which can be ascribed to malice" - - it's more in keeping with human behavior today (and certainly with those humans educated enough to be employed by a luxury auto brand dealership.) It is very important that you read your documentation for the 2012 Platinum Coverage's Summary, linked here

Jaguar Platinum Coverage | Jaguar USA

and your Passport to Service booklet, Complimentary Scheduled Service section, linked here http://www.jaguar.com/content/market...t_PDF_12MY.pdf

Please note this part from the summary:

"...Although vehicle service is required at 15,000-mile intervals or every 12 months (whichever comes first), ... Failure to have your vehicle serviced at the specified interval may invalidate the warranty." [Emphasis added]

Notice the "failure" provision doesn't specify the mileage interval, it only says "interval", inclusive of the time interval. Thus, you MUST take your vehicle in at 12 months for this complimentary service, even if you have driven less than approximately 15,000 miles, say only 10,000 miles. At that time, the dealer MUST perform the 15,000 mile maintenance service - - it's just that your vehcile will only register 10,000 miles. If a dealer says they need not, or will not, perform this service before 15,000 miles, despite 1 year lapsing, they are either ingnorant or crooked, and in the U.S. you should contact the the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-452-4827 to report them and request they confer with the dealer to straighten the dealer out. The customer relationship center likely will request documentation, so if you can get your dealer's assertions in writing, with names and functional titles, that will help.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I understand that the service interval is 15,000 miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. I understand that if I get to 15,000 miles in less than 12 months, I have to get the car serviced. I understand that if I only do 10,000 miles in 12 months I have to get the car serviced. No one at the dealers is saying anything different, or telling me I need to wait or delay service. I just thought the wording "4 years/50,000 miles" meant that I would get free servicing for 4 years if I did fairly low mileage (approx 10K) per year.

TXFireblade 02-22-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by OC_Gunman (Post 682344)
The bulletin supports my point. xjrguy: Note the OP indicated that his dealership told him not to show up at 12 months and 10,000 miles (the OP drives about 10,000 miles annually). Instead, the dealership instructed the OP to show up at 15,000 miles - - likely around 18 months. This dealership's instruction to the OP violates the bulletin.

Instead, if the OP follows my instructions, he'll get the 15,000 mile service at 12 months (and showing about 10,000 miles on the OP's vehicle.)

Sorry, that's not what I said, or not what I mean to say. The dealers told me nothing about delaying or exceeding the service interval. They told me it was 12 months or 15,000 miles, which ever come first. The ONLY issue is that I thought (wrongly it seems), that the 4 years/50,000 miles of free servicing meant I would get 4 years of free service if I get the car serviced based on the calender interval.