XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Are all XF sunroofs noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

MarkN, please keep us posted as to the post-gasket results.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with some of these quality control issues, especially after multiple dealer visits in less than 2 months of owning my car.

I've already had a defective strut and a defective sunroof cassette replaced (and a plastic panel that wasn't put back properly by the tech after replacement, necessitating another trip I have to make to the dealer). I still have some weird noises coming from the front left suspension even after the strut replacement, the sunroof wind noise which the dealer said they addressed but is no better, and a rattle from the passenger door card that the dealer says they can't replicate. Grrrr....

Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by texevora
MarkN, please keep us posted as to the post-gasket results.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with some of these quality control issues, especially after multiple dealer visits in less than 2 months of owning my car.

I've already had a defective strut and a defective sunroof cassette replaced (and a plastic panel that wasn't put back properly by the tech after replacement, necessitating another trip I have to make to the dealer). I still have some weird noises coming from the front left suspension even after the strut replacement, the sunroof wind noise which the dealer said they addressed but is no better, and a rattle from the passenger door card that the dealer says they can't replicate. Grrrr....
I really like the look, drive and comfort of the car but it is replacing a Lexus and can't hold a candle to the quality, trim and fit of those Japanese competitors. The dealer ordered the gasket and hasn't called me back yet to say the part is in. I promise to post once they swap it out.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:25 AM

As an update I haven't heard back from the dealer and I've been really busy at work with lots of travel so I haven't chased them down. I'll call the dealership this week, however, and update the group once they swap gaskets.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes they are and you can't fix it if yours is one of noisy ones. whatever you do it will come back. I have done works twice under warranty but came back after few months both times. Mine was 2010 model and what's not so cool is that jlr is not doing anything about it as I still hear about this problem from new owners.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine has developed this, along with a couple of other rattles but I'm taking it in for its one year service Tuesday and I'm hoping they can nail them down and get rid of them.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:43 AM

The dealer recently replaced my gasket and made an adjustment and it got quieter but still hear wind / road noise especially at highway speeds. I close the shade and it gets quiet - very annoying.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Never had any noise, but I did have a leak from a crimped drain line. The tech said it was probably that way from the factory, it just took a torrential downpour for it to show up.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XF Supercharged

Love the drive of this car, but the sunroof noise is part of my Jaguar life as well. It's CPO and has been fixed twice. Both times it gets better, but now when I go up the driveway I hear a loud pop each time. Crazy problem for such an expensive ride.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

There is a TSB on it. Make sure the dealer is using the right parts from the TSB kit to repair it.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

The last two loaner cars I had were 2015s with each having under 2k on them and the moonroof rattled, suffice to say Jaguar hasn't fixed the issue.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 2010 with 50,000 miles on it. The sunroof seems to leak air as I get a wind noise at speed. No water leaks. I would like to know more about cleaning the seals and lubrication. I'll try that first before I begin to look to replace the seal.
Speaking of cabin noise, does anyone hear something loose in the headliner left of the steering wheel in the headliner. Another irritation. Other than these annoyances the car drives beautifully.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:09 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I've been very luck in both My Jags..the 03 X and this 12 XF...In both cases when the car was new..I opened the roof and gooped the edges real heavy with Sil-Glyde lubricant and all the associated mechanisms I could get to, then closed the roof and never opened it again..\

I also slick down all the door and trunk gaskets with it too..no popping or grunting..

Old 01-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Hi stremsjg - there are two common sun roof issues on the XF. One as described is a creaky seal - very noisy as the car flexes. Apparently the seal goes dry and brittle in the sun. The SilGlyde solution worked very well for me when I had the creaky noise. Hopefully it works for you too. Open it up, spread all over the rubber seal and close again.

The rattling in the headliner is prob a separate sunroof issue. Some sort of retaining clips that hold the sunroof cassette in place come loose and can rattle around the headliner. There is a tsb (or at least well known issue) and a revised set of clips. I had that too and Jag covered it on my warranty. Issue is they have to drop the whole headliner so not quick. It may explain why your sunroof is making wind noise too. Worth taking to the dealer to look at - I've not seen anyone on the forum do this one themselves

Old 01-31-2016, 04:35 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I use this on all of my seals, when I had my STi it made the rubber window surrounds look brand new after six years of never being treated.

Meguiar's M40 Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner
Robot Check Robot Check

Old 02-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Creaky Sunroof

My sunroof on my 2009 had been quiet for years until this past summer when the rattles and shaking began. After reading about this on the forum, I purchased the Sil-Glyde and tried it out, but to avail. Took the car to the dealer for it's yearly service and had them look at the sunroof. Turns out that the bolts to the sunroof, underneath the headliner had come loose, and this was causing the rattle and shaking. Service manager told me that they had one car where the whole sunroof came loose and slid to the back of the roof. So of course they had to remove the headliner to get to the bolts. My car is out of warranty so it cost me $600 for this fix. The car has been quiet since having the work done. A few days after getting my car back, I get the survey from Jaguar NA. I expressed my disappointment with having to pay for what I deem is a design flaw being that it's an issue with just about every XF (and XJ's it seems). There was a check box in the survey if you wanted Jaguar to contact you. I checked the box and within an hour I received a phone call from them. I spoke with them for about 20 minutes explaining how I didn't think I should have to pay that expense for a flawed design. She agreed that it wasn't the first time of them hearing about the sunroof issue. She asked me what would be a good resolution for my complaint. I told her that I wanted them to cover the cost of the sunroof fix. She said that they would do an investigation, and talk to the dealership and so on and so forth and they would get back with me. After about a week, she called me back and told me that they would cover "half" of what I paid to have the sunroof fixed. That would be $300. I told her that even though I wanted the whole price covered, I would accept the offer. She told me that it would take 4-8 weeks to receive the check but to check back in after about 4 weeks. This was a week before Christmas and I'm still waiting on the check. I called her back last week and I still having gotten a response from her as of yet. Hopefully I will hear something soon. I'd like to add that I did give the dealership high marks for the work that they performed. I just wasn't happy with having to pay for it. She told me the fact that I still praised the dealership was the one of the reasons they wanted to work with me. My advice would be to always fill out the survey and try not to make your complaints overly personal or emotional. I'll keep you guys posted on whether or not I actually receive the check.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

You will...Do you remember her name?...I dealt with JNA too (female) on an issue about the 4 year free oil changes that was clearly spelled out in the Platinum Warranty..and they sent me 4, $100.00 gift certificates to use on the next service or any dealer parts, etc..I think, IIRC, it took about 6 weeks to get it.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ttboonie
She told me the fact that I still praised the dealership was the one of the reasons they wanted to work with me.
I'm not condoning obnoxious client behaviour, nor am I suggesting that good dealership work be ignored, but WTF does this have to do with a company addressing product flaws?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Another vote for SilGlyde. Every year I treat all my rubber gaskets. All 4 doors, trunk seal and moon roof seal.

Really helps keep things quiet and it seems to protect the rubber too.