Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Crashed XF not starting (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/crashed-xf-not-starting-219055/)

Daniel. 06-12-2019 01:16 PM

Crashed XF not starting

I just got a good deal on a Jaguar XF, 3.0 2009. The car had a small accident on the left back corner with damage to suspension mainly. The car hit the sidewalk, not sure how.
Brought the car to a garage, we tried to start, brake pedal pushed down since the brake line is damaged, pressing start, all lights and navi is opening, press again start and instead of starting everything disappears.
On the navi it started showing battery low, measured battery 12.2v, changed the battery with a new one, same thing, everything ON, start after which everything dies. There is no click/crank or any sign, just cuts power completely.

Does this car has a security fuse which gets damaged if in an accident?

Really need help since the garage people are keep on saying is the brake pedal, because there is no brake fluid present will not start! and i'm sure other is the issue!

Appreciate and thank you in advance.

Maddshadez 06-12-2019 01:48 PM

From another post:

The Workshop Manual gives a little more information. It shows that fuel cut-off is part of the SRS (supplemental restraint system). If this outputs a crash signal on the high speed CAN (controller area network), the ECM de-energizes the fuel pump relay to prevent any further fuel being pumped to the engine.

I cannot find an Inertia Switch in the parts catalogue which suggests such isolation of the fuel supply may set a diagnostic code which has to be cleared rather than restored by resetting the switch fitted to earlier models.

Post in questionL https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...switch-191097/

lotusespritse 06-12-2019 03:14 PM

You have to put pressure on the brake to start the car. If you have no brake pedal resistance, I doubt you can start the car. On some XF's, as the cars age, you have to press really hard on the brake pedal to start it. My grey one is like that. The white one, not so much.

BritCars 06-12-2019 06:37 PM

Yes - agree with lotus. Sounds like it's doing exactly what it should. You have to hold down brake pedal to start it and if there is no brake pressure that won't work
So fix the brakes first. Or bypass the switch if you can find the tech manual

Daniel. 06-13-2019 10:13 PM

Thank you guys, i need to wait until Sunday-Monday to have all the parts and arrange all suspension and I hope the brake pedal is the only issue. It's just a bit strange that cuts all the power and all lights/displays are closing instead of just giving an error like Press brake pedal...
I tried to search a lot about Inertia Switch thinking that this might be the cause but no topics about this for xf models.
Some pics with the only damage.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...c51dd928b5.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...6e743d0f36.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b4ff12d548.jpg

lotusespritse 06-14-2019 08:30 AM

I thought you said it was a small accident?

Given how you can get almost nothing for a 2009 XF here in the US, the insurance companies would most likely total loss this car. With the bumper, wheel, suspension, quarter panel, exhaust and taillight damage, that's a major accident. Not to mention what hidden damage could be done to the suspension mounting points and crash bumper protection.

Do you know much about these cars? I am thinking not. If you try to start the car without pressing the brake pedal, the electronics come up but the engine doesn't even try to start. If you then press the start button again without pressing the brake, everything shuts down again.

I think you need to just listen to your mechanics and quit second guessing them here on the forum because they clearly know more than you do.

Daniel. 06-14-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 2084821)
I thought you said it was a small accident?

Given how you can get almost nothing for a 2009 XF here in the US, the insurance companies would most likely total loss this car. With the bumper, wheel, suspension, quarter panel, exhaust and taillight damage, that's a major accident. Not to mention what hidden damage could be done to the suspension mounting points.

Do you know much about these cars? I am thinking not. If you try to start the car without pressing the brake pedal, the electronics come up but the engine doesn't even try to start. If you then press the start button again without pressing the brake, everything shuts down again.

I think you need to just listen to your mechanics and quit second guessing them here on the forum because they clearly know more than you do.

Thank you for clarifying that this is normal with Jaguar, this is all i wanted to find out.
Not sure how to say this but most of the mechanics in UAE have no clue what's happening and they will try to score on your back, I like to do my homework to be sure they don't play me.
1. Had a Porsche boxster, simple oil and water mix, told them to check the exchange radiator, they came back saying is ok, had to dismantle the full engine, replace all parts, to find out in the end it was actually the radiator.
2. BMW with valve steam seals to be replaced, failed to do anything, they replaced full engine with second hand one(because its to complicate to rebuild), surprise that the new one was doing the same, they added Stop Smoke and said now is ok. Gearbox & engine oil leak...its something from the electronic :))
3. Other Bmw, vibrations on braking, they said discs/pads, changed, they said tires/rims, changed, apparently some bushing were done. Car loses water...its normal for bmw in this country...

I have plenty of examples, all with different garages and trust me I don't choose the cheap ones. This stories are coming even with dealers because of poor training.

Regards to the Jag, its not as bad as it looks, i've seen muuuch worst here....

BritCars 06-14-2019 07:55 PM

Looks like you have the dreaded warped dashboard too. See other threads on here on that. Not surprising under the hot sun where you are...

There is so much electronics in these cars that likely you have wires, harnesses, sensors etc to fix and replace before it will run. You need to find a good mechanic as these are not simple cars. At a min I expect there is suspension, brake, hub, mount and chassis damage as well as the bodywork. Lots of wires and sensors in that area for accelerometers, traction control, etc

You can get a pdf of the full shop manual (7000 pages) - look around here or online. That will give you or your mechanic a ton of info to work with

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

LETS DO IT OURSELVES 09-11-2019 01:06 PM

Did you fix it?

Originally Posted by Daniel. (Post 2084842)
Thank you for clarifying that this is normal with Jaguar, this is all i wanted to find out.
Not sure how to say this but most of the mechanics in UAE have no clue what's happening and they will try to score on your back, I like to do my homework to be sure they don't play me.
1. Had a Porsche boxster, simple oil and water mix, told them to check the exchange radiator, they came back saying is ok, had to dismantle the full engine, replace all parts, to find out in the end it was actually the radiator.
2. BMW with valve steam seals to be replaced, failed to do anything, they replaced full engine with second hand one(because its to complicate to rebuild), surprise that the new one was doing the same, they added Stop Smoke and said now is ok. Gearbox & engine oil leak...its something from the electronic :))
3. Other Bmw, vibrations on braking, they said discs/pads, changed, they said tires/rims, changed, apparently some bushing were done. Car loses water...its normal for bmw in this country...

I have plenty of examples, all with different garages and trust me I don't choose the cheap ones. This stories are coming even with dealers because of poor training.

Regards to the Jag, its not as bad as it looks, i've seen muuuch worst here....

i have same no start problem with 2012 xf but front passenger wheel looks like your rear wheel.. did fixing your brake pressure fix this?

gunther 10-20-2021 10:37 PM

Do you fix the brake line ? En was that the problem ? Thanks

Originally Posted by Daniel. (Post 2083970)
I just got a good deal on a Jaguar XF, 3.0 2009. The car had a small accident on the left back corner with damage to suspension mainly. The car hit the sidewalk, not sure how.
Brought the car to a garage, we tried to start, brake pedal pushed down since the brake line is damaged, pressing start, all lights and navi is opening, press again start and instead of starting everything disappears.
On the navi it started showing battery low, measured battery 12.2v, changed the battery with a new one, same thing, everything ON, start after which everything dies. There is no click/crank or any sign, just cuts power completely.

Does this car has a security fuse which gets damaged if in an accident?

Really need help since the garage people are keep on saying is the brake pedal, because there is no brake fluid present will not start! and i'm sure other is the issue!

Appreciate and thank you in advance.

hello ,
do you fix the brake line ? Was that the problem?
thanks

gunther 10-20-2021 10:39 PM

You fix this en the car was started ?

Originally Posted by LETS DO IT OURSELVES (Post 2125074)
i have same no start problem with 2012 xf but front passenger wheel looks like your rear wheel.. did fixing your brake pressure fix this?

you fix this ? En the cas was started ?

thanks

Daniel. 10-20-2021 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by gunther (Post 2455748)
you fix this ? En the cas was started ?

thanks

Hi, yes that was the issue, after the brake line was replaced and pressure was there the car started right away.

gunther 10-20-2021 10:49 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Daniel. (Post 2455749)
Hi, yes that was the issue, after the brake line was replaced and pressure was there the car started right away.

i have the same problem.
i go fix this first.
When pressing the start/stop button, everything shuts on end off

thanks 👍