XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Does Downshifting Lead To Excessive Transmission Wear??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Downshifting Lead To Excessive Transmission Wear??

Ever since I have upgraded the exhaust on my XFR (ZF 6 speed transmission), I almost always drive it in sport mode using the paddles. It sounds fantastic! When coming to a stop/ red light, I normally downshift through the gears as I slow down, going all the way down to 2nd gear sometimes 1st gear. However, I started thinking about it and tried looking it up online (could not find any information about it); Does downshifting coming to a stop while braking cause excessive wear of the transmission? Should I only downshift while my foot is still on the gas or does downshifting of any kind put more strain/ wear and tear on the transmission? (I normally downshift slowing down at around 2,200 rpm sometimes higher, sometimes lower not sure if that matters or not) I love the way it sounds, but I don't want to beat on my transmission....

Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

It should not cause any significant amount of additional wear since it is part of the normal function of the transmission. It may cause more gas to be consumed though since the engine will be operating at higher rpm levels when down shifting. It does sound great!

Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

It is fun. You aren't doing any appreciable damage if you are downshifting and over-revving by a few thousand RPM's. I personally believe that it puts stress on the engine and all you are really doing is putting it through more revolutions. I personally don;t do it too often particularly because I have damaged the lifters on my XType dowshifting using the J gate (miss that car ). But that was when I was too dumb to care that I was screwing up the car and dowshifting into 3rd while going about 65 or 70. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I also love the sounds of my exhaust and sometimes do downshift when pulling up to a light. Makes for some nice stares from other vehicles...hehehe

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 09-20-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

As long as it's an occasional thing, and you're not over revving the engine It's not that big of a deal. But its was not designed to be paddle shifted transmission on a continuing basis, because now your using the engine and transmission to do what your brakes were designed to do, dissipate the energy of motion into heat. If you're going to use the car continually in the paddle shift sport mode, understand your maint schedule (severe service) for the engine, supercharger and trans needs to change too.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
As long as it's an occasional thing, and you're not over revving the engine It's not that big of a deal. But its was not designed to be paddle shifted transmission on a continuing basis, because now your using the engine and transmission to do what your brakes were designed to do, dissipate the energy of motion into heat. If you're going to use the car continually in the paddle shift sport mode, understand your maint schedule (severe service) for the engine, supercharger and trans needs to change too.
Would it be better if I downshifted while my foot is still on the gas (foot still on the gas but slowing down if that makes any sense/easing up on the throttle) and once it gets to a low enough gear I can then let off the gas, instead of downshifting while braking? Would that put less strain on the transmission? You also mentioned that maintenance schedule for engine, supercharger, and transmission would need to change if I continually shift manually. Could you go more in depth about what that would entail?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Also I noticed if I have the car in dynamic mode and sport mode (but not using the paddles, still automatic) the car will automatically downshift between 3,000-4,000 rpm while braking. It's the same thing as if I was using the paddles except the car will do it automatically. In this case, how is it any different if I was to do it myself instead of the car automatically doing it? If the car is already programmed to do it, how would using the paddles put more strain on the car?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan97
Also I noticed if I have the car in dynamic mode and sport mode (but not using the paddles, still automatic) the car will automatically downshift between 3,000-4,000 rpm while braking. It's the same thing as if I was using the paddles except the car will do it automatically. In this case, how is it any different if I was to do it myself instead of the car automatically doing it? If the car is already programmed to do it, how would using the paddles put more strain on the car?
I think what Bigg Will is saying is doing so creates a lot more heat and RPM from the type of driving and therefore it's harder on the fluids and presents a greater propensity for wear. It doesn't matter if you do it or the car does it, that kind of driving requires more frequent fluid changes and more attention.

Kinda like the maintenance schedule on a police car/NYC taxicab will be much more intense than the guy who drives a Camry back and forth to work (with the assumption it isn't in stop and go traffic both ways).

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 09-20-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

I used to drive cars with manual gearbox and hence habitually downshift to keep the engine speed while cornering or before coming to a full stop. I too habitually put it in neutral before rolling to the stop lights. Expensive lesson as such driving habit on an auto would subject the engine, the gearbox and the engine mounts as well (two in front and the third one in Jaguar is usually called the transmission mount), as they would absorb all the pressure, stress, vibrations and heat.

The mechanic will normally advise you to use the brakes rather than the engine and gearbox to slow down the car - XFR have very powerful brakes. Higher grade brake fluid, brake pads and rotors are friendly consumables.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Not really any harm but I did get a good answer on another car forum.

Your brakes are MUCH cheaper to repair than your transmission is.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Qvhk
I too habitually put it in neutral before rolling to the stop lights. Expensive lesson as such driving habit on an auto would subject the engine, the gearbox and the engine mounts as well (two in front and the third one in Jaguar is usually called the transmission mount), as they would absorb all the pressure, stress, vibrations and heat.
Shifting an auto box in and out of gear in this manner will wear it out faster than all other causes combined.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Not really any harm but I did get a good answer on another car forum.

Your brakes are MUCH cheaper to repair than your transmission is.
EXACTLY!

Old 09-23-2017, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I'm with both clubairth1 & Mikey.

Leave it in D (with a wet autobox like this).