XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dynamic Mode vs. Sport Mode

Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Mode vs. Sport Mode

I took delivery of my 2014 XF 3.0 on Friday, and I'm thrilled with it! The dealer, and the manual were a little light on details between the Dynamic Mode button and Sport Mode on the gear dial.

I know that putting it into Sport Mode lets me use the paddle shifters, but that can be changed in the Settings, so that I can use the paddles in D also. So, I figure there must be more to Sport Mode than just the paddles, but what else could it do that the Dynamic mode button doesn't?

Thanks,

-Brian

Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bgreenstone
I took delivery of my 2014 XF 3.0 on Friday, and I'm thrilled with it! The dealer, and the manual were a little light on details between the Dynamic Mode button and Sport Mode on the gear dial.

I know that putting it into Sport Mode lets me use the paddle shifters, but that can be changed in the Settings, so that I can use the paddles in D also. So, I figure there must be more to Sport Mode than just the paddles, but what else could it do that the Dynamic mode button doesn't?

Thanks,

-Brian
I'll admit that after much research I'm still a bit fuzzy on what Dynamic mode actually does. But Sport mode clearly affects transmission shift points, keeping you in the more powerful area of the RPM range. Definitely doesn't help fuel economy, but the car is much more punchy in Sport. I'm pretty sure Dynamic mode has nothing to do with the transmission.

Others, please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

From what I've been able to determine, and this is for the XFR, when in sport mode it firms up the suspension, definitely changes how the transmission reacts by holding gears longer and always staying a gear or two lower than in Drive, and I believe it also makes the throttle response quicker (this may be just the difference in gearing that makes the power come on quicker - one gear lower).

Dynamic mode definitely makes the throttle response quicker and it seems to downshift quicker when on in Drive. It will not upshift when using the paddles (you have to do it). This is the mode I most often drive the car in as it gives me a little more lively throttle, but doesn't make the transmission be so intrusive as when in sport.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The main difference I've found between Dynamic mode and sports mode is the shifting. Dynamic mode will allow the trottle to rev a little higher before shifting, sports mode won't shift at all until you are close to redline. If you go to manual shifting, in sports mode, it will not go back to D. where as in dynamic if you leave the car in the highest gear for an extended amount of time, it will go back to automatic shifting just like in normal mode.

Also in sports mode, if you do go into manual, the car will not shift for you no matter what, so if you want to destroy your engine, you have the chance to do it.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by neogod
Also in sports mode, if you do go into manual, the car will not shift for you no matter what, so if you want to destroy your engine, you have the chance to do it.
Fortunately, Jaguar has seen fit to keep us from destroying the engine by ensuring the rev limiter still kicks in.

I think an easy way to think about Dynamic vs. Sport is to remember that Sport only affects the transmission shift points (and of course enables the paddles), so it is a classic "Sport Transmission" mode. Dynamic, on the other hand, also somewhat alters the shift points, but also alters throttle response, presumably the braking response is supposed to be a bit faster, and if you have an adjustable suspension, will alter that as well.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by neogod
The main difference I've found between Dynamic mode and sports mode is the shifting. Dynamic mode will allow the trottle to rev a little higher before shifting, sports mode won't shift at all until you are close to redline. If you go to manual shifting, in sports mode, it will not go back to D. where as in dynamic if you leave the car in the highest gear for an extended amount of time, it will go back to automatic shifting just like in normal mode.

Mine downshifts whether I like it or not but won't upshift. This is unfortunate, there is no reason to bounce the limiter in a road car and competition cars only do it because they develop maximum power at maximum permitted rpm.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Mine downshifts whether I like it or not but won't upshift. This is unfortunate, there is no reason to bounce the limiter in a road car and competition cars only do it because they develop maximum power at maximum permitted rpm.
yeah, yeah they do downshift when you slow down, probably just to make sure you don't stall the engine. I forgot about that.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular

Maybe this is also related to the fact that the car likes 2nd gear instead of going to 1st gear while using the paddles.