Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Finally managed to track down the right oil (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/finally-managed-track-down-right-oil-175046/)

TXFireblade 01-10-2017 09:09 PM

Finally managed to track down the right oil

1 Attachment(s)
So the original factory warranty on my 2012 XF is finally up and I'm thinking of doing future servicing myself. One of the biggest problems seems to be the availability of 5W-20 engine oil meeting the WSS-M2C925A spec. I'd searched around for the Castrol Edge OE but found nothing aside from a few suppliers on EBay. Biting the bullet, I called the Jaguar dealer service department and asked for the price for the Castrol oil and was surprised when they told me they use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum now in the cars. A quick check of the PUP spec sheet didn't make any mention of WSS-M2C925A but a call to the Pennzoil technical department did result in a verbal confirmation that the 5W-20 oil does indeed meet WSS-M2C925A I then requested written confirmation and they sent me a PDF of the letter from Jaguar UK confirming this. I've attached a copy should anyone be interested. I hope this helps out those looking to service their cars themselves in the future.

JagV8 01-11-2017 01:31 AM

Spec appears to be -B now. Just google M2C925 for oils and there's quite a list.

jagwower 01-11-2017 01:54 AM

MOBIL 1 5W-20 | Mobil

Looks like Mobil 1 is now too!

calviroman 01-12-2017 05:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting the letter. I also have a '12 XF 5.0 and recently did my first at home oil change. It was very simple and intuitive. I did remove the large "cover" that covers up the bottom of the engine and drained the oil via the drain plug. It would definitely be much quicker to just "suck it out" of the top via one of those pump things, which is how the dealer does it. I removed just slightly over seven quarts and put back in a like amount of Penzoil Platinum. There is no dipstick so I performed the service reminder reset procedure, ran an errand which involved driving 10 miles, and then checked the level using the car's built in oil level sensor to confirm the level was within spec. Here's a few pics for reference:

Attachment 150754

Attachment 150755

Attachment 150756

Attachment 150757

lotusespritse 01-14-2017 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade (Post 1600175)
So the original factory warranty on my 2012 XF is finally up and I'm thinking of doing future servicing myself. One of the biggest problems seems to be the availability of 5W-20 engine oil meeting the WSS-M2C925A spec. I'd searched around for the Castrol Edge OE but found nothing aside from a few suppliers on EBay. Biting the bullet, I called the Jaguar dealer service department and asked for the price for the Castrol oil and was surprised when they told me they use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum now in the cars. A quick check of the PUP spec sheet didn't make any mention of WSS-M2C925A but a call to the Pennzoil technical department did result in a verbal confirmation that the 5W-20 oil does indeed meet WSS-M2C925A I then requested written confirmation and they sent me a PDF of the letter from Jaguar UK confirming this. I've attached a copy should anyone be interested. I hope this helps out those looking to service their cars themselves in the future.

their website shows this spec, no need for a letter:

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - Our Best Full Synthetic Oil | United States

TXFireblade 01-14-2017 05:39 PM

Your eyesight must be better than mine, I can't see mentioned anywhere on that spec sheet. Can you point out where it says that?

OzXFR 01-14-2017 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade (Post 1602342)
Your eyesight must be better than mine, I can't see mentioned anywhere on that spec sheet. Can you point out where it says that?

Click on the SAE 5W-20 link under Available Grades.

TXFireblade 01-14-2017 06:16 PM

I must be going word blind - I see a WSS-M2C930A and a WSS-M2C945A but not WSS-M2C925A. I'll book and appointment with an optician first thing Monday morning.

OzXFR 01-14-2017 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade (Post 1602364)
I must be going word blind - I see a WSS-M2C930A and a WSS-M2C945A but not WSS-M2C925A. I'll book and appointment with an optician first thing Monday morning.

I researched this a while ago and found that WSS-M2C945A superseded WSS- M2C925A a few years ago, and somewhere on this forum I have a post with a link to the page/doc/pdf which explains this.

TXFireblade 01-14-2017 09:35 PM

So it meets WSS-M2C925A because it meets WSS-M2C945A which supersedes WSS-M2C925A. I've come across that argument a number of times while researching this but never found any actual proof to support that so it will be interesting to see what you managed to find.

OzXFR 01-14-2017 10:52 PM

See this page: WSS-M2C945-A spec replace the WSS-M2C925-A for motor oil 5w/20

JagV8 01-15-2017 10:12 AM

That is at beast confusing and at worst wrong. Ignore it?

nsl1 01-20-2017 01:29 PM

How much of a pain was it to remove the bottom engine cover?

OzXFR 01-20-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by nsl1 (Post 1605802)
How much of a pain was it to remove the bottom engine cover?

Not that hard, just a bit time consuming, around 20 bolts/screws to remove.
It's also a bit fiddly lining it up dead right when putting it back on.
Much easier up on a hoist but I've done it several times now just using trolley jacks and axle stands.

nsl1 01-22-2017 09:33 AM

Thanks - I've been changing my oil post warranty from the top via the suction tube and a manual pump. It's probably the easiest oil change I've ever done. Just wondered if it was worth trying it the old fashioned way to make sure all the old oil is drained out. I prob just stick to the suction method.

nsl1 01-22-2017 09:39 AM

Thanks - I've been changing my oil post warranty from the top via the suction tube and a manual pump. It's probably the easiest oil change I've ever done. Just wondered if it was worth trying it the old fashioned way to make sure all the old oil is drained out. I prob just stick to the suction method.

Bri's Jag 09-01-2019 11:00 AM

Wow good stuff I need the M2C925-A for my XJL and cant find it anywhere especially that OE Castrol so I'll try Wallmart for that Penzoil then, read the PDF I just hope its gonna be fine :-/...

leadfoot4 09-01-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 1605823)
Not that hard, just a bit time consuming, around 20 bolts/screws to remove.
It's also a bit fiddly lining it up dead right when putting it back on.
Much easier up on a hoist but I've done it several times now just using trolley jacks and axle stands.

Actually, it's 8 nuts, bolts, and screws, in total. Two "torx headed", self tapping style screws at the front most portion of the shield, followed by two 10MM headed hex nuts, in the pair of "sunken tunnels" in the middle of the shield, right at the front crossmember, followed by two 10MM hex headed bolts at the "outer edges" of the shield, and two 10MM hex headed bolts alongside the transmission. I find that the 2 bolts along the side of the transmission the most difficult to line up, but I'm also working on my back, with the car on ramps.

OzXFR 09-01-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 2120954)
Actually, it's 8 nuts, bolts, and screws, in total. Two "torx headed", self tapping style screws at the front most portion of the shield, followed by two 10MM headed hex nuts, in the pair of "sunken tunnels" in the middle of the shield, right at the front crossmember, followed by two 10MM hex headed bolts at the "outer edges" of the shield, and two 10MM hex headed bolts alongside the transmission. I find that the 2 bolts along the side of the transmission the most difficult to line up, but I'm also working on my back, with the car on ramps.

I was talking about the front under-tray wot goes right across the bottom of the bumper.
I have since realised that you don't need to take that one off to access the sump plug, only the one behind needs to come off.

lotusespritse 09-01-2019 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag (Post 2120915)
Wow good stuff I need the M2C925-A for my XJL and cant find it anywhere especially that OE Castrol so I'll try Wallmart for that Penzoil then, read the PDF I just hope its gonna be fine :-/...

The OE Castrol is at Atlantic British website. I posted about that a while back, and it's the only reliable source I have found.