Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Headlight Issue (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/headlight-issue-160813/)

heem_infinite 04-08-2016 11:07 AM

Headlight Issue

Hi, I have 2010 XF. About a year ago the driver's side low beam bulb started having issues. It wouldn't come on when I would first turn them on. I had to turn the lights off then back on for it to come on. Sometimes I had to turn the car off. That lasted for a couple of weeks and went away until last weekend. Now the bulb will not come on at all. I ordered a new HID and swapped it with no luck. All of the other lights in the assembly work fine so i'm hoping I don't need to replace the entire assembly. Is there a fuse for this somewhere that might be causing this or has anyone else seen this problem. Any help is appreciated. thanks

pab 04-08-2016 12:40 PM

>bulb will not come on at all

Does the car have HID headlamps? If so, it could be the igniter?

Had similar problems with on S-Type and HIDs.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

heem_infinite 04-08-2016 03:43 PM

Yes, it has HIDs. Is the igniter something i can fix/replace myself?

OzXFR 04-08-2016 05:37 PM

No fuses for the lights, it's all CANBUS and FETs (field effect transistors).

nate96 04-11-2016 01:56 PM

I had this problem. It was the igniter. To test it I removed the headlights, swapped the igniters on the bottom of the lights and plugged them back in. Turned the headlights on to see if the problem followed the igniter. Easy to do. Takes about 15 minutes to do. 3 Bolts on each headlight and I think 2 screws for the igniters. I purchased a replacement on Amazon.

heem_infinite 04-12-2016 09:27 PM

I just tried switching them and it didn't work. I think you're talking about the ballast control unit on the bottom. The passenger side still came on after the switch so that isn't the issue. It may be whatever connects the ballast to the bulb. Anybody know what that is called?

Originally Posted by nate96 (Post 1439992)
I had this problem. It was the igniter. To test it I removed the headlights, swapped the igniters on the bottom of the lights and plugged them back in. Turned the headlights on to see if the problem followed the igniter. Easy to do. Takes about 15 minutes to do. 3 Bolts on each headlight and I think 2 screws for the igniters. I purchased a replacement on Amazon.

OzXFR 04-12-2016 11:24 PM

Yep, the igniter is the square box shaped bit on the back of the globe, which on the D1S and D3S globes used on XF Jag HIDs is integral with the globe and can't be removed or swapped. The ballast is the flatter and wider metal box mounted with screws near the bottom of the light assembly. I don't know for sure but I suspect there is a wire or two running from the ballast to the globe via the multi-plex wiring plug.