XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem in Clearwater. Just bought the car with 40k miles, a beautiful 2010 XF. It didn't have the problem when I bought it but after one months started bubbling. Jaguar in St Petersburg referred me to Pippins performance 727-639-9437. I talked to him and he has done 5 repairs for about $650 each. He has to remove the windshield. (one of them cracked).
I haven't decided to have it done yet. So I can't verify as to the quality. Let me know if you decide to use him. He will need the car for a week.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 PM

By the way, I am still contemplating gluing it myself, using some epoxy. My only concern is that if it doesn't come out right it will be harder for someone else to fix.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Default Jaguar dash removal

Where is your mechanic located? I need to find someone to remove my dash for replacement or reupholstering.
Erik

QUOTE=Long Islander;1268236]I put in a claim under my mechanical breakdown insurance, and surprising they covered the dash replacement. I picked up the car yesterday and it looks perfect. So far, no rattles or other issues. The shop said their mechanic has done many of these, so that probably helped. The invoice shows 8 hours of labor, but from what I can tell, it took him less than 4 hours (I got a call at 10:15AM saying he was going to start shortly, and another call at 3PM when he was done).

As to the windshield delaminating, my glass coverage will pay for the replacement and since I have $0 deductible, I don't have to pay anything. The only thing is I'll be getting it done by a glass shop that will come to the house, so it didn't get done while the car was at the dealer. I avoided dealing with Safelite, and instead called a local shop, so I'm getting Jaguar OEM glass that says "Jaguar - Pilkington." Since Safelite is a glass manufacturer, they might have tried to stick me with their house brand.

I also got my TPMS issue resolved, which I'll write a post about on the TPMS thread.

So, all's well that ends well.[/QUOTE]

Where is your

Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby T
By the way, I am still contemplating gluing it myself, using some epoxy. My only concern is that if it doesn't come out right it will be harder for someone else to fix.
That'll be interesting. If it's your first foray into doing your own leather upholstery, at least you'll have your first try on a very prominent display!

Epoxy? I recommend buying some of the right glue for the job online.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
If your dash is bubbling, and your out of warranty, their is another option other than the $$$$ and dash removal the dealer wants. One of my local HIGH LINE used car dealer friends gets all his XF dashes redone by a guy who removes the front glass. It takes 2 days for him to remove the glass, stretch glue and then clip/staple the dash leather so it can NEVER shrink and wrinkle again for hundreds instead of thousands.
So if your in So Cali and need more info PM me, if your out of so cal check with some of your local High line used car dealers, My contact says he has never sold an XF that 'didn't need a dash repair' (Its a common XF problem) so this method is probably out there already.
Bill what adhesive did they use to reset the dash? I would bring it in and have them do it but it would be a 2000 mile drive.
Thanks Michael

Old 04-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by NTPro
Bill what adhesive did they use to reset the dash? I would bring it in and have them do it but it would be a 2000 mile drive.
Thanks Michael
An old post...

Last edited by Bigg Will; 04-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NTPro
Thanks Michael
Idk the glue, but the place is Ernies upholstery in Colton CA.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo954
I raised hell when it happened to my jag about a year out of warranty. They wanted to charge me about $4,000 to replace it. They ended up doing it for $400.

I now have the sunshade like Patrick. Not sure if it will prevent it from happening again, but it's worth a shot.
Who did you speak with? The dealer or Jaguarusa?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:00 AM

If your dash is bubbling, and your out of warranty, their is another option other than the $$$$ and dash removal the dealer wants. One of my local HIGH LINE used car dealer friends gets all his XF dashes redone by a guy who removes the front glass. It takes 2 days for him to remove the glass, stretch glue and then clip/staple the dash leather so it can NEVER shrink and wrinkle again for hundreds instead of thousands.
So if your in So Cali and need more info PM me, if your out of so cal check with some of your local High line used car dealers, My contact says he has never sold an XF that 'didn't need a dash repair' (Its a common XF problem) so this method is probably out there already.
Can I get your contact for the dash repair. I'm in Los Angeles!

Old 05-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JaguarJay5
Can I get your contact for the dash repair. I'm in Los Angeles!
Èrnie's upholstery in Colton CA.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Default So Cal Repair

Hi,

I could not figure out how to PM -- Hope this works. Can yous end me the contact in SoCal? I'm in North County San Diego. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slane10
Hi,

I could not figure out how to PM -- Hope this works. Can yous end me the contact in SoCal? I'm in North County San Diego. Thanks!
It was Ernie's upholstery in Colton Ca.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was very lucky to find one in my home town this week at an automotive dismantler yard. It's out of a 2011 and cost me $400AU. The guy who removed it from the vehicle took the time to explain to me how I should go about removing mine and replacing it.
The one I bought is in mint condition and looks brand new. The only difference is that the finish is not a smooth look but the more textured version which is an exact match for the very front section of the dashboard which rests on the windshield. The colour is also an exact match including the stitching.
I will get my original repaired and keep it for a spare just in case.
Next weekend project.

I bought a custom fit folding shade too.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

It was Ernie's upholstery in Colton Ca.
Who was it again? lol

Old 11-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by EXEF
I was very lucky to find one in my home town this week at an automotive dismantler yard. It's out of a 2011 and cost me $400AU. The guy who removed it from the vehicle took the time to explain to me how I should go about removing mine and replacing it.
The one I bought is in mint condition and looks brand new. The only difference is that the finish is not a smooth look but the more textured version which is an exact match for the very front section of the dashboard which rests on the windshield. The colour is also an exact match including the stitching.
I will get my original repaired and keep it for a spare just in case.
Next weekend project.

I bought a custom fit folding shade too.
Well done, not many XFs in Adelaide wreckers yards.
It wasn't Triumph Rover Spares at Lonsdale by any chance?
A couple of years ago when I needed some parts for the XFR they were the only mob I could find who were wrecking XFs and had the parts I needed.
The leather texture difference is due to the two different types of leather used on XFs - the smooth one is called "soft grain" and is the more expensive one, standard on Portfolio, SV8 and XFR, the wrinkly one (as per your new dash) is called "bond" leather.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Well done, not many XFs in Adelaide wreckers yards.
It wasn't Triumph Rover Spares at Lonsdale by any chance?
A couple of years ago when I needed some parts for the XFR they were the only mob I could find who were wrecking XFs and had the parts I needed.
The leather texture difference is due to the two different types of leather used on XFs - the smooth one is called "soft grain" and is the more expensive one, standard on Portfolio, SV8 and XFR, the wrinkly one (as per your new dash) is called "bond" leather.
I'm glad they helped you out too.
Yes, I did go to Triumph Rover Spares at Lonsdale. I was amazed at how many XFs they had in the yard and picked up a few other parts while I was there too. Great people to deal with.
I was very happy to find and purchase the cheaper "bonded" leather dash because from what I understand, they cope much better in hot summer conditions like we experience here in Adelaide due to the other materials that are bonded together with the ground up leather during manufacturing. To be honest, I was worried that even though I can get my existing dashboard leather removed and re-glued plus stapled for around $100, it would continue to shrink and deteriorate over time and eventually I could be back to where I am now.
As stated in my earlier post, I will get the original repaired and keep it for a while but if the bonded one looks good after a year or two, it will be up for sale.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Good move on the custom fit sunshade too, I got an OEM one years ago with "XF" on it.
I also recommend that before summer hits you get a moulded dashmat, after years of searching in vain for a RHD one I finally found one from a Chinese seller a couple of years ago. Good quality, reasonable price, almost perfect (99%) fit. I got a black one which went quite well with the Charcoal trim in the XFR, and I suspect black was the only colour they came in. If you want I can try to find the seller again and give you a link.
If you prefer not to fit a dashmat, or they are no longer available in RHD, then I recommend you apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to the dash and door tops, it really protects them from sun damage and works great as a cleaner and conditioner as well.
Once a month is plenty, and buff it off after leaving for a few minutes.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Good move on the custom fit sunshade too, I got an OEM one years ago with "XF" on it.
I also recommend that before summer hits you get a moulded dashmat, after years of searching in vain for a RHD one I finally found one from a Chinese seller a couple of years ago. Good quality, reasonable price, almost perfect (99%) fit. I got a black one which went quite well with the Charcoal trim in the XFR, and I suspect black was the only colour they came in. If you want I can try to find the seller again and give you a link.
If you prefer not to fit a dashmat, or they are no longer available in RHD, then I recommend you apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to the dash and door tops, it really protects them from sun damage and works great as a cleaner and conditioner as well.
Once a month is plenty, and buff it off after leaving for a few minutes.
My sunshade is the OEM type too. It has the Jaguar XF logo on each side but not much use while you're driving so I can see the need for a dash mat to help keep the sun off the dashboard. I have already enquired with a Chinese supplier. Because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I asked what type of glue/double sided tape they use on the Velcro pads. I had a mat once and the glue wasn't up to the task. It melted and spread over large areas and was impossible to remove. They recommended a double layer silica gel backed mat that hangs on by itself and doesn't need Velcro pads! $30.20AU delivered.
I'm familiar with 303 and it's the best protectant product I've ever used. A generous soaking has already been applied to the new dashboard so it will be ready for installation tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

That's a really good price for a moulded dash mat!
I have never used the pads or Velcro supplied with a dash mat, instead I buy quality Velcro and use that. For the XFR I didn't even need to use both sides of the Velcro, just a few small pieces of the "knobbly" side stuck to the dash then the mat held nice and firm to the knobbly stuff.
I would like a dash mat for the F-Type but so far they don't exist for RHD.
Maybe you can enquire with your Chinese supplier for me and ask if they do an F-Type RHD dash mat?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:27 PM

That's a really good price for a moulded dash mat!
I have never used the pads or Velcro supplied with a dash mat, instead I buy quality Velcro and use that. For the XFR I didn't even need to use both sides of the Velcro, just a few small pieces of the "knobbly" side stuck to the dash then the mat held nice and firm to the knobbly stuff.
I would like a dash mat for the F-Type but so far they don't exist for RHD.
Maybe you can enquire with your Chinese supplier for me and ask if they do an F-Type RHD dash mat?
I have just asked the question and sure enough, like you said, even in China, they don't exist. I suggested to the manufacturer that they should consider making them and corner the market. I'll wait for a response now but it may not be favourable.

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (11-10-2017)

Quick Reply: If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?