XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Thanks mate, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Old 11-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Are you going to staple the underside of the new dash leather before installing it? That’s what they did from 2012 onwards apparently

Old 11-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The thought definitely crossed my mind but dash pad that I bought has already survived 6 or 7 Australian summers without showing ill effects. I really gave it some close scrutiny and the glue is still very solid, there's no sign of shrinking or bubbling and the leather is still really soft.

Because it's the bonded leather. I'm wondering if these suffer the same demise as the hide leather types? In comparison, my old dashboard leather is extremely hard and lacks flexibility. I peeled back a section of the leather from the speaker area to assess it's condition and I don't think it could be used again and re glued etc.

Based on the above, in the end I decided not to staple it and I've ordered a protective mat to cover the dashboard plus the OEM custom fit windscreen shade to help extend the life of my replacement.
The job took me around 5 hours but if I ever had to do another, it would be about half of that because I now know all of the methods to pull things apart in the correct order. The only thing that didn't survive was my speaker grille which exploded into a million fragments when I tried to remove it. From what I understand, this is fairly common problem too.
The small plastic clips also snapped of the windscreen vents. Some self adhesive foam strip cured this issue after all remaining clips were deliberately removed. I didn't want them to break off during re installation or at any time in the future because they would end up rattling around in the air ducts.
​​​​​

Last edited by EXEF; 11-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a quick update.

The vents are repaired and fit perfectly back in place. I gave them and the dashboard speaker grille that I found at the dismantlers yard 3 coats of matte black paint to help stop the deterioration caused by exposure to the sun.
Pictures below explain the fitment of sticky foam rubber instead of the brittle clips.

Attached Thumbnails If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?-dsc_0495.jpg   If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?-dsc_0496.jpg   If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?-dsc_0498.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar NA's miserable response to bubbling dash on 2011 XF

I noticed the bubbling dash on my 2011 XF in 2016, within its 5-year warranty but beyond the 50,000 warranty. I talked with the Jaguar North America rep (800-452-4827) about five times over a month but he always moronically read me a canned response that my concern was being considered. In the end he offered 25% discount on $3000 replacement, so I declined to pay $2250 to correct an obvious design defect.

Since then, the dash has pulled away from the windshield and the defect completely ruins the car.

I've been posting my displeasure on every site I find, writing to managers of dealerships all over the US, and telling everyone I can. I hope Jaguar has lost at least a few buyers due to my efforts. I'm going to call Jag NA once more and try again. A class action lawsuit would be nice.

TKnock

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in SoCal. Who could I call to get the name of the repair shop? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:18 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think you should chill out a bit. before buing car you should read about issues on extremely temperatures. theres is thousands of XF here in north Europe without any dash bubling.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Bubbling.

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
If your dash is bubbling, and your out of warranty, their is another option other than the $$$$ and dash removal the dealer wants. One of my local HIGH LINE used car dealer friends gets all his XF dashes redone by a guy who removes the front glass. It takes 2 days for him to remove the glass, stretch glue and then clip/staple the dash leather so it can NEVER shrink and wrinkle again for hundreds instead of thousands.
So if your in So Cali and need more info PM me, if your out of so cal check with some of your local High line used car dealers, My contact says he has never sold an XF that 'didn't need a dash repair' (Its a common XF problem) so this method is probably out there already.
Can you provide more information on this service?

Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you provide contact details or further information on this service?

Thanks
Ken

Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by kenwils
Can you provide more information on this service?
As far as? The shop was Ernie's upholstery in Colton CA. And as I said the remove the front window to fix the dash the post is old so I don't know if Ernie's still exist.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TKnoch
I noticed the bubbling dash on my 2011 XF in 2016, within its 5-year warranty but beyond the 50,000 warranty. I talked with the Jaguar North America rep (800-452-4827) about five times over a month but he always moronically read me a canned response that my concern was being considered. In the end he offered 25% discount on $3000 replacement, so I declined to pay $2250 to correct an obvious design defect.

Since then, the dash has pulled away from the windshield and the defect completely ruins the car.

I've been posting my displeasure on every site I find, writing to managers of dealerships all over the US, and telling everyone I can. I hope Jaguar has lost at least a few buyers due to my efforts. I'm going to call Jag NA once more and try again. A class action lawsuit would be nice
TKnock
If your car falls under the Takata air bag recall, you might talk to Jag about fixing it when you get the recall work done? It has to come out for them to do the recall work anyways.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

It has to come out for them to do the recall work anyways.
Not true. They changed the air bags on both of my XF's without removing the dash.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Not true. They changed the air bags on both of my XF's without removing the dash.
It is true per my tech at Alvarez Jaguar and the manual. Jag has given techs a work around to removing the dash, too many dash replacements at $3k when removing old dashes. Your did techs just did it the faster way, you kept your old dash, my techs did it the manuals way, I got a new dash. Stop your trolling lotus.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

It is true per my tech at Alvarez Jaguar and the manual. Jag has given techs a work around to removing the dash, too many dash replacements at $3k when removing old dashes. Your did techs just did it the faster way, you kept your old dash, my techs did it the manuals way, I got a new dash. Stop your trolling lotus.
Boy, you just can't stand being wrong can you, big troll? You just need a hug, that's all.

Remember when you posted that pic with someone else's Lambo and you pretended it was yours?? That was funny!

Last edited by lotusespritse; 03-11-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Boy, you just can't stand being wrong can you, big troll? You just need a hug, that's all.

Remember when you posted that pic with someone else's Lambo and you pretended it was yours?? That was funny!
I'm not wrong, and apparently neither are you. But you are right I do need a hug and will get that. But you sir need a life outside of trying to prove ME and others wrong..lol

Oh and do you mean when I posted different pictures of my nephews Lambo vs the same grainy old single picture you've posted to at least 2 sites, at 2 different times claiming your ah "taking it on a drive today"? Yep it you are funny...

But here's a RECENT picture of that Lambo Now wrapped in flat white (Crazy kid with all that NBA $$$)

AND I it washed and gassed PCH here I come! As I do drive it from time to time, but I'd never own one because it's not me.

Oh and my nephew is Jordan Clarkson #8 on the Cav's.

Please post a RECENT! picture of you and your Lambo for us lotus? No big deal since all cell phones have a camera right? BUT REMEMBER GOOGLE CAN SEARCH PICTURES...LOL

Last edited by Bigg Will; 03-12-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Dude, you really want to go there??

You don't think I have a Lambo? What you gonna bet that I do??

That's incredible that you would post a video of your relatives Lambo and pretend it's yours on a car forum! Is there anything sadder?? LMFAO!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Dude, you really want to go there??

You don't think I have a Lambo? What you gonna bet that I do??

That's incredible that you would post a video of your relatives Lambo and pretend it's yours on a car forum! Is there anything sadder?? LMFAO!
I think I already have in 2 different threads, And AGAIN I never said it was mine, but you ASSumed I was like YOU.

PICTURES OF YOU AND YOURS PLEASE, BUT I'LL BE GOOGLING THEM...LOL FEEL FREE TO GOOGLE MINE As they are mine..lol

Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

I think I already have in 2 different threads, And AGAIN I never said it was mine, but you ASSumed I was like YOU.

PICTURES OF YOU AND YOURS PLEASE, BUT I'LL BE GOOGLING THEM...LOL FEEL FREE TO GOOGLE MINE As they are mine..lol
What you gonna put up? You calling me a liar, but I am not. You are definitely a liar. So what are you going bet that I have a Lambo, huh?

Old 03-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

I thought Bigg Will wasn't going to stand behind his lies.

So I made a pic for him just now.

And I am sorry, Bigg Will, that your cousin 10 times removed can't afford anything but the baby Lambo. V12 is the only Lambo! Anything else is just a warmed over Audi. Remember, when the doors go up, the panties come down! And the doors don't go up in the Huracan. But at least he lets you wash his car. LMFAO!

Attached Thumbnails If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?-2018-03-12-12.16.35.jpg  

Last edited by lotusespritse; 03-12-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

I thought Bigg Will wasn't going to stand behind his lies.

So I made a pic for him just now.

And I am sorry, Bigg Will, that your cousin 10 times removed can't afford anything but the baby Lambo. V12 is the only Lambo! Anything else is just a warmed over Audi. Remember, when the doors go up, the panties come down! And the doors don't go up in the Huracan. But at least he lets you wash his car. LMFAO!
I HAVE A LIFE
So lets just cut and past the same response from your last TROLLING RANT
then maybe you'll JUST LEAVE MY DAM THREAD!

WOW, why do YOUR pictures NEVER seem to have YOU in them, you know like the ones I took before, I mean that's a real nice you sneaking the paper on the hood of that garaged Lambo, but where the selfie bro.

And as for my nephew the as you say "bench warmer" he makes over $1.5mil a year on just his shoe contract alone and owns that
2015 Huracan
a 2017 RR Drophead coupe
a 2016 ZL1 Camaro
and a 2016 Jeep Wrangler..

And unlike your Dickless - Posti Vac - blow up girl using self, neither he nor I need a car to drop the panties .. lol
So lotustroll get your head out everyone's butt looking for dumb stuff to B & M about. I never have a problem admitting a mistake but unlike your blow up doll, I talk back.

The following users liked this post:
Gpalace (07-02-2018)

Quick Reply: If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?