Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Interior lights (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/interior-lights-213596/)

sogood 02-03-2019 04:48 PM

Interior lights

Having owned my XF for just over a year now, I'm loving it just as much, if not more than when I first got it. Just one very minor niggle that pops up from time to time, is that the interior "map" light in the overhead console comes on and takes a bit of gentle persuasion to get it to go out again. It's mostly the drivers side (RHD) but occasionally the passenger side does it too. This happens whether the exterior lights are on or off and like the glove box, they don't always respond as they should. Is this common? Is there a standard fix? It's not the end of the world but I'd like to sort it if possible. Thanks in advance.

OzXFR 02-03-2019 06:19 PM

Very common issue on older XFs.
Several possible solutions, all easy but all involve pulling the overhead console down out of the roof.
Look closely at the edges of the console and you will see two small slots about 5 mm long. I can't remember now if they are along the back edge or on each side edge.
Poke a medium flat blade screwdriver in one, preferably wrapped in a bit of cloth to prevent damage/scratches, and lever away until the edge of the console drops down by around 1 cm. Then repeat on the other slot, until you have enough room to hook your fingers in behind the console and pull it down. Then you have to pull it down really really hard to release the four strong metal clips that hold it in place.
Once pulled down you can unplug the wiring connector and remove the console completely from the car, or leave the connector plugged in and work from inside the car, your choice. Much easier in my experience with it removed from the car.Then to fix the flicker you have three choices:
1. Remove the three halogen globes and replace them with LEDs - T10 wedge W5W, literally millions on Fleabay. Choice of colours, most go for bright white and/or ice blue. Either way 1 million percent better/nicer lighting than the stock dull sickly yellow globes. Choice of multichip LED SMD, Cree or COB (Chip On Board), I have tried all of them over the years and prefer COB. Simply remove each globe holder from the rear of the console with a 1/4 turn then remove the globe from the holder, reverse to reinstall the globes.
2. Remove the globes and tighten up/adjust the contacts inside the globe holders - the little rings that the globes connect to. Usually you need to lever the little connecting ring out just a little so it connects properly. Quite often just removing the globes and replacing them (with either stock or LED) does the trick.
3. Clean all the electrical contacts, especially those rings in the globe holders, with electrical contact cleaner.
Good luck!

sogood 02-04-2019 03:15 PM

Interior lights

Many thanks for that very detailed description. It brings me back to my XJ ownership and it's sagging headliner. Which makes me feel that I don't want to remove any more headliners any time soon. So, for now I'll file this away and put it on the (maybe) "to do" list. It's not that big an issue and I can live with it for now.
Thanks again.

OzXFR 02-04-2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by sogood (Post 2023234)
Many thanks for that very detailed description. It brings me back to my XJ ownership and it's sagging headliner. Which makes me feel that I don't want to remove any more headliners any time soon. So, for now I'll file this away and put it on the (maybe) "to do" list. It's not that big an issue and I can live with it for now.
Thanks again.

Removing the overhead console does not involve the headliner at all, I removed the console on both my XFS and XFR so many times I lost count and never had a single issue with the headliner.

sogood 02-05-2019 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2023279)
Removing the overhead console does not involve the headliner at all, I removed the console on both my XFS and XFR so many times I lost count and never had a single issue with the headliner.

Major brain fart on my part. Saw one thing, read something else and confused myself in the process. Must remember to take my meds! Thanks again.