XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF 2010 - Sunroof has an opening causing water to leak inside my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF 2010 - Sunroof has an opening causing water to leak inside my car

Found out that it is not the drain but that my sunroof has an opening causing water into my car. I have attached images of the sunroof. PLEASE HELP.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Are you going to fix it?

If not take it to the dealer. Rare problem.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Default Solution needed

If it's an easy fix, I would like to fix it. Does anyone have a solution? Not even sure where to start.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Try opening the sunroof fully, checking for debris, then closing it again.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

ISTR there was a "sunroof" calibration routine which reset the open and closed home positions when I had my XFR and needed to do it after changing the battery. I think it involved opening the sunroof to the tilt position then press and hold the forward (tilt ) button again until the sunroof rumbles into life, closes and then opens fully. Keep button held until the sunroof cycles back to the closed position.

See if that helps.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have tried this solution below to reset the sunroof. My sunroof is still slanted with the opening in the front.

I called two dealership and they mentioned because of the hot heat in Houston, the Plastic Bolt melted, so I need a new track, replace bolts. In order to get to the track, etc. I need to lower the headliner.

I can follow instructions very well, I need to know if anyone can guide me to lower the headliner, and replace the track/bolts.

Reset a Jaguar X-Type sunroof/moonroof to the closed position | darelparker.com

Old 06-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

There were stories of the sunroof mounting bolts working loose and in some cases coming out completely - not sure if they were plastic to melt but I believe the dealer is correct, you need to remove or lower the headliner to get at them. I think there may have been a post in the past from someone who did it, getting the headliner out is the trickiest bit but not impossible. If you push on the sunroof, does it feel loose like a bolt may have come out ?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 PM

Yes when I push on the sunroof from atop, it's loose.
When I push the headliner /visor area, it moves.

I'll try to do a search and hope I can find it.

The dealer is charging $1600 to get this changed. I rather try to attempt it myself.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Jenny - your sunroof mounting bolts are loose. I had the exact same issue on my 2010 5.0 SC. The bolts come loose after a couple years of driving, I think they were undertorqued from the factory to begin with seeing how this seems to be a recurring problem for XF owners.

You can test whether they are loose by pushing your sunroof up so it sits flush with the top of your car. If there's give and they move up, the issue is most likely the bolts I mentioned. That distance is how much your bolts have unscrewed themself.

To access them you need to remove the center light housing (forgot what this thing is called - the thing you turn the lights on and off also where your bluetooth mic is hidden away), and pull the roof liner. Unfortunately, there is no good way to pull the liner without breaking the clips so you will have to replace those - they were fairly cheap from jag direct ($3 bucks each if I remember correctly?

Once you have that, you should be able to see two 10mm nuts swiveling around loose. Torque those bad boys by hand and reinstall everything. The rear bolts are probably loose too but I haven't found a good way to get to them. In any case, this will solve your issue.

Best of luck!

Last edited by mechanicalturkey; 06-06-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 PM

Thank you!!! Yes the dealership mentioned about the bolts and torque. What does torque mean? Does that mean to turn the screw? Sorry it's going to be my first attempt to diy.
To remove the lightning, is it a simple screw?

I guess I can YouTube it. It's just hard to find the Jaguar XF model. Not many video posts.

Anyhow, thank you very much!!! Send more my way if possible, any notes will help me!

Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There won't be any youtube videos on how to do it. Torque in this case means how tight the nut was tightened. If you download the XF workshop manual it'll detail how to remove the headliner

Old 06-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Thank you !! Got the lighting out!

Do you know what it means to pull the liner out which will break the clip ? I'm searching for the sunroof mounting bolts.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Default Roof leaking but no visiual damage

Hi guys,

My sunroof is leaking as well. There is no visible damage to the sunroof, it opens and closes as it should. I've tried the below steps to see where the issue is but I have no luck to figure out WTH is going on with the roof.

1. I cleaned out dust and debris from moon roof, cleaned the gasket, gutter opening, took of the wind breaker and cleaned that as well, bolted it back on.
2. Blew Air in the gutters, tested the gutter as well and water was coming out from behind the front tires as it should.

The roof is leaking from the ceiling center console where the lights are, the water soaks in the corner (top left corner of where the ceiling lights are, not the middle light but to the left of it). I'm not sure why its leaking, do you guys have any suggestions. I have a plastic container on my gear box which is collecting all the water from the heavy rain today, It fills up every 2 hrs. I don't want this to damage my gear box, please help.

Thanks,
Faz

Old 10-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sunroof leak

My 2010 XF Supercharged had a similar issue. The dealer sorted it out for 300 dollars. In my case it was due to the worn mounting bolts. Dealer fully removed sunroof assembly, replaced all bolts. Problem solved. In my case, and in some cases the roof starts to slightly collapse inside the mounts. The roof appears to sit correctly, but its lower in the mounts than it should be, allowing water to seep in.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just completed this fix and wanted to share my thoughts given I wasn’t able to do the fix without first finding this thread and I wanted to provide my additional commentary to help anyone else facing the same situation. The car is a 2010 XF. The front of the sunroof had dropped down about 1 cm and water was getting in at a rate faster than the drain holes could drain the water causing the headliner near the rearview mirror to get wet when driving through a rain storm or going through the car wash. I tested the drain holes with a cup of water and they have no impediments and the water flows freely through the drain holes, exiting just behind the front tires.

Back to the fix. First I removed the sunvisors which use a 20 torx bit. Where the sunvisor connects to the roof, there is a covering that needs to be popped off. I used a paint can opener as that was easy to hook under the covering and pop it down. Next I removed the grab handles which also use a size 20. I then removed the coverings which I believe are called pillar A by the windshield which uses a 25 torx hidden behind the airbag symbol. I did not need to remove the light box from the headliner. I peeled back the rubber door trim. I attempted to remove the pillar B covering which is on the side between the front and rear seats but I was not able to.

At this point I was able to lower the headliner a few inches and have a look around. When I did that a covering behind the rearview mirror popped off but I was able to easily put that back on when I was done. When I lowered the headliner I could see that there were two zinc looking bolts about 1 inch long with a hex head completely loose near the light box in the headliner near the rearview mirror. I then saw there was one bolt completely loose on each side near where the grab handles attach. I tried to look further back but I could see well back there and I did not see any other loose bolts. The bolts use a 10 mm hex driver.

Because I did not completely remove the headliner and I could only pull it down a couple inches, it was somewhat difficult to get the bolts back in place but with a little fiddling around and a flashlight I was able to get the four bolts back into place. I could not see exactly what the bolts were screwing into so I don’t know if the bolts were screwing into a plastic nut or a metal not. Nevertheless, and I don’t know if this was a good idea or not, I put a drop of blue thread locker on each of the bolts to prevent them from wiggling out again. I guess if the nuts are some type of plastic material that will interact with the blue thread locker I’ll have an issue in the future but hopefully that’s not the case. I placed each bolt in a socket driver and threaded them in by hand. I then was able to attach a socket wrench to the 10 mm driver and a tightened up each bolt a little bit. Because I didn’t know if the nuts were plastic, I didn’t want to over tighten the bolts and possibly strip a plastic nut.

I got the four bolts in and before assembling everything I tested their sunroof and it properly closed with the top of the sunroof properly meeting up with the top of the roof. I put everything back together without issue.

I would say the whole job took about two hours. I hope this is helpful to somebody else that encounters a sagging leaking sunroof or moonroof in their XF.

The following 3 users liked this post by GAford:
Angrycanuck (09-20-2020), thistle4celtic1 (01-19-2021), TXFireblade (10-18-2019)