Jaguar XF display screen flickering / flashing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Black plastic box

The black plastic box = bluetooth module

Old 11-18-2018, 06:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I purchased two fiber optic loops to bypass the Bluetooth and Siri Satellite module. When connected, is the screen supposed to work without the modules?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 PM

I already seen something about bypassing those 2 modules somewhere on this site. I believe its possible because this 2 modules are not in every car its a +.

The following users liked this post:
Rique (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

There was a great thread on here perhaps a year or more ago where someone systematically bypassed each module in turn using appropriate loops to work out which was faulty. Have a search around the forum - it was quite thoughtful

Old 11-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah - I'm in the same boat. Picked up the car 6 months ago and everything worked great - except BT for some reason. Didn't even try to pair any of the phones I had, but loved the car and ignored the problem. After the rain a few days ago, I got the flashing Jaguar screen. After reading this thread- it made perfect sense and I excitedly purchased a unit from the 'bay. Not only would I get my screen back, but I'd also be able to finally use my phone!
No love.
Screen still flashes

Old 11-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rockytt
Yeah - I'm in the same boat. Picked up the car 6 months ago and everything worked great - except BT for some reason. Didn't even try to pair any of the phones I had, but loved the car and ignored the problem. After the rain a few days ago, I got the flashing Jaguar screen. After reading this thread- it made perfect sense and I excitedly purchased a unit from the 'bay. Not only would I get my screen back, but I'd also be able to finally use my phone!
No love.
Screen still flashes
The BT module is in the passenger floor under the seat. It seems to get wet and corrode/fail on some cars that let a bit of damp in under there. But they are cheap to buy online and an easy swap. Assuming that's your issue maybe just try swapping it out? A couple of people put the replacement above a plastic container they cut to fit underneath it to help keep it dry

Old 11-28-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
The BT module is in the passenger floor under the seat. It seems to get wet and corrode/fail on some cars that let a bit of damp in under there. But they are cheap to buy online and an easy swap. Assuming that's your issue maybe just try swapping it out? A couple of people put the replacement above a plastic container they cut to fit underneath it to help keep it dry
Yup - that's exactly what I did - no change

I guess the next step is the whole "trace the optical signal until you find the bad module" trick - doesn't sound like a lot of fun - but from this thread, it appears that's the only real next step...

Old 11-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Default Fuse ?

Originally Posted by rockytt
Yup - that's exactly what I did - no change

I guess the next step is the whole "trace the optical signal until you find the bad module" trick - doesn't sound like a lot of fun - but from this thread, it appears that's the only real next step...
Did you check the fuse ? Did you check if all the wires and connectors were still good ? Because at some point I had to rebuilt all the wires and change connectors.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:50 AM

Did you check the fuse ? Did you check if all the wires and connectors were still good ?
Thanks for helping out - much appreciated!
Yes, I checked all the fuses in trunk (right/rear fender) and they were good. Wires and connectors looked good too - actually when I pulled/swapped the BT module, it almost looked new - none of the horror shows that some of you have uncovered when you pulled the seat.

This one had seemed like a no-brainer: Couldn't (ever) connect any phones via BT, a little rain this week and then I lose the display - I was expecting to see a mess when I pulled the unit - almost sad that I didn't...

Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jaguarxfv8

Did you check the fuse ? Did you check if all the wires and connectors were still good ? Because at some point I had to rebuilt all the wires and change connectors.
If the fiber optic cables flash red then they are ok right? or did you change them anyway? My Radio will work at times then die. I thought I had a bad contact and cleaned everything. Now its dead all the time
so I guess I messed something that was sort of working.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rique
If the fiber optic cables flash red then they are ok right? or did you change them anyway? My Radio will work at times then die. I thought I had a bad contact and cleaned everything. Now its dead all the time
so I guess I messed something that was sort of working.
euh that’s wierd ! Did you change both module under the seat ? If the optic cable flash red it mean its working.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote: Yes, I checked all the fuses in trunk (right/rear fender) and they were good.

Did you check all the fuse boxes? There are 3x fuse boxes on the XF. One in the engine compartment. One in passenger footwell. And one in side of the trunk. Did you check all three?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote: Yes, I checked all the fuses in trunk (right/rear fender) and they were good.

Did you check all the fuse boxes? There are 3x fuse boxes on the XF. One in the engine compartment. One in passenger footwell. And one in side of the trunk. Did you check all three?
In these boxes are there specific fuses that must be checked?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:59 PM

no only the one in the trunk to the right because this is where the fuse for the nav screen is located

Old 12-03-2018, 02:09 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just had mine fixed.It was flashing on and off as described for a number of days, then would be ok for maybe a week.
Was diagnosed as a faulty Navigation unit, which has been replaced with a second hand unit.
Hopefully all will be sorted now!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:48 PM

So - had a spare hour (finally!) and a fiber optic bypass loop and started playing today.
Got down to the metal Sirius module underneath the plastic BT module.
Unplugged the FO cable and could see red light in one of the ends (good news).
Plugged in the bypass loop and looked up and my screen - no more flickering(!)

I'm irrationally optimistic that this pretty definitively calls out the Sirius module as bad/dead and the good news is that they are pretty cheap on the 'bay.

Last dumb question of the year: Since I never use Sirius radio, is there any harm in just leaving the loop bypass in place? Is there anything else that won't function? (Ok, that was 2 dumb questions...)

edit:
So, I put everything back together and left the bypass in place to keep the Sirius module out of the loop - everything works great now, and as a bonus I can now pair my phone for the first time -

Last edited by rockytt; 12-29-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtBlanc
I had the same problem. After removing the driver's seat and carpet I found that the previous owner had already disconnected the Bluetooth module and the iPod module. Both were corroded. I disconnected the negative on the battery and I removed both modules and cleaned the connections as best as possible and reconnected them. After reconnecting the battery I saw the display Flash a few times like previously and then it went off. After that I could not get the car to start. I checked the battery and the voltage was low so I charged the battery for a while but the display did not come back on at all and the car will not start. I disconnected the negative terminal again and disconnected both modules again but the car still would not start . I am charging the battery again now to make sure that is not the problem.
Any news after changing the battery again ?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF Infotainment Flashing Screen and Presets Loss

I have a 2011 Jaguar XF with an on-going problem since 2014 which every dealership has failed to fix and I have periodically checked to see if anyone else has had any resolution.

1. While driving, my infotainment system screen, while on any mode (AM, FM, XM, CD or Nav) while driving, will flash a white screen on and off. When it happens, the audio is NOT interrupted, but the screen flashes a white screen momentarily and then goes back to the screen it was initially on. This can happen 1-5 times within a single 20-minute drive. Some days it won't happen but then other days it can happen any number of times. It has nothing to do with going under bridge or tunnel, etc. Has nothing to do with losing a signal because the audio remains in tact and can happen on an open road with no obstructions.

2. XM presets being lost. For four years i have complained to the dealership that out of nowhere my XM presets get cancelled and lost. Typically this happens between 1-3 times ever week or every other week. On a few occasions it happened 2 times in one day. It does NOT happen when I am driving. I could be driving to work and all presets are there. I go to lunch all presets are there and then by end of the day I go to leave to go home, get in the car, and all of the presets have vanished! I have to reset all of them each time which is a royal pain.

I had read there could be a low voltage reading a while back, I had that checked but it was fine, I eventually replaced the battery anyway. Still happened. Then I was told there was an update, but was not for the 2011 model year.

Please let me know if you have these precise issues as well with your XF and if you have had any resolution. Obviously the car is out of warranty but I had brought it in more than 6 times for these precise issues while it was under warranty and it was never addressed/fixed.

I will share my other Jag issues shortly but I just had to dump more than $4500 into this car for leaks. This car has 43,000 miles on it and has been babied. It is outrageous!

Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 PM

Not those exact symptoms, nor am I an expert - but have you tried swapping out the Sirius module located underneath the driver seat seat? My Sirius module is faulty, but as I don't use it I just popped in one of those fiber-optic loops as referenced in this thread. I also swapped out the BlueTooth module a couple weeks earlier. Just curious if the dealerships have tried this...

Old 01-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguargirl69
2. XM presets being lost. For four years i have complained to the dealership that out of nowhere my XM presets get cancelled and lost. Typically this happens between 1-3 times ever week or every other week. On a few occasions it happened 2 times in one day. It does NOT happen when I am driving. I could be driving to work and all presets are there. I go to lunch all presets are there and then by end of the day I go to leave to go home, get in the car, and all of the presets have vanished! I have to reset all of them each time which is a royal pain.
Not sure how helpful this is, but there's a TSB for XM presets being lost, which implies a software update will fix it. The dealer has to follow specific instructions that are listed in the TSB.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF display screen flickering / flashing