XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Light Weight Two Piece Rotors on a XFR-S - Install & First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Great job Mr Jones!
You obviously took it slow and careful which is the way to get it right.
And good to see that the smaller decals fitted on the rear caliper plates.
Sorry I forgot to tell you that the front decals are a little longer than the OEM decals (well at least those on the F-Type) and as a result they hang just over the flat parts at each end, but you obviously worked that out yourself.
Did you clear coat over the decals or not?

Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Great job Mr Jones!
You obviously took it slow and careful which is the way to get it right.
And good to see that the smaller decals fitted on the rear caliper plates.
Sorry I forgot to tell you that the front decals are a little longer than the OEM decals (well at least those on the F-Type) and as a result they hang just over the flat parts at each end, but you obviously worked that out yourself.
Did you clear coat over the decals or not?
Yes, I was explaining to my brother, that actual time put in was about 6 to 8 hours, but it was spread out over 2.5 days to ensure that paint had dried in between, re-coating or handling.

I cleared over the decals, over the specific plates for the rear and the front clips, with a solid 3 layers of clear coat.
The rest of the calipers, got 2 light coats of clear, the focus was to really protect the decals.

Here's another photo from this morning, car hasn't been cleaned, but it is a nice overview of the finished result (parking lot of the brake caliper tool rental/ loan place):

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (08-19-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Looks much better with all the red removed.

Brakes are such a pain because everything you do has to be multiplied by 4. I have painted a number of brakes on my cars, and it's a real hassle. I prefer to use the G2 epoxy paint because it gives a much longer lasting, and a richer look than rattle cans. Less work with masking things off. Spray can paint usually starts chipping off after a couple of years on daily drivers.

You might need to clay bar your car since it doesn't look like you covered it when you were spraying. That mist gets everywhere and lands all over the car. I use the $10 plastic car covers from Amazon to protect the paint of the car whenever spraying anything, even in an enclosed garage.

Panthro (08-19-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

How are the Wortec rotors holding up at the track? Notice any difference from the OEMs?

Old 10-22-2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
How are the Wortec rotors holding up at the track? Notice any difference from the OEMs?
So I haven't been to an actual road-course, or anything like that, just the 1/4 mile track, and slowing down after hitting 120+mph I have steady and confident pedal feel, which I can't say was always the case with factory rotors and pads.

Mind you the last time I was at the track with the factory setup (back in June of this year), after doing back to back to back repeated stops/ slow downs from 200kph (~124mph) down to 30kph (~18mph) or less, ended up inducing brake fade with the factory setup, but my rear pads were pretty worn, I actually triggered the wear brake sensor, while I was at the track (as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread)

Now that I have these installed, I probably got a total of 7+ runs in over a period of 2.5 hrs, and towards the end, I don't think I even had 10minutes between my last two runs, and at no point did the brakes hint of fade.

On the upside in normal driving, day to day, they are not as grabby or as touchy as the factory setup was (just another bonus, but I think that's down to the ceramic pads more than the rotors).

Old 04-12-2020, 12:30 PM

So I've been at it again... I liked the painted calipers so much, this time I decided to have the calipers professionally powder coated, while the car was in winter storage. I removed all the calipers myself, and dropped them off at a place that would do a complete dismantle of each physical caliper, then eventually they would have them powder coated, then re-assemble each caliper.

I picked them up at the end of March, and finally installed them about a week ago, but unfortunately the car is still sitting in winter storage, the weather has taken a turn for the worse in Calgary, still snowing even though its mid April, and the whole pandemic thing doesn't really encourage you to want to get out and drive, so car will remain in storage till end of May, we'll see where we're at by then.

I have always painted calipers in the past, and never had them powder coated, now that I have done the powder coat option, I can honestly say, I will probably never paint calipers again, for the amount of effort required for both, the cost difference becomes negligible to do it properly. Cost of paint alone, is ~$100Cdn. and the cost to have them professionally powder coated will vary between $500 - $1,000Cdn, all depends if you want to dismantle the calipers yourself, or not. Then you factor in that to paint the calipers its probably a total investment of 8hrs between prepping and painting (multiple coats), so its not a continuous 8hrs, probably best done over 2-3 days. Not sure what your time is worth, but in my case the $900Cdn difference, was initially a bit of a gulp, but once I seen how the new calipers turned out, and better yet, how much more resilient the powder coat finish is opposed to the painted finish, it becomes a no-brainer.

Either way, here are some pics of the finished product:

Rear Right, with new pads

Front Right, re-used old pads, as they were barely worn

Front Right, different angle

Front Right, different angle

Front Left, different angle

Rear Left

Front Right, with Wheel installed

Rear Left, with wheel installed

The following 2 users liked this post by H.Jones:
enderle (10-16-2020), Panthro (04-13-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

Out of curiosity why did you go yellow and not blue or black?

Old 10-21-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
Out of curiosity why did you go yellow and not blue or black?
Contrast and personal preference.

Car came with red calipers from the factory, on a blue car, I presume they did that for a reason, to make it stand out.

With the "bronze" wheels, I thought yellow or orange would tie it all together nicely. I would have only considered doing black, but again not likely as I would want them to stand out. To do them in blue would be really odd.

enderle (10-22-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

They should be any colour you'd like. Body coloured match on calipers seems to be most popular on Lamborghinis where colour matching everything is envogue. Yellow though is mosg commonly reserved for designating carbon brakes on Jaguar and Porsche. To each their own.

enderle (10-23-2020)