XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Lowering Springs for XFR and XFR-S with ADS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Lowering Springs for XFR and XFR-S with ADS

Hey Everyone,

Currently the aftermarket scene is is pretty negligible in terms of suspension components for our cars (buying the spires coilovers is way too expensive for someone like me who lives in Canada), so I've taken it upon myself to start the ball rolling. I've sent my stock XFR-S springs to VelocityAP and was wondering how many people would be interested in progressive rated lowering springs that provide up to a 22mm drop and compatible with the Adaptive Dynamics System?

As you know, VelocityAP have made lowering springs for the FType and the XE so the XFR and XFR-S are no different.

Lets start a list of interested folks and I'll update this thread regularly with progress on the springs, install, wheel alignment and pictures of the after results.

Note: If you are worried about rubbing, fender clearance, uneven tire wear, less contact with the road, and ADS Faults, i can assure you that is not going to happen. My XFR-S is currently on progressive lowering springs with a 30mm drop and i have full contact of the road, no rubbing and no clearance issues with fenders or bottoming out. There's reasons for me wanting the VelocityAP springs because the roads are crap in Greater Vancouver area, so ground clearance is an issue (steep curb driveways and lot's of big dips in roads) and the police are cracking down on modified cars so i want to make sure my car is fully MVA and CVSE compliant.

1. Zamir Chatur

Last edited by Zamir Chatur; 04-16-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

interested.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Zamir Chatur
Hey Everyone,

Currently the aftermarket scene is is pretty negligible in terms of suspension components for our cars (buying the spires coilovers is way too expensive for someone like me who lives in Canada), so I've taken it upon myself to start the ball rolling. I've sent my stock XFR-S springs to VelocityAP and was wondering how many people would be interested in progressive rated lowering springs that provide up to a 22mm drop and compatible with the Adaptive Dynamics System?

As you know, VelocityAP have made lowering springs for the FType and the XE so the XFR and XFR-S are no different.

Lets start a list of interested folks and I'll update this thread regularly with progress on the springs, install, wheel alignment and pictures of the after results.

Note: If you are worried about rubbing, fender clearance, uneven tire wear, less contact with the road, and ADS Faults, i can assure you that is not going to happen. My XFR-S is currently on progressive lowering springs with a 30mm drop and i have full contact of the road, no rubbing and no clearance issues with fenders or bottoming out. There's reasons for me wanting the VelocityAP springs because the roads are crap in Greater Vancouver area, so ground clearance is an issue (steep curb driveways and lot's of big dips in roads) and the police are cracking down on modified cars so i want to make sure my car is fully MVA and CVSE compliant.

1. Zamir Chatur
Hey Zamir,

Normally I would be all over this, but I really shouldn't lower my car, as the roads in Calgary, are even worse... I struggle as is with potential rubbing, if I'm not extremely careful, I won't sign up for the original group-by, but I would be curious what the cost would be. Thanks,

Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Just a warning, lowering the XFs will cause excessive negative camber (-3 to -4) in the rear which you cannot dial out. Be prepared the replace the rear tires very often as the inside edges wear out quickly.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Just a warning, lowering the XFs will cause excessive negative camber (-3 to -4) in the rear which you cannot dial out. Be prepared the replace the rear tires very often as the inside edges wear out quickly.
Maybe, maybe not.
I fitted Eibach springs to my old XFS which dropped the front by 30 mm and the rear by 26 mm and yes the increase in negative camber caused the inside edges of the rear tyres to wear very quickly.
But I fitted VAP springs to my F-Type (which has very similar rear suspension geometry to the XF) 19 months ago which dropped both front and rear by 22 mm, and I fitted new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres a couple of weeks later, and so far there is no excessive wear on the inside edges of the tyres either front or back. Fractionally more wear on the inside edges but barely noticeable, pretty much even wear right across the tyres.
So it is possible that a drop of "only" 22 mm as proposed by Zamir will not be a big problem regards wear.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 AM

Yeah not sure where your getting -3 to -4 camber from, but those measurements basically mean your riding on the absolute edge of the inner tire. I'm currently dropped on 30mm lowering springs and im .2 degrees out of spec on the rear and .1 degree out of spec on the front. Which is why i believe a 22mm drop will bring it within spec.

Just a heads up, we need more interest to get them to start production. I guess it's because the XF250 are dated even though personally they are way better than the current gen XF and XE.

To give you an idea of how it will look, this is my XFR-S lowered on 30mm springs with the stock wheels, no rubbing or issues at all.

The following users liked this post:
Turbine Guy (05-06-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this has peaked my interest. Is there any follow up?

MrN

Old 03-27-2020, 09:37 PM

^unfortunately velocityAP said there wasn't enough traction to mass produce so that won't be happening. On a side note I'm still on my lowered springs and have no camber ware issues. Although they are for sale now if intrested since my new condo is not lowered friendly at all ><

Other than that, I believe spires UK has a set of lowering springs available

Old 05-13-2020, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested

Old 07-17-2020, 08:04 AM

Yeah not sure where your getting -3 to -4 camber from, but those measurements basically mean your riding on the absolute edge of the inner tire. I'm currently dropped on 30mm lowering springs and im .2 degrees out of spec on the rear and .1 degree out of spec on the front. Which is why i believe a 22mm drop will bring it within spec.

Just a heads up, we need more interest to get them to start production. I guess it's because the XF250 are dated even though personally they are way better than the current gen XF and XE.

To give you an idea of how it will look, this is my XFR-S lowered on 30mm springs with the stock wheels, no rubbing or issues at all.
Reviving this old thread as I was looking into lowering springs, I understand VAP said they won't produce any, so I thought about using H&R's. But reading through several threads from others who did lowering springs, I see a common issue of excessive tire wear on the inner edge. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...camber-178379/

You're saying you never had excess tire wear issues? Which springs were you using?

Last edited by Jaaaggg; 07-17-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Reviving this old thread as I was looking into lowering springs, I understand VAP said they won't produce any, so I thought about using H&R's. But reading through several threads from others who did lowering springs, I see a common issue of excessive tire wear on the inner edge. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...camber-178379/

You're saying you never had excess tire wear issues? Which springs were you using?
I was using h&r springs from paramount performance. After alignment i was barely out of spec and looked like i still had full tred contact on my tires. In terms of unevem tire wear, i didn't notice any, i would check the tred depth on the inside and the outside and they would read the same. Im not sure if paramount had them done differently compared to just buying them directly from h&r. Those springs I've now put them up for sale btw

Old 07-17-2020, 02:00 PM

I was using h&r springs from paramount performance. After alignment i was barely out of spec and looked like i still had full tred contact on my tires. In terms of unevem tire wear, i didn't notice any, i would check the tred depth on the inside and the outside and they would read the same. Im not sure if paramount had them done differently compared to just buying them directly from h&r. Those springs I've now put them up for sale btw
Maybe the different suspension components and geometry of the XFR-S helped with the alignment being in spec. Most of the inner tire wear issues I have seen are from standard XF models, this is just my guess.

I saw that your springs were for sale (good luck!), unfortunately 30mm is too much of a drop for my taste and I would worry about the camber issues in the rear. Through my search, I found that Spires in UK has springs that supposedly fit all XF models (Jaguar XF 2.2P, 2.2D, V6, V6D, V8, SV8) and these have a conservative drop 18mm front/rear.

https://www.spires-st.com/product/xf...ering-springs/

And they explicitly state "On vehicle development has shown the XF suspension does not lend itself to aggressive lowering so our springs ensure the XF’s pure handling balance and comfort is unaffected. OE specification wheel travels and clearances are also maintained." I emailed them to see if they can ship overseas.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:40 PM

Thats actually what i ended up getting after lol, i can confirm it works on the xfrs, and you will be within spec with alignment. Had to get the spires springs because of the restrictions in Vancouver BC, they are cracking down on modified vehicles. Wheel gap has to be a minimum of 1 inch apparently, even though it's not stated in the MVA.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:35 AM

Thats actually what i ended up getting after lol, i can confirm it works on the xfrs, and you will be within spec with alignment. Had to get the spires springs because of the restrictions in Vancouver BC, they are cracking down on modified vehicles. Wheel gap has to be a minimum of 1 inch apparently, even though it's not stated in the MVA.
That's great to hear! Regulations on vehicle ride height? Man, it's getting harder and harder to be a car enthusiast everywhere.

How is the handling on Spires springs? Noticeably less body roll, pitch, and dive?

Old 07-22-2020, 01:01 PM

That's great to hear! Regulations on vehicle ride height? Man, it's getting harder and harder to be a car enthusiast everywhere.

How is the handling on Spires springs? Noticeably less body roll, pitch, and dive?
definitely is not easy in these times to be a car enthusiast haha.

Im coming from having my h&r springs on for a year so its hard to remember what it was like when I had stock springs. Comparing h&r to spires, h&r was a lot stiffer and more planted on the corners. The spires feel softer and more comfortable, i would say it felt stock without the stock height. The ride height correction shoms were a help too.

Here are some pictures of the car with the spires springs

The following 2 users liked this post by Zamir Chatur:
Jaaaggg (07-22-2020), Reaxions (11-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2020, 02:05 PM

definitely is not easy in these times to be a car enthusiast haha.

Im coming from having my h&r springs on for a year so its hard to remember what it was like when I had stock springs. Comparing h&r to spires, h&r was a lot stiffer and more planted on the corners. The spires feel softer and more comfortable, i would say it felt stock without the stock height. The ride height correction shoms were a help too.

Here are some pictures of the car with the spires springs
Your experience with the springs lines up with what the guys I spoke with at Spires stated. Spires springs were developed based on the XFRS springs, so they are only 10% stiffer than a regular XFR. It makes sense that you feel the handling is similar to a stock XFRS. These springs will probably be a more noticeable upgrade on my XFR, in terms of handling.

Thanks for the pictures, I love the stance on your car, it looks perfect.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread, but I thought I'd chime in to see if anyone has installed these lowering springs on their xfr recently. I'm trying to find a set for my 15 xfr.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:32 AM
Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

Didn't realize this was an old thread that got bumped right away and almost put my name in the #2 Spot haha

Cant find a link for the Spires springs now, just their website that goes over services only

Exhauat Note Channel (04-17-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by DeviLSh
Didn't realize this was an old thread that got bumped right away and almost put my name in the #2 Spot haha

Cant find a link for the Spires springs now, just their website that goes over services only
Email spires tuning, they will have it for you even if not on the site.

DeviLSh (04-25-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I just installed the Spires springs. They fit well, felt good, and gave a nice drop without looking slammed. One word of warning, if you're doing your own install - my previous spring compressors wouldn't fit between the tightly packed coils, so I had to spend $40 on a new set (AutoZone or something), but only after scratching the sh*t out of the powdercoat on the first spring trying to wedge the hooks in.

Unfortunately, I can't offer too much feedback, though, as I haven't had much time with them. As soon as I started testing out all of my suspension work (Spires springs, new control arms, some poly bushings, etc.), my water pump pissed coolant everywhere, and now I'm working on all of that.

I'd feel comfortable ordering them again, though.

The following 3 users liked this post by Reaxions:
DeviLSh (04-27-2022), Exhauat Note Channel (04-26-2022), VicVegas84 (05-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs for XFR and XFR-S with ADS