XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New member looking at 2012 Jaguar XF w/ Questions about warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member looking at 2012 Jaguar XF w/ Questions about warranty!

Hi Guys:

I am Edward from Ontario and have been looking to buy my first real car (not a student car) since my company is giving me 535 a month towards it.

I have been looking at a lot of used 2012 Xfs and I keep seeing a lot of Portfolio Trims Models from various dealers that are 4k to 5k less than the Jaguar 2012 Xf base models at the Jag Dealership.

I dont have a very specific question but want to know the pros and cons. And if the pros are worth the extra 5k? As far as warranty goes I believe at this time, every 2012 Xf is still under the original Factory warranty regardless who you buy it from right? I'd like to extend the warranty after the factory expired and would like to know your input on Jag Dealer vs 3rd Party Dealer (Mitsubishi, Independent dealers).

I am aware this question may have been asked before so if theres a thread related to this please feel free to send me in the right direction.

Thanks and I really appreciate your input! : )

Old 04-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The big pro is you'll know what your expenses will be for the life of the loan if you get it.
The con is if you don't have any issues, you wasted your money.

I always get the warranty with a used car since the loan is substantial and lengthy.

If you can afford to buy the car outright, I wouldn't bother with the warranty.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by glenonoka
The big pro is you'll know what your expenses will be for the life of the loan if you get it.
The con is if you don't have any issues, you wasted your money.

I always get the warranty with a used car since the loan is substantial and lengthy.

If you can afford to buy the car outright, I wouldn't bother with the warranty.
Thanks for the reply, I realize I wasn't clear in my questions. I will buy the extended warranty, but I want to know the pros and cons between buying from the official Jaguar dealership vs other used car dealers. I am not sure if it matters since all 2012 XFs are still under factory warranty at this point right?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:53 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Are the Xf's at the Jaguar Dealerships Certified Pre-Owned (CPO)? That may explain the higher price for the car. The CPO Warranty takes the normal warranty to 6 years and 100,000 miles. The manufacturer warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles. If the dealer cars are NOT CPO then get your best deal at the other non Jaguar dealerships. But....go back to the Jaguar dealership and get an extended warranty.

The following users liked this post:
Soap (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM

That's very helpful XJL. Since all the 2012s are all still under the factory warranty, it's safe to buy any of them from any dealer as long as they are accident free. If there are any kinks that need to be fixed after purchase, they will be covered by the warranty right?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

That is correct. Purchased mine and had about 4 months to get everything corrected under the factory warranty.

Purchased an extended warranty through the dealer at the time of purchase. I could have waited, but not past when the factory warranty expired. Many warranties are like this. I paid $3900 for seven years from the date I purchased it or 100k miles total. It had 34k miles and I only plan on driving it about 10k per year so it really worked for me.

Use the Carfax to see what the date of service was on the car and you will know how much warranty is left is both time and in miles before you start negotiating.

Soap (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

That's an excellent point about using CARFAX! It will give you the exact date the car was originally sold at a dealership. This is the date the manufacturer warranty begins, NOT when the car was assembled. For instance, one of my cars was assembled in January of 2012. But it was not sold until December of 2012. This means I get almost another 12 months of warranty. This is important to know when you are comparing different vehicles.

The manufacturer warranty will cover the car no matter where you make the purchase. Also to clarify, the basic warranty is for 4 years OR 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. The 2011's also cover all maintenance (oil changes, wipers, etc.) for 5 years while the 2012's are covered for 4 years.

Soap (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by XJL
That's an excellent point about using CARFAX! It will give you the exact date the car was originally sold at a dealership. This is the date the manufacturer warranty begins, NOT when the car was assembled. For instance, one of my cars was assembled in January of 2012. But it was not sold until December of 2012. This means I get almost another 12 months of warranty. This is important to know when you are comparing different vehicles.

The manufacturer warranty will cover the car no matter where you make the purchase. Also to clarify, the basic warranty is for 4 years OR 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. The 2011's also cover all maintenance (oil changes, wipers, etc.) for 5 years while the 2012's are covered for 4 years.
Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
That is correct. Purchased mine and had about 4 months to get everything corrected under the factory warranty.

Purchased an extended warranty through the dealer at the time of purchase. I could have waited, but not past when the factory warranty expired. Many warranties are like this. I paid $3900 for seven years from the date I purchased it or 100k miles total. It had 34k miles and I only plan on driving it about 10k per year so it really worked for me.

Use the Carfax to see what the date of service was on the car and you will know how much warranty is left is both time and in miles before you start negotiating.
Extremely helpful guys, really appreciate the feedback!