XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

P0171 & P0174 Both Banks Lean

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default P0171 & P0174 Both Banks Lean

I have looked everywhere, traced all the hoses even used propane to spray and listen for engine rev changes. I cannot find a vacuum leak in either the lines or the intake, is it possible it's not an vacuum leak?
Heres the situation, I only get the code when I first run the engine. After start up, the code will set within 3 to 15 minutes, driving or not. Then, if I reset the code, I can literally drive for hundreds of miles with no code until I stop and restart the engine. You would think if it were a vacuum leak, the code would keep coming back soon after reset every time.

I've changed the fuel filter and air filter, cleaned the MAF and run Seafoam thru the tank twice, no change.

Any ideas?

I

Old 02-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Get the official jag doc and read other threads.

You'll see the known causes and also that they're 2-trip codes plus what that means

You normally cannot see or hear the cause of the codes because the car can detect what you can't easily find. So... that's why people have described in detail what to do. And why you want to read those posts.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Get the official jag doc and read other threads.

You'll see the known causes and also that they're 2-trip codes plus what that means

You normally cannot see or hear the cause of the codes because the car can detect what you can't easily find. So... that's why people have described in detail what to do. And why you want to read those posts.
Hi Jagv8, What is the "official jag doc"?
Also, I've done the search for the 2 codes, I return 4 results, not a huge help for my situation. Could you point me in the direction that may help?
Thank you!

Eddie

Old 02-22-2018, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member

You will get hundreds of results. Read some...

Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

I have had the same problem. I think the computer controlled engine systems adapt so quickly that unless you look at the fuel trims you just can't hear any changes.

When I did the exact same thing I was certain the engine did NOT react to anything I did BUT when I monitored the fuel trims it was very easy to see what reacted and how fast.

I found my leaking P/B connection in less than 5 minutes.

It really is a world of difference.

The following users liked this post:
wardo5757 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:00 PM

You will get hundreds of results. Read some...
I just told you in the previous response how many I got and asked you specific questions.
Are all of your 21,000 post on this forum as useless as this one? If so, maybe you should give your keyboard and forum users a rest, and not post your bullshit responses...

Old 02-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have had the same problem. I think the computer controlled engine systems adapt so quickly that unless you look at the fuel trims you just can't hear any changes.

When I did the exact same thing I was certain the engine did NOT react to anything I did BUT when I monitored the fuel trims it was very easy to see what reacted and how fast.

I found my leaking P/B connection in less than 5 minutes.

It really is a world of difference.
Thank you clubairth, I'll give that a try this weekend. Considering the timing of the CEL, I will take a look at my EGR valve as well, if it's easily accessible..

Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

As odd as it may seem, check for exhaust leaks as well as the EGR fittings.

+1 on monitoring fuel trims to see where they go.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wardo5757
I just told you in the previous response how many I got and asked you specific questions.
Are all of your 21,000 post on this forum as useless as this one? If so, maybe you should give your keyboard and forum users a rest, and not post your bullshit responses...
Try harder to use Search or even use google. When a long term member tells you there are 100s of matches you know YOU are doing something wrong. Either try harder or ask.

If you REALLY cannot get 100s of posts explain EXACTLY what steps you used and someone will HELP you. Just complaining isn't gonna work.

Last edited by JagV8; 02-23-2018 at 05:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DanteDiVolo (12-03-2021)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:40 PM

Try harder to use Search or even use google. When a long term member tells you there are 100s of matches you know YOU are doing something wrong. Either try harder or ask.

If you REALLY cannot get 100s of posts explain EXACTLY what steps you used and someone will HELP you. Just complaining isn't gonna work.
See, you are indeed a "long term member", I can tell by your insistence on being right. Why don't you simply use the two codes in my thread and do the search for yourself, you will come up with exactly 4 responses (not including my thread). And yes, Ive googled it, but google will not return common problems with this vehicle that may be causing that code (I think that's the purpose of this forum).

Just to be clear, you have been absolutely no help, I've been in many forums where guys like you like to chime in just to move thier thread count, and my complaining is only about your ignorant non-relevant responses. I've gotten more help from other "non-long term members" here who understand the purpose of these forums.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

I did and did NOT get so few. YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. You ought to take the advice given instead of insisting on being wrong.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

The reality is that searching for jag codes only gives some clue to the dozen or so reasons(parts to replace) why this, or most other codes trip.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:36 PM

I did and did NOT get so few. YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. You ought to take the advice given instead of insisting on being wrong.
Keep racking up your post count..... useless....

Old 02-26-2018, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

See post #9 if you actually want help rather to moan pointlessly.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:04 PM

See post #9 if you actually want help rather to moan pointlessly.
Yes, you and post 9 are useless, but at least you’re consistent.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

OK, it's your car, your inability to Search or get help on how to.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:56 PM

OK, it's your car, your inability to Search or get help on how to.
LOL, and you're still as useless as you were in post 2, but hey! You got your post count up quite a bit in this thread! Good for you, useless.... I'm sure you have at least one more post in you tonight, go for it!

If you were to stop being so pompous and read, then comprehend my original post, you would see that I described my search terms and told you exactly what that search returned. You will also note I asked you a direct question quoting your first response, all of which you've chosen to ignore. Maybe you have problems comprehending, maybe you're just dumb, I don't know.
I do know, you have been completely useless here, you are a pusillanimous nuisance, if you can't help, then go away. You can be sure, my little problem will be fixed with or without your help, it's how we conduct our selves here that makes the difference, and you have been nothing but useless.

Last edited by wardo5757; 02-26-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wardo5757
LOL, and you're still as useless as you were in post 2, but hey! You got your post count up quite a bit in this thread! Good for you, useless.... I'm sure you have at least one more post in you tonight, go for it!

If you were to stop being so pompous and read, then comprehend my original post, you would see that I described my search terms and told you exactly what that search returned. You will also note I asked you a direct question quoting your first response, all of which you've chosen to ignore. Maybe you have problems comprehending, maybe you're just dumb, I don't know.
I do know, you have been completely useless here, you are a pusillanimous nuisance, if you can't help, then go away. You can be sure, my little problem will be fixed with or without your help, it's how we conduct our selves here that makes the difference, and you have been nothing but useless.
I started checking out this thread due to the fact that I have been fighting 0171 and 0174 for at least 3 years on my 05 s type with the help of members over in the s type section. I can completely relate to your frustration with these codes. I have to say that jagv8 has participated a great deal in trying to help me but alas, I still have not won that battle. To the point that I have surrendered and bought another car this weekend (the 09 xf) because I just cant do it anymore. I have done everything suggested by jagv8 and too many others to list, but I lost the battle. I smoke tested engine twice, changed too any parts to list, done the propane and carb cleaner tests, monitored fuel trims like crazy and on and on and on. I believe that the problem, at least in my case, is fixable if I were to turn the car over to a jaguar dealer with an open checkbook. I do believe there are hundreds of archived threads about 0171 and 0174, which indicates to me that even though this subject is documented in all other car forums on the internet, it seems to be a particular nuissance to our Jags, but I bet there will be rebuttal to that statement. But....my wife loves her Jaguars and consequently, I bought one with less than 1/2 the miles as on my old s type and I am praying I don't have to battle the lean codes on this car for at least a while.
Some of the responses trying to help those of us asking for help do come across a little short sometimes but probably not intentionally. I found I had to suck it up and appreciate the vast majority of people who really are well intentioned. If you find that freaking cause of your lean codes, please post it so I can see if its something I have not yet checked on my s type.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archid=8669679

I get 418 responses hard to say how relevant they are.
There are a multitude of causes for those codes no body will have a magic cure.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archid=8669679

I get 418 responses hard to say how relevant they are.
There are a multitude of causes for those codes no body will have a magic cure.
Thanks Norri- unfortunately, your link takes me to 0 results,

This is a screenshot of my results when I enter "P0171 P0174" in the XF forum:

Could it be a problem with my account?

Last edited by wardo5757; 03-01-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: P0171 & P0174 Both Banks Lean