XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Planning to buy first Jag XF, could use some tips.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to buy first Jag XF, could use some tips.

Hey guys,

So in summer im planning to order XF from Germany, since i live in Latvia, will get Jag with wheel at left side. I'm currently watching all videos and forums i can to get more info about XF pre-facelift and facelifted version.

Budget is up to 11 000 euros, since i will have to pay about 1000 euros for delivery + profiessional looking and checking car from A-Z.

1) What would be better, buy pre-facelift with mileage like 120k kilometers, or facelifted 2012 version with arround 190-200k kilometers?

2) Which diesel engine would be best and most reliable, cause i see it has pretty many engines. I'm looking at 2.2d or 3.0 V6 diesel, wanted to ask which one has least problems.

3) Which parts and problems should i suggest to look at when company will take a look at car before buying and bringing it to me?

4) and most important, just got married in april, and planning kid already, will i be able to put a baby carriage inside the trunk?

Thanks a lot for your help guys, i'm really looking forward to get Jag, since F10 and E-class are pretty problematic cars.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by JecisLV

1) What would be better, buy pre-facelift with mileage like 120k kilometers, or facelifted 2012 version with arround 190-200k kilometers?
Unless the styling is all that important to you, just concentrate on finding the lowest mileage in the best condition. There weren't any any major improvements or must-have new features with the facelift. Now a year after the facelift they started offering all-wheel drive, but facelift vs. pre-facelift is purely a styling change.

2) Which diesel engine would be best and most reliable, cause i see it has pretty many engines. I'm looking at 2.2d or 3.0 V6 diesel, wanted to ask which one has least problems.
Can't comment on diesel performance or reliability mine is the 5.0L gas.

3) Which parts and problems should i suggest to look at when company will take a look at car before buying and bringing it to me?
Inspect the dash pad carefully for any signs that the glue has deteriorated, like bubbles in the middle or lifting around the perimeter. Once the leather starts pulling away, its very expensive to replace or repair. Car needs to be kept out of the sun and use a windshield reflector during those brief times you have no choice but to park outdoors.

4) and most important, just got married in april, and planning kid already, will i be able to put a baby carriage inside the trunk?
Don't know about a baby carriage, but while the trunk is large, due to is modern, fastback styling, its a very narrow opening. Anything that's large and unwieldy has significant risk of scratching the bumper cover during loading and unloading. Obviously designed to sacrifice practicality for aesthetics. Maybe take a baby carriage with you on a test-drive/inspection. Another thing to consider is that you yourself may be extremely careful while loading and unloading the trunk, but will your wife be that cautious? You could consider applying paint protection film around the trunk opening.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
Unless the styling is all that important to you, just concentrate on finding the lowest mileage in the best condition. There weren't any any major improvements or must-have new features with the facelift. Now a year after the facelift they started offering all-wheel drive, but facelift vs. pre-facelift is purely a styling change.

Can't comment on diesel performance or reliability mine is the 5.0L gas.

Inspect the dash pad carefully for any signs that the glue has deteriorated, like bubbles in the middle or lifting around the perimeter. Once the leather starts pulling away, its very expensive to replace or repair. Car needs to be kept out of the sun and use a windshield reflector during those brief times you have no choice but to park outdoors.

Don't know about a baby carriage, but while the trunk is large, due to is modern, fastback styling, its a very narrow opening. Anything that's large and unwieldy has significant risk of scratching the bumper cover during loading and unloading. Obviously designed to sacrifice practicality for aesthetics. Maybe take a baby carriage with you on a test-drive/inspection. Another thing to consider is that you yourself may be extremely careful while loading and unloading the trunk, but will your wife be that cautious? You could consider applying paint protection film around the trunk opening.

So much information, really huge thanks for explaining most of my interests, will do more research on diesel engines and try to decide until July.

Was just wondering, after 100 000 kilometers should start appearing problems with car, but at 200 000 kilometers they are most likely already fixed, if i get reciepts and service book.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

So much information, really huge thanks for explaining most of my interests, will do more research on diesel engines and try to decide until July.

Was just wondering, after 100 000 kilometers should start appearing problems with car, but at 200 000 kilometers they are most likely already fixed, if i get reciepts and service book.
That sounds like a good theory, but it’s flawed. Every single part on a car has a mileage and time lifespan. The only way your theory works is if they do a full restoration of the car at 200km. But they won’t. No one would do that with an average daily driver. That’s only done to collectibles. So the older the car and more miles, the more things will just be aging out and you’ll be constantly fixing things on the car. You better be your own mechanic, or the costs will kill you.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Tip of the iceberg

The following users liked this post:
Lord_P (05-15-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Thanks all for suggestions, bought Jaguar XF 3.0tdi with 108k kilometers on spidometer.
For now i'm really statisfied, ofcourse have to get used to slow reaction of gearbox to 'kickdowns', but overall, after changing oil to Motul 5w30, all filters and Liquid Molly to oil, it runs really great.