Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Random TPMS tire low warnings when raining (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/random-tpms-tire-low-warnings-when-raining-94731/)

rickety 07-21-2014 06:34 AM

Those were my car's symptoms and were cured by the firmware update to the TPMS controller. I do not know the bulletin number.

cwood 07-21-2014 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rickety (Post 1019794)
Those were my car's symptoms and were cured by the firmware update to the TPMS controller. I do not know the bulletin number.

Which Ontario dealer did it? Do you have the work order for it? Did they charge you?

rickety 07-22-2014 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cwood (Post 1020027)
Which Ontario dealer did it? Do you have the work order for it? Did they charge you?

It was done by Jaguar Waterloo which has been owned for about a year by Grand Touring Autos (from the GTA).

I do not have a work order for it. I am not sure why.

They did not charge me. I had several reports of the problem with them before the car was 4 years old, and the odometer is still under 80k.

Are you having trouble with your dealership, or just like me, trying to be prepared for any pushback? For instance, I did not take my car in (even though the symptom would show up from time to time) when it was wearing the winter tyres and wheels to avoid a discussion about the source of the sensors therein. Once the story and the information about the technical bulletin came out in the Spring, and my summer wheels were back on, I went in the next time the symptom occurred.

Good luck.

kennyboy 08-03-2014 03:47 PM

To the OP or anyone else who has TPMS issues when raining. Check your carpet under the passenger seat, if it's damp, your sunroof is most likely leaking and causing water to pool on the floor where the modules sit. I have first hand experience with this.....

JackG 08-12-2014 02:47 PM

Tire Pressure

I've had the same problem for 8 months (2012 XF Base). I am pretty sure it is humidity based. Just occurred 30 minutes ago as storm clouds blew in. Happened on I-85 in Virginia 30 minutes before a humongous rain storm.
A friend with a 2011 XF Portfolio with the same problem was told by her NC dealer to increase pressure to 40 (yes 40) psi. She did and the problem went away. I am unwilling to do that although I have increased psi to 37.

My opinion: based on the number of folks with the problem, it's defective from the get-go, maybe even a design issue. Next stop for me is the dealer.

hen555 07-07-2015 06:25 PM

My TPMS reads check tire pressure on front right tire. This has happened after it rained and it has to be weather related. It is always the same tire and has only come on after it rained/during heavy rain storm.

Taking it to the dealer they dont see any tpms indication and read no fault codes. Is it a sensor issue or controller? I don't have any bouncing around indications, its just 1 tire...and rain is a factor.

jlwine 07-08-2015 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by hen555 (Post 1262499)
My TPMS reads check tire pressure on front right tire. This has happened after it rained and it has to be weather related. It is always the same tire and has only come on after it rained/during heavy rain storm.

Taking it to the dealer they dont see any tpms indication and read no fault codes. Is it a sensor issue or controller? I don't have any bouncing around indications, its just 1 tire...and rain is a factor.

I would try swapping the two front tires from side to side and see if the problem follows the tire or continues to indicate front right tire. This should isolate the issue.

hen555 07-08-2015 07:42 PM

I would try swapping the two front tires from side to side and see if the problem follows the tire or continues to indicate front right tire. This should isolate the issue.
Thanks for the tip, good idea. This tire always goes off on me and when I would check the pressure it was in line with spec at 36psi all around. I assumed it was a sensor or module issue because the first time the light came on was in the heavy rain. Then after having some nice dry climate it disappeared. During the times it was going ON and OFF... I took it to the dealer and they 're-set' all the pressures but they have never seen it with the light ON.

Again as mentioned it rained and the light went off recently. Just to reconfirm my pressures I checked it again and what do you know...the pressure of that tire lost close to 10psi. Yesterday I checked it at 27 PSI and today It was the same. That means there is some leak somewhere.

I just find it odd that the light would come on after it rained again...or my pressure loss was detected after it rained. My dealership mechanic is going to look at the tire in detail next week. If they do not find a leak in the tire, I will ask them to swap the front 2. Thanks.

jagular 07-09-2015 09:10 AM

A very common cause of TPMS equipped wheel leaks is the valve stem seal especially if the wheel has been serviced as for a puncture or similar.

Every time the valve stem is removed or even loosened a new seal should be installed.

Installation torque for these valve stems us very low, in inch pounds, and many service texts seem not to know this.

I've had three valve stems leak on my first XF. Later upgraded valve stems seem trouble free.