Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   So a Jaguar meets a Garage Door... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/so-jaguar-meets-garage-door-78133/)

Norri 08-04-2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by arlingtonman (Post 557375)
Yeah, because people really lay across the bottom of the garage door opening. My idea is if someone is stupid enough to lay there, they deserve getting crushed by the door. And if a parent is that negligent, their kid won't be around for long anyways.

It's obviously designed for your own safety, imagine you had tripped and fallen with your keys in your pocket.......need I go on? :icon_lol:

arlingtonman 08-04-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ttboonie (Post 557392)
Do you have the buttons on the mirror to program your garage door so that you wouldn't need to carry a fob on your key ring?

Yes, but I'm not sure if my garage door opener is programmable with it. I will have to ask the garage door guy Tuesday. Its home link, Isnt it?

arlingtonman 08-04-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 557397)
It's obviously designed for your own safety, imagine you had tripped and fallen with your keys in your pocket.......need I go on? :icon_lol:

Yeah, I know it's smart (got caught up in the heat of the moment if you couldn't tell...) but why they don't put a set up about 2 feet higher is beyond me...

jaguny 08-04-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by arlingtonman (Post 557477)
Yeah, I know it's smart (got caught up in the heat of the moment if you couldn't tell...) but why they don't put a set up about 2 feet higher is beyond me...

Our garage at work has a residential type door and the sensor is not that low. Stops the doors if you are under it.

Oh, we also have a green/red light signal as this is a common problem.

SeamlessAutomotive 08-05-2012 11:12 PM

I just opened a auto dismantling yard specializing in Jaguar & Porsche. Prior to that I owned a Mazda only yard that I opened in 1988. I've had countless vehicles repaired and helped way too many people find parts and consulted and advised about every sort of damage. It never ceases to amaze me what body repair shops will tell customers. From the photos you posted the damage seems very minor. In a worse case scenario the headliner would need to come out. To tell you the roof panel may need to be replaced is just ridiculous. Contact me if you need info or XF parts. I have 2 for parts.

SeamlessAutomotive 08-06-2012 02:06 AM

To explain. The headliner may need to come out during the repair, to get to the inner side of the roof panel. But that is a worse case scenario where the roof panel has damage that stretches the metal and requires hammer work to straighten it.

My main point is this. If you have a 'friend' that told you the roof panel may need to be replaced, you may want to re-evaluate your friendship.

As far as the garage door is concerned, move the motion sensors up a few inches. They are too low to the ground.

Also the XF is not aluminum except for the hood.

darlo 08-06-2012 07:39 AM

I can't look at the pics at work, but from the text in this thread, I am amazed that so much damage could be caused by a garage door. To hell with worrying about sensors etc. - I would be more concerned about replacing my 10 ton garage door and/or replacing the motor unit with one that has somewhat less horse power than my Jag. From the comments just above this, it sounds like you (and others who have advised you) have over reacted to the level of damage caused. I don't blame you for that - I would be very upset too, but it sounds like you are getting bad advice...

edobernig 08-06-2012 09:41 AM

Call your garage door guy

First the spring tension must be set properly to counter balance the weight of the door. The door weight is then about neutral moving up or down. Then there are two features to reverse garage door to prevent crushing cars, kids and small animals. On residential openers there is a clutch type setting adjustment that will reverse the door if it contacts and obstruction like your car. It can be tested usually by placing a 2X4 under the door and operating the closing cycle. The clutch is set to apply just enough downward force to close the door. When the closing door contacts the 2X4 it should instantly reverse and open. If not then it needs to be adjusted. The electric eye beam at about 5" is set up is to keep from crushing small children or pets in the doors path before it encounters them which is why they are set so low to the floor. As soon as the opener struck your roof it should have instantly automatically reversed.

Back to the thread. Using to Home-link opening system in the car would have eliminated the need to carry an opener on the key bob. It would seem that a competent body shop could fix this without replacing the roof. Good luck. I would avoid moving the electric eye or beam to bumper height, I would rather scratch the roof of my car than have the door crush a small child or a pet.

khsjsilver 08-06-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by arlingtonman (Post 557476)
Yes, but I'm not sure if my garage door opener is programmable with it. I will have to ask the garage door guy Tuesday. Its home link, Isnt it?

I have a 2012 XF Portfolio with the Homelink garage door opener. It was very difficult to program with a Genie Garage door opener with the Intellicode Rolling Code technology.

I tried programming a bunch of different time and finally working. Once programmed, I kept having my garage door open and close randomly. I would leave garage door closed and come out several hours later to find that my garage door was open. I couldn't figure out why it was happening. When I reset the Genie and erased all of the receivers memory, the problem stopped happening. I haven't retried to program the Homelink yet.

It wouldn't supprise me if the garage door closing on the car was due to this problem.

Executive 08-06-2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by edobernig (Post 558457)
First the spring tension must be set properly to counter balance the weight of the door. The door weight is then about neutral moving up or down. Then there are two features to reverse garage door to prevent crushing cars, kids and small animals. On residential openers there is a clutch type setting adjustment that will reverse the door if it contacts and obstruction like your car. It can be tested usually by placing a 2X4 under the door and operating the closing cycle. The clutch is set to apply just enough downward force to close the door. When the closing door contacts the 2X4 it should instantly reverse and open. If not then it needs to be adjusted. The electric eye beam at about 5" is set up is to keep from crushing small children or pets in the doors path before it encounters them which is why they are set so low to the floor. As soon as the opener struck your roof it should have instantly automatically reversed.

Back to the thread. Using to Home-link opening system in the car would have eliminated the need to carry an opener on the key bob. It would seem that a competent body shop could fix this without replacing the roof. Good luck. I would avoid moving the electric eye or beam to bumper height, I would rather scratch the roof of my car than have the door crush a small child or a pet.

^Exactly how my garage door operates. The sensor is only few inches of the floor. Has been working very well.
I have actually pulled the car in and out of the garage, with the door open half way. The rear bumper cover sets the sensor off and gets the door moving up.

arlingtonman 08-06-2012 09:19 PM

Back to the issue at hand, I now have three estimates, all across the board.

Body Shop #1 (BMW)
Repair roof panel, buffing out minor scratches and the one deep scratch that is dented will be filled and sanded, repainted. Repair and Install right and left roof molding, mask the sunroof, loosen the headline to repair and reinstall the antenna, plus misc. charges. Total with labor and tax = $825.

Body Shop #2 (Jaguar)
Repair and refinish roof panel, repair and reinstall glass panel, roof. Replace OEM Glass Panel with Strip ($74.50), repair, refinish and reinstall roof side moldings on both right and left, remove roof headliner, repair antenna, urethane kit ant. and refinish antenna and reinstall, other misc. charges. Total with labor and tax = $2250.

Body Shop #3 (Not dealer affiliated, my friend's)
Same as the others, but thinks that this small crack by the windshield will cause water to leak in under the headliner. Says it will need welded, but because the roof is so flat, it will probably warp the roof, and is 90% sure the roof will be ruined and I'll need a whole new roof. $1030 if new roof isn't needed, $3100 if new roof is needed.

I don't know what to do...get more estimates? Advice is needed!

arlingtonman 08-06-2012 09:23 PM

Also, for all 3, I am worried about them removing the headliner to repair the antenna because way back when, on a Ford Crown Victoria my family used to own, they had the headliner removed for service and a few years down the road, it really started to sag. The dealers say its coincidental, but I'm sure taking off the headliner would certainly make something like this more prone to happen, if nothing more. Therefore, was thinking about just getting a chrome antenna cover for $50 and saving the money and possible problems down the road by doing the other:

Jaguar XF XFR Luxury 08 09 10 CHROME ANTENNA Cover j8 | eBay

Thoughts? Will someone please be honest and tell me if that looks silly in chrome? I have a feeling it does...

Also, I did ask about dentless repair at the Jaguar Collision Center today, because their flyer had it advertised...the guy (who has has done jaguar collision repair for 40 years) laughed in my face and said "Don't you wish!"

Escolar 08-06-2012 09:36 PM

Filled and sanded? Please, don't. I'm telling you, the PDR guys can work miracles. Of course the body shops want a $1000 job. They got bills to pay. Maybe they'll just PDR it for $150 and charge you $850 because you'll never know. Don't take their word on it. As I said before, get an indepenent PDR guy or two to give you an evaluation. Many of them will guarantee your satisfaction or charge you nothing if you aren't satisfied.

jaguny 08-07-2012 05:09 AM

If you can find a good PDR person who will give you an evaluation and cost, it may not be that much of a cost to try it - you can always spend more money going one of the other routes. If I was going to claim it as an insurance claim, I would have Jag dealer do the work, particularily if this is your normal service dealer. I suggest getting the PDR evaluation and estimate so you can eliminate or try it, depending on the evaluation.

cwood 08-07-2012 07:48 AM

The PDR guys do amazing stuff. That said, they can't do magic. If there are big scratches it needs paint.

Example...this you can not see after repair. Paint was intact however. There was an associated scuff from the other leg of the table that landed on the hood. I live with that as a reminder of my stupidity.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-a...0305-00033.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j...0305-00035.jpg

arlingtonman 08-07-2012 04:16 PM

Took to two independent PDR guys and both said that since scratches were through to the paint, it needed to be taken to a body shop. :-(

I decided just to go with the BMW garage that is nearest to me for convenience. Their price was the best of all 3 quotes I got, and they're 2 minutes from my house, whereas the Jaguar dealer is an hour and a half. Plus, at 1/3 the price, it was a no-brainer considering they were doing the exact same work, and the BMW garage said they'd buff out where the keying was done for no charge. $825, hopefully, out the door.

Side note: I found it funny that the BMW dealer said "We don't normally do cars this nice..." as there were 2 7-series an an X6 sitting there for service as well. This comment took me back to that long-lost thread on how people associate Jags with being much more $$$ than they are...more in the line of Maseratis and even Bentleys.

I take it in Monday morning (of next week) and will pick it up Wednesday afternoon. Wish me luck!!