Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Stratus Grey vs Black? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/stratus-grey-vs-black-98832/)

TMack 07-15-2013 09:23 PM

Stratus Grey vs Black?

Sorry for a weak color question, but I'm trying to decide on a car without being able to see it in person. In the pictures, Stratus Grey looks like black, but obviously it must be a shade lighter. Have any of you seen one (or own one) in SG? If so, how does it look? Do you prefer it over black?

Executive 07-16-2013 08:19 AM

The stratus grey is a much lighter color...... jaguar xf stratus grey - Yahoo! Search Results

This is Ebony https://www.google.com/search?q=jagu...2F%3B640%3B426

bobby 07-16-2013 10:14 AM

I have a stratus XF. it is very dark, and a lot of people confuse it for black in person too. definitely not "much lighter."

The main difference I would say is that the stratus has a lot more "depth" to the color. it looks very rich in person, whereas I think the black is sort of boring.

Executive 07-16-2013 10:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This shows the difference between the two better...

Swimref 07-16-2013 11:32 AM

Actually, no it doesn't. Unless of course you have permanent sun glare (as in the picture shown) from all angles. Stratus grey is the darkest of three or four different grey shades and an additional three or four different silver shades used by Jaguar in the last few years. On overcast days it is frequently mistaken for black, and in the same light (bright or dark) it will never appear "much lighter" than black. Lunar Grey is the medium grey shade and even it appears pretty dark on cloudy days.

Executive 07-16-2013 12:21 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I am not saying, it's not the darkest of all the greys, but don't want to confuse anyone with Stratus Grey being black.

Lets try it again with both in the sun light....

bobby 07-17-2013 07:17 AM

yep, I'd say the last two photos in that group of 4 illustrate the difference very well. It's slight.

Holeecow 07-17-2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bobby (Post 773418)
I have a stratus XF. it is very dark, and a lot of people confuse it for black in person too. definitely not "much lighter."

The main difference I would say is that the stratus has a lot more "depth" to the color. it looks very rich in person, whereas I think the black is sort of boring.

True say.
Everyone that sees the color up close always describes it as brilliant.
Not black. Not grey. More like a really shiney gunmetal?

Black cars always look nice and executive. But too many black cars out there.
I got stratus because it just looks do damn rich. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it.
I would liken it to white. Vs pearl white. Pearl just looks that much nicer. IMO.

Executive 07-18-2013 09:08 AM

6 Attachment(s)
For some reason grey doesn't appeal to me as much, but i have to agree, both the XF and the XJ, look sharp in white. It's second favorite color on Jaguars in general. It shows of the silhouette and just looks very rich.

My '12 is Midnight Black, which changes from dark navy blue to dark black.

For comparison: from left to right - Ebony, Midnight Black, Stratus Grey

XFR4Nov 07-19-2013 09:54 AM

Just picked up my 13 XFR this Tuesday which is Stratus Grey. Had it parked beside a midnight black one at the dealership and I'm really glad I went with the Stratus. Almost black but has much more depth to the colour and actually looks slightly different depending on the light, I like the variety.

Executive 07-19-2013 02:11 PM

You can't say things like that and not post pictures...Congratulations!

philhef 07-22-2013 09:18 PM

The most stunning XF I've ever seen was in the showroom and was stratus gray with the full black pack. It took my breath away!! It's why I had my lunar gray chrome all glossed black. No regrets!!
If I can ever order my own, that's gonna be it!! With carbon fiber dash and black interior.
I'm salivating!!

wannajag 07-23-2013 12:02 AM

Would have gone Stratus but I'm a cheapskate and bought used...none available. It's the nicest colour for me and I'm sick of all the gray cars on the road!

The only other option I would go for if buying new is the Italian racing red....awesome.

rbobzilla 07-30-2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by wannajag (Post 777682)
Would have gone Stratus but I'm a cheapskate and bought used...none available. It's the nicest colour for me and I'm sick of all the gray cars on the road!

The only other option I would go for if buying new is the Italian racing red....awesome.

Meaning absolutely no disrespect to anyone on this thread, but I really don't understand the point of color questions. It's completely and totally subjective. If you like white, go for it. If you like red or silver or lunar, go for it. It's for you and who cares what anyone else thinks. Same with interior color. Now, if the question is whether Jag's black is more or less susceptible to swirling than others or if the interior tends to show dirt, that's another issue entirely. All the colors and combinations are great - for the person who likes them.

wannajag 07-31-2013 05:14 PM

TMack 08-01-2013 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by rbobzilla (Post 782968)
Meaning absolutely no disrespect to anyone on this thread, but I really don't understand the point of color questions. It's completely and totally subjective. If you like white, go for it. If you like red or silver or lunar, go for it. It's for you and who cares what anyone else thinks. Same with interior color. Now, if the question is whether Jag's black is more or less susceptible to swirling than others or if the interior tends to show dirt, that's another issue entirely. All the colors and combinations are great - for the person who likes them.

If you actually read the OP you see that I wasn't asking for others' opinions on their favorite color, I was asking whose seen the Stratus Gray in person because I have not and wanted to know how it compares to black. A pretty reasonable request, I think. And I do appreciate the constructive responses. -TMc

bobby 08-02-2013 06:05 AM

lol we've gone from arguing about the difference between Stratus Gray and Black to arguing about arguing about the difference between Stratus Gray and Black.

rbobzilla 08-02-2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TMack (Post 784491)
If you actually read the OP you see that I wasn't asking for others' opinions on their favorite color, I was asking whose seen the Stratus Gray in person because I have not and wanted to know how it compares to black. A pretty reasonable request, I think. And I do appreciate the constructive responses. -TMc

No reason to get your back up - and if you read my response, I never said anything about opinions about a favorite color. Rather, every color conversation on every thread on every manufacturer board results in basically the following: Oh, I like that color, No, you should consider different one. It's very light. No, it's dark. Shows dirt. No, it doesn't. Depends on the position of the sun and moon... And so on. Therefore, the discussion becomes circular, and most of the time doesn't result in anything...

MissKat 04-04-2016 01:33 PM

Stratus

Wow Guys,
I came on here to check the difference between the colors for my new R Cpe. Got more education on human psychology than shades of grey!

kwiksilver 04-05-2016 07:39 AM

OP, when I bought my 2012 used, I thought the car was black and that the dealer made a mistake when it was listed as gray. In the sunlight, the metallic really shows up and one can see that it is not really black, but when not in the direct sunlight, it is easily mistaken for black. I have grown to like it very much. I hope this helps in your decision.