XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

The Ultimate LED Q&A Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
i wish the pics in the initial post worked

what do you guys think of these bulbs: 10x White Ceramics T10 5 SMD 5050 Car LED W5W 194 168 2825 158 192 Light Bulb US | eBay
will they work in my interior?
Yep, they will work OK.
However I recommend you try T10 COB (Chip On Board) instead, for example see here: 10x T10 W5W LED COB White Car Light Fog Lamp Interior Canbus Error Free Bulb 12V | eBay
I have tried all sorts of T10 LEDs on many cars in many places (map lights, other interior lights, parker/side lights, number plate lights etc), including multi-chip SMT, Cree and COB, and IMHO COB is the best for colour, light intensity, ease of fitment, reliability and longevity.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

ordered. done. thanks!

LED blinkers will cause hyperflashing right? anyone have a resolution for this?

Old 09-12-2016, 03:37 AM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm. OK so I started to do LED replacement today on the front map/ courtesy lights.
Took a bit of levering with a wide plastic trim tool but that was OK.
Put three LEDs in and they all came on immediately.
(the console still hanging down).
Tried touching them to turn off, the left and centre one went off but the right one wouldn't respond.

I noticed the black plastic cover (which fits around the bulb sockets and clips over the circuit board) was out of place - must have displaced it levering the console out. So snapped that back into place.

The touch function is unresponsive.

I put the whole console back in place to test, making sure all the wiring looked in place.
Now I have no touch function. None of the lights come on except the centre one when the door is opened.
I really don't know how the touch function works or what to look for to fault find.

Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2016, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

Usually, when you stuff about with the interior globes, you have to reset the "auto on" function.
Press and hold the centre light panel/switch for around 3 seconds, until the lights flash twice. Now everything should be back to normal.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 AM

Unfortunately I did that and nothing. At one stage when I put the console back the right light wouldn't go out.
I tried the reset, the centre light flashed but the right one still wouldn't go out.

I pulled it and tweaked the bulbs again and now it's back in the touch function doesn't work at all.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:39 PM

Problem solved.

Another 20 mins in daylight I noticed the circuit board has location ramps on either side it's meant to sit on. It wasn't. Removed the black cover again and carefully relocated the circuit board, then clipped the black cover back in place.
Cleaned a fly out on the inside of the lens (heard this can throw the sensor too).

Plugged back in and all working as it should.

Phew.
Just be extra careful when you take the console out. Especially it it's the first time. With the amount of force needed, it's not hard to put something out of place.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have pictures of how to remove the front map lights? The pictures did not work on the original posts. Also there were two different answers given, some said to pry from windshield side, some from sunroof. I'm scared to damage the alcantara headliner but really want to change the lights. Same goes for the rear. Great thread by the way!

Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

looks like sunroof side.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, it's the sunroof side.
If you look very closely, maybe with a torch, you will see two small slots or gaps on the edges of the console where it tucks into the roof lining, from memory about 6 mm long and .5 mm wide. That is where you lever/pry. Once you get the back edge down about 1 or 2 cm you can just get you fingers in there and pull the whole console down. Four rather tight metal clips, you have to pull down with a fair bit of force.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone changed this bulb out? Is it a 194?

Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IppoJ
Has anyone changed this bulb out? Is it a 194?
Headlight must come out I think. Its quite easy task to do theres instructions on Youtube.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, done it so many times on both of my XFs I lost count!
And yes the headlight assembly needs to come out of the car, not that hard, two 10 mm bolts on top and one in the wheel well, then a fair bit of wiggling to clear the bumper/grille, unplug the big round power connector and (if you have HID lights with headlight washers) disconnect the washer hose.
The "trick" with those lights (we in Oz call them "parking lights" or "parkers", those in Blighty call them "side lights", I have no idea what they are called in North America!) is to get skinny ones, no more than 11 mm in diameter, as the mounting holes they fit in are fairly tight and most T10 wedge LED globes are 12 mm in diameter and simply will not fit, well at least not without trying to force them in which usually breaks them.
Even 11 mm wide ones are a tightish fit.
Also, the access from the back of the light is a little tricky as the mounting hole is not directly behind the access hole but a bit offset, so you can't go "straight" in and you have to go at a bit of an angle to start with. The globe sits in a longish holder which you pull out, swap globes then re-insert, and you need to re-insert it as straight as you can. There is not a lot of room to move and I found the easiest way to do this is to use a small to medium pair of angled needle nosed pliers. Or else find a helper with long and skinny fingers!
I also lost count of how many of those globes conked out and had to be replaced, and it didn't matter whether I used multi-chip SMD, Cree or Chip On Board (COB), they all eventually conked. Some within a few days, others after a few weeks or months. Sometimes they came out easy, other times they fell apart (or had already fallen apart), and often those parts were damn near impossible to get out. I had to hold the light assembly above my head and gently shake it until the part(s) lodged in the mounting hole, and then hope and pray that with some tapping they/it would fall straight out. Sometimes they fell out, sometimes they didn't and remained in the light cluster for the life of the car!

The following users liked this post:
IppoJ (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 05:28 AM
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

What he said.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
...yes the headlight assembly needs to come out of the car, not that hard, two 10 mm bolts on top and one in the wheel well, then a fair bit of wiggling to clear the bumper/grille, unplug the big round power connector and (if you have HID lights with headlight washers) disconnect the washer hose....
Excellent, thank you. Is there a bulb you've found that works best? I have a couple Osrams that I was going to try.

On a vaguely unrelated note, the headlight assys on a Range Rover are stupendously easy to remove. They literally have a lever to pull, and then the whole thing easily pulls out.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IppoJ
Excellent, thank you. Is there a bulb you've found that works best? I have a couple Osrams that I was going to try.

On a vaguely unrelated note, the headlight assys on a Range Rover are stupendously easy to remove. They literally have a lever to pull, and then the whole thing easily pulls out.
No, I never did find one that fitted, looked good (bright white or blue/white light) and lasted more than a couple of months, which is why I ended up fitting DRLs to both of my XFs. I used the "parkers" as DRLs and this constant daytime use may have been the main reason they kept conking out.
I recall reading or seeing somewhere that you can now get ordinary halogen T10 wedge globes that are a nice bright white (as opposed to the stock dull and sickly yellow), if so they would be a much better bet than LEDs.

IppoJ (08-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I've replaced my XF 2010's interior(glovebox excluded), high beams and reverse thanks to your information, it helped a lot. I'll replace mirror lights soon. I want to to replace all headlights with LED ones but I don't know what are those called. Any idea? I guess blue arrow is parking light but what's other one called and which type LED should I buy?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Old 09-28-2019, 01:14 AM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

The red is a turn/cornering light, comes on only when you corner, the bulb is a halogen H4
The blue is side/parking light & is a 501 capless bulb 5w

denemekullanici (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
The red is a turn/cornering light, comes on only when you corner, the bulb is a halogen H4
The blue is side/parking light & is a 501 capless bulb 5w
Does it change with models, years or facelift ones? Because I've search a little and someone said it's H8, some H7 and you're saying H4. I'm going to buy them from China and have to wait 1-2 months so I have to be sure.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:26 PM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

I did some checking I think H8 is the correct bulb.

denemekullanici (09-29-2019)

Quick Reply: The Ultimate LED Q&A Thread