Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Velocityap stage I tune first impressions (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/velocityap-stage-i-tune-first-impressions-215063/)

Jssaab 03-15-2019 11:17 AM

Velocityap stage I tune first impressions

Loaded up my VAP tune after some back and forth with Christopher the tuner there. He seems quite knowledgeable and I want to thank everyone who worked with them earlier to get these tunes locked down.. He also helped me sort out an issue I had loading the program on my computer. He sent the files i needed right away and after a miss loading them on my part all was good. The tuner and program are easy to use and very nice set up actually.

A few observations:

Instructions are good and recommends a battery tender to keep voltage constant while loading the tune ( and downloading the stock tune) I was too impatient (although a perfectly adequate one is available form Walmart) I made sure not to touch any switches or open the door or anything electrical ( heard some horror stories from other tuners and cars about this.

Loaded the tune and it works wonderfully.

It has a CEL It did as well when I downloaded the stock file to send in, but it went way after teh apporpriate number of start stop cycles. I expect this to as well, standard stuff when adding a tune.

It is way more responsive down low, seems boost comes on earlier. Great for the way I normally drive

A few observations:

I loaded a "pops and burble" tune that is supposed to make sounds similar to the F-type. With my stock exhaust I heard no difference (from inside the cabin with windows open or closed) but will be fitting an after market exhaust soon. If I had a mic on the outside I may be reporting differently. I will have someone record from the outside to see if its noticeable.
Christopher said that this tune does not effect performance I'll just keep that one loaded.

When providing the "pops" tune I was told with this tune there is a surge around 3000 and Christopher gave me the other tune without that feature so I could compare since I was not sure what that would be like and in case it annoyed me.

I see (RPMS) and feel (butt dyno) the "surge" I think . It occurs same different points throughout the RPM range of 2000-3000 depending on how I accelerate. Seems not there at normal acceleration. Not an issue though. its like a kick in the pants so can be enjoyable on short acceleration onto the highway.

It seems there may be Transmission shift ranges changed in the D (drive selection) It may just be in response to the new engine dynamics. Its fine but I was wondering if it was changed at all (and if S is changed as well. I asked Christopher and post his answers.

I am going to check the forum rules about posting "car challenges" since literally on my tune's test run a C43 AMG biturbo came up to my right and stopped there at the light with me. with intentions to merge before the road went to one lane and he had a turn.Perfect way to test the car and I was happy how it turned out. He did not have enough room to make his pass. Not sure how it would have gone with more room, he may not have dealt with the turbo lag.. Silly boy.

Not as fun as it would have been in my 3100 lb 15 year old SAAB with 385 WTQ but satisfying nonetheless. His face when I looked in the rear view was priceless, I could see him think "if I only had another 1000. I wish I did as well...feet. But I am sure he was surprised.

I intend to be an active poster here.

As a Saab enthusiast I am perfectly accustomed to owning a brand I'd like to modify that has limited aftermarket support.

Upon lurking here I saw 2 main themes running across many of the posts. I will start another thread on that.

Cheers and enjoy the ride.

OzXFR 03-15-2019 07:16 PM

If you like the stage 1 tune you should consider the stage 2 tune - larger crank pulley & associated tune.
That's what I did on the F-Type - stage 1 tune for a few months then stage 2.
My understanding is that if you buy the pulley VAP will send you the tune free of charge seeing as you already have the hand-held device.
Takes it from 400 HP to 450 HP and you can really feel the difference, to me it was a bigger difference than the stage 1 tune over stock (375 HP to 410 HP on the F-Type).
As an added bonus the stage 2 tune gives you some nice supercharger whine.

Jssaab 03-16-2019 08:33 AM

Hi thanks for your comment.

Yes I will be getting the new pulley soon and they said I will be able to get a new tune free i I get theirs.

I just took a long trip and will swap the pop and burble tune for the straight tune. I definitely felt the surges more than I expected.

Any time after 1500-2000 rpm trying to keep constant speed either with cruise control or by foot I could feel (and see on the tach a 100 RPM blip)

Feels like a throttle body issue ( a symptom of a bad TB on Saabs with electric throttle control- I assume all new cars have that ( saab did since 99)

It annoys me..

Cherry_560sel 03-17-2019 03:03 AM

Enjoy the new feel of your car. definitely worth every penny. Cant say enough good things about that outfit.