Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Video of how a filter housing leak looks. Very explosive! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/video-how-filter-housing-leak-looks-very-explosive-205404/)

lotusespritse 07-23-2018 07:52 AM

Video of how a filter housing leak looks. Explosive footage!

I cleaned off the top of the filter housing so I could clearly see the leak. Here's video of the leak in action after turning off the car and the pressure built up in the system. It wasn't leaking while the car was running - just during start up, and after running.

That's a nice fine mist just looking for a spark. And the leak continued for a while, so if it ignited, the fire would have been kept fed until the car burned all the way down.

Don't smoke while doing this test.

carzaddict 07-23-2018 08:37 AM

holy cow thats scary.

lotusespritse 07-23-2018 08:45 AM

I need the car since my fun cars don't make great daily drivers, especially in 101degF weather, so I will have to pay the ransom at the dealer which is almost double ($252 vs $138) the normal MSRP for the replacement part. I'll go ahead and mail order another one for my other XF at the discount of $114, so I don't get caught out on that car that is the same age.

Like a lot of the plastic in this car, this really needs to be a maintenance item. It's a filter as well, so makes sense to replace before it becomes a fire hazard.

carzaddict 07-23-2018 09:14 PM

what was it that caused you to investigate into this leak? fuel smell?

Kenika65 07-23-2018 09:59 PM

Should be a Recall repair....

lotusespritse 07-23-2018 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict (Post 1934656)
what was it that caused you to investigate into this leak? fuel smell?

Yes. It smelled in the car at times, and also around the right passenger door area.

lotusespritse 07-23-2018 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kenika65 (Post 1934673)
Should be a Recall repair....

There was a recall on older XF's and newer ones if they had the old parts put in during repairs. Mine were not part of the recall.

Mine is done on the grey XF. Took about an hour to replace it, so it's not a difficult job. No more leaks for another 8 years.

I only wish I didn't need the car so I could have avoided paying the ridiculous markup OVER msrp that the local dealer charges. I'll proactively replace the same plastic part in my white XF when the much less expensive mail order part arrives next week.

TXFireblade 07-24-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 1934693)
Mine is done on the grey XF. Took about an hour to replace it, so it's not a difficult job.

Thanks for the heads up. What was the part number of the item you replaced and what was involved in swapping out the part?

lotusespritse 07-25-2018 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade (Post 1934911)
Thanks for the heads up. What was the part number of the item you replaced and what was involved in swapping out the part?

jaghelp.com: Fuel smell and weak start on your XF

you can look up your part number for your car on parts.com

Jhartz 08-07-2023 11:14 AM

Down the street there are probably ten good garages that will be perfectly happy to change your fuel filter for very little dinero . . . .

clubairth1 08-07-2023 11:24 AM

Just a note? The link above is long dead and worthless as usual with anything old on the internet!
The video is also long gone. A fairly useless thread at this point in time.