XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Pump Failure

So I dropped my car off this week to have some things looked at, including the recall for the fuel line issue. Turns out I need a new drive belt and water pump. The tech said the water pump is a common issue (a search here turned up a few threads) and he belived the pump caused the belt to start to fail.

Either way, since this water pump is a known issue, is the new pump a better design than the original?

Thanks guys

2010 XF Supercharged 26k miles

Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just had my 2010 XF in for a new dash, leather pulled loose, and they replaced my water pump also. I'd be interested in other responses as well.

Last edited by sorapp; 02-08-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

That's far too low a mileage for this type of failure. The drive belt will be a serpentine belt which also is a high mileage part. Defective water pump seems likely. Can't be a design fault as water pumps are pretty simple. I assume no leaks were evident.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never saw a leak personally, but the tech who noticed the belt starting to fail said he saw evidence of leaking coolant coming from the water pump and believed the faulty pump is what caused the belt to start coming apart. It just seems odd that the pump would be going bad with so few miles.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Water pumps usually last for a decade and 100,000 miles so, yes, defective pump in my view. Jaguar uses long life coolant so there can be no problem with worn out anti corrosion additives.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I was wondering about this as I have seen it on the rovers. 5.0L engines only. There is a TSB that clearly states to only replace if leaking and/or noise. I do think that they are of the same design. Time will tell.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

I had a similar issue 2 weeks ago - also a 2010 XF SC with about 25k miles. Got strong vibrations when steering, and noticed power steering coolant was low. Took it in and they noticed evidence of leaky coolant near the power steering pump and replaced it (on warranty). See my thread a for more details. I was pretty surprised it failed that quickly - so does sound like there may be a weakness to it.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Just re-read the thread and maybe you were talking about the coolant pump - not the power steering one?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
I was wondering about this as I have seen it on the rovers. 5.0L engines only. There is a TSB that clearly states to only replace if leaking and/or noise. I do think that they are of the same design. Time will tell.
Yep, same Ford engine factory in U.K.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

We have a 2009 XF Premium Luxury with the NA engine with 50,000 miles on it. Starting about two weeks ago, the low engine coolant warning light would come on briefly when first starting the engine. The light would go off after driving less than a mile or so. I checked the coolant with the engine cold a few times and it always needed a little fluid. I could not find any puddles on the garage floor. My wife had 'jeeves' looked at yesterday at the Jag dealer and they had to replace the water pump and it needed something else but my wife's translation did not provide enough clues for me to determine what it is - after reading the posts above, it may be the belt that also needs replaced. They were pressed for time and could not do everything yesterday and said the second part of the job could wait a little. I also thought 50,000 was a little soon for a water pump to go.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The water pump on my old XFR was replaced when the coolant tank failed and coated my engine bay in fluid. I was told then it was common for them to fail. Not sure it was anything to do with the issue I had...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys

I briefly read through the thread and beleive my car has the same problem

I have a Jaguar XFR 2010

about a month ago the water pump / coolant tank failed causing the car to over heat and smoke come out of engine. The car was taken to dealer and repaired within a week

A week after getting the car back - the same problem happened again .. Once again the car was in the dealership and had the problem fixed or I assumed it had been fixed for the second time.

NOW - YESTERDAY after having the car back for only about 4 days the same issue happened again - the car is back at the dealer and I must say I am beyond disappointed - quite frankly I am a bit pissed off ...

I Know that the coolant has been mixed with the engine oil 3 times now due to the 3 times this issue arose within the past MONTH!

I am at the point where I do not want just a simple fix only to have it fail again within a few days - I know that the aluminium in the engine must have flaws now from over heating again and again - the coolant mixed with the engine oil must have damaged the bearings in god knows what else

What do you guys suggest I do

At this point I am on the verge of contacting lawyers and having a law suit action claim brought against the dealership and the technician as well as the service manager.

I would greatly appreciate feedback before I take any other steps

Thank you

Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Why would you think coolant would get into the oil? That should never happen unless the head gasket failed due to overheating. It sounds like the coolant leaked out of the system and the engine bay was smoking (dripped onto a hot engine part). The heat cycling isn't going to be good but it really depends on how hot it got. Does the car let you drive it when it gets hot or does it pop a light and tell you to shut the car down?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I would try and talk to Jaguar corperate here in the US..this is beyond normal and usual..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Why would you think coolant would get into the oil? That should never happen unless the head gasket failed due to overheating. It sounds like the coolant leaked out of the system and the engine bay was smoking (dripped onto a hot engine part). The heat cycling isn't going to be good but it really depends on how hot it got. Does the car let you drive it when it gets hot or does it pop a light and tell you to shut the car down?
I assumed the coolant had mixed with the oil due to the work order saying the engine was flushed due to engine oil and coolant mixing .... apparently an 0 ring of some sort failed at the same time and they had to flush the engine 3 times as stated on the work order to get the coolant out of the engine ..
I am just going based on what was stated on the work order

Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
I would try and talk to Jaguar corperate here in the US..this is beyond normal and usual..
Your right

I am going to be contacting Jaguar Canada head office first and if that fails I will contact Jaguar Corporate ... Which division would be best to speak with customer relations ?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

5.0 litre water pumps failure is common and the new pumps are more robust, bearings and additional seals. Gotta love cheapest bidders for parts and bean counters

Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRG2
I assumed the coolant had mixed with the oil due to the work order saying the engine was flushed due to engine oil and coolant mixing .... apparently an 0 ring of some sort failed at the same time and they had to flush the engine 3 times as stated on the work order to get the coolant out of the engine ..
I am just going based on what was stated on the work order
You might want to verify that statement with the techs. Ask if there was actually coolant in the oil. If so I'd be very worried. They may have worded it wrong and flushed the oil because the engine overheated, which is a good idea.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
5.0 litre water pumps failure is common and the new pumps are more robust, bearings and additional seals. Gotta love cheapest bidders for parts and bean counters
From this thread, most reports of failure appears to be on 2009 and 2010 models. Was there a running change to the better water pumps for the newer model years? I have two 5.0 cars, an XJL and an XF. Both are 2012s.

Thanks,

Albert

Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

More robust pumps have been fitted from the factory starting with the following VINs

XJ - V26805, XK - B46456, XF - S30102

This does not mean go to your dealer and ask them to change the pump. If your pump is not leaking, don't worry about it. These are strictly safe VINs for the newer pump style. Very similar to the AJ26/27, and so on, pumps in that more robust ones came out later in the engine's life.

The following 4 users liked this post by BlackX300VDP:
axr6 (05-02-2013), DPK (05-02-2013), hlgeorge (05-02-2013), wannajag (05-27-2013)

Quick Reply: Water Pump Failure