Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Water Pump Replacement Questions (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/water-pump-replacement-questions-215755/)

tpoirier 03-30-2019 01:45 PM

Water Pump Replacement Questions

Hi all,

New member here found you all while searching for help with water pump on my 2012 XF Porfolio 5.0 n/a/. I have some questions regarding the repair and it seems finding info for these cars is like pulling teeth. Questions are as follows... water pump bolts torque spec have seen everything from 12-25 nm, also replacing infamous tube behind and o rings and wondering whats the recommended lube? Have heard sil glide, Vaseline and soaking them in coolant itself. Lastly need to know proper coolant refill procedure and how to get/keep air out have also heard that is an issue for diyers and can damage the engine. I appreciate any help you all can provide and thanks.

TXFireblade 03-30-2019 05:37 PM

I have the supercharged version but I think they are the same as far as the water pump goes. My manual say bolt torque is 11Nm for the supercharged. For seal lubricant I used the jaguar specified coolant as I found it to be quite slippery and everything went together very easily. For refill the manual says to use the vacuum method which I did. Basically you suck all the air out of the system and then use the vacuum to draw coolant back in. I bought a pressure testing/vacuum filling kit on Amazon for about $80. It's been invaluable to checking the system integrity for leaks and it includes a vacuum bleeder which works great provided you have a compressor.

tpoirier 03-30-2019 05:59 PM

Is there any other way to refill? Been a while for me and having to do my own work on cars so limited to no compressor or pump. Was hoping you could run it with cap off then close it up once hot and renting a pressure tester from the local auto shop.

TXFireblade 03-30-2019 06:10 PM

I've also just filled the system and then let it bleed itself after a few runs. On the supercharged cars there is a bleed screw on the left of the engine (as you look under the hood). You can loosen that until coolant comes out the system. You'll also need to set the heater to max and if you're not getting any heat within a few minutes after starting then I'd shut off as you've probably got a pretty big air pocket. I also found raising the front of the car helps with reducing the coolant loss.

tpoirier 03-30-2019 06:28 PM

When you say bleed itself do you mean run it with cap off for a bit or something else? Sorry just getting up to speed with these new pressurized systems.

TXFireblade 03-30-2019 07:09 PM

I filled the reservoir to the full mark, then I opened the bleed screw until coolant came out, then closed the screw. Then I refitted the cap as normal, started the car, set the heater to max heat and drove the car. After each short trip I check the coolant level and added more as required until it stopped dropping.

tpoirier 03-30-2019 07:23 PM

Ah gotcha just need to locate bleed screw then. I really appreciate all the help!!!