Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/water-pumps-crossover-failures-5-0-engines-143771/)

harryf 11-22-2019 09:00 AM

Thanks for your input. They are trusted mechanics, who I've used for years on my S-Type and the XF. I hope they didn't drop something in intake. They will have it next week for a while to check out.

harryf 11-22-2019 09:02 AM

75K miles.. Jaguar XF 2012 5.0 Portfolio.

Bri's Jag 11-22-2019 09:15 AM

They probably are trusted but accidents can happen no matter who they are so just be aware. What were talking is probably a worst case scenario but you shouldn't be hearing any noises from the engine by simply replacing surrounding cooling parts and components. If it is a worst case scenario they might try and wiggle out of it by making excuses so just be on guard and maybe take it somewhere else to get an outside opinion.. Do stay in touch and let us know what happens good luck.

lotusespritse 11-22-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag (Post 2157717)
lotusespritse I have the big plastic top cover off but does your 5.0 look exactly like this? Mine is non SC thank god. I'm hoping if i take that manifold off, 10 bolts, and a few other little things I can change that rear outlet pipe. Do you also know if there is just 1 piece back there that needs to be replaced or multiple pieces also..Thank u.

Yeah, it looks pretty much like that. You can look at my photo album that I posted in my thread about doing the full plastic replacement to compare for yourself.

It's just a 1 piece pipe in the rear. Again, it is shown in my thread on the topic. It's easier said than done to get that pipe off and on.

Bri's Jag 11-22-2019 09:44 AM

Yes I just now noticed your thread and pictures up top sometimes I don't navigate the way I should on here. So the picture you have of the 2 pipes one is front and back and with the manifold removed both should be replaced correct??. One other thing, If I jacked up the car and from below took off that huge under carriage plastic cover (like when you are changing oil), can you reach that pipe from underneath to possibly help get it out with tools near the top of the transmission housing?.. I just don't have a choice I have to try and do this myself, not taking it to dealership...:icon_violin:

lotusespritse 11-22-2019 12:40 PM

All access is from the top. No way to reach from underneath the car to the top of the engine.

Bri's Jag 11-23-2019 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 2157810)
All access is from the top. No way to reach from underneath the car to the top of the engine.

The only problem is I do have a small coolant leak coming from somewhere i can smell it and level is dropping slightly, it's not coming from the front of the engine as far as i can tell so it's hard to tell if the back pipe is actually leaking which I hear is the likely culprit. I tried to get a small mirror back there behind the manifold with a flashlight from the top there's no room to see won't go down that far it's a tight squeeze., Might have to look from underneath car to maybe see up there, just have to take underneath carriage cover off to see up there hopefully that works...

lotusespritse 11-23-2019 07:14 AM

Get a coolant system pressure tester before you do the checking. You can buy one or rent one free at the parts store. No point checking for leaks without one.

Search youtube vids to see how to use one.

Bri's Jag 11-23-2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 2158092)
Get a coolant system pressure tester before you do the checking. You can buy one or rent one free at the parts store. No point checking for leaks without one.

Search youtube vids to see how to use one.

True that would work for the front of the motor basically where I can see but even then I still wouldn't be able to see back there behind the manifold down deep where that pipe is, I might have to get a visual on it right after I drive it and get underneath to look up see if it's dripping..

lotusespritse 11-23-2019 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag (Post 2158099)
True that would work for the front of the motor basically where I can see but even then I still wouldn't be able to see back there behind the manifold down deep where that pipe is, I might have to get a visual on it right after I drive it and get underneath to look up see if it's dripping..

Do what you want but you’re wrong. The pressure tester is what you need to get it to drip. You aren’t understanding why the pressure tester is important. Do your homework before deciding whether or not I am a complete idiot that is giving you bad information.

Bri's Jag 11-23-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 2158133)
Do what you want but you’re wrong. The pressure tester is what you need to get it to drip. You aren’t understanding why the pressure tester is important. Do your homework before deciding whether or not I am a complete idiot that is giving you bad information.

Hey partner dial it back a little bit I'm not calling you an idiot at all nor am I implying that doing a pressure test is the wrong thing to do, I totally understand what a pressure test is and that's how you detect leaks I'm just saying because of the precarious place where its at in the back of the engine even if it leaks you cant see it, you have to take that big bottom shroud cover off like if you're changing the oil so you can see it drip hopefully on the floor otherwise if it does drip it falls into that pan and not on the ground and you can't see it anyway....!!.. My whole point is you can't see anything back there....

xfportfolio 04-04-2020 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag (Post 2158088)
The only problem is I do have a small coolant leak coming from somewhere i can smell it and level is dropping slightly, it's not coming from the front of the engine as far as i can tell so it's hard to tell if the back pipe is actually leaking which I hear is the likely culprit. I tried to get a small mirror back there behind the manifold with a flashlight from the top there's no room to see won't go down that far it's a tight squeeze., Might have to look from underneath car to maybe see up there, just have to take underneath carriage cover off to see up there hopefully that works...

Hi Bri's Jag, I have exactly the same problem as you. I have performed a pressure test and found no leaks at the front of the engine. Did you manage to find the leak at the rear of the engine?

Bri's Jag 04-04-2020 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by xfportfolio (Post 2213495)
Hi Bri's Jag, I have exactly the same problem as you. I have performed a pressure test and found no leaks at the front of the engine. Did you manage to find the leak at the rear of the engine?

it's funny I had a small leak at the very top front of the engine near the oil filter, easy fix $1 dollar Oring fix now I have another little slow leaker somewhere. I'm going to take the top engine cover off and that big bottom engine cover out also and do some checking here in the next couple of weeks to see if I can find it. If you find out anything on your end as to your fix let me know and if I find out anything I will let you know... From what I hear at the very back of the engine there is a pipe that it could be where the manifold has to be taken off I really hope that's not it. sigh***

xfportfolio 04-05-2020 05:05 AM

Ok, I will let you know if I find out anything. I will try to get a boroscope to inspect the rear crossover pipe but it will be in may or june because now life is not easy here in Spain.

Bri's Jag 04-05-2020 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by xfportfolio (Post 2213603)
Ok, I will let you know if I find out anything. I will try to get a boroscope to inspect the rear crossover pipe but it will be in may or june because now life is not easy here in Spain.

I hear ya,,, its tough everywhere especially here in The U.S to.. :icon_errrr:

xfportfolio 04-11-2020 03:43 PM

Well,I took out the intake tube and found a shiny zone on the left side of the water pump, shiny mud. No drips at all, I think that the water pump´s gasket is the culprit.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1a85630d6e.jpg

Bri's Jag 04-13-2020 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by xfportfolio (Post 2216952)
Well,I took out the intake tube and found a shiny zone on the left side of the water pump, shiny mud. No drips at all, I think that the water pump´s gasket is the culprit.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1a85630d6e.jpg

Wow good to know. Sometimes tightening the water pump bolts might help. Obviously the orange coolant helps find stubborn leaks. Hope you were able to fix it

davetibbs 04-13-2020 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag (Post 2217969)
Wow good to know. Sometimes tightening the water pump bolts might help. Obviously the orange coolant helps find stubborn leaks. Hope you were able to fix it

Careful not to over-tighten them though, they're small, fine pitch bolts going into an aluminum block, and drilling out/helicoiling those particular holes is not fun. Don't ask how I know.

Bri's Jag 04-13-2020 10:24 PM

Exactly!!