XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

What car warranty you have older XF owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What car warranty you have older XF owners?

My car 2012 XF 5.0 SC 94k been a blast to drive but I'm scared something just might happen. I paid for maintenance while lucky for me, 26k+ mile and AC compresser, control arm and schedule engine/supercharger maintenance. Not bad, maybe $1400ish dollars spent in a year. For the 2012 and older... What kind of coverages/service contract you have and pricing. Or should I stick to paying up front. I haven't been to a dealer to check out anything... Do need to go for a airbag recall...

The following users liked this post:
ItChief67 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

The first Jag we owned, a 2001 XJ-8, we kept for 8 years. After the initial warranty was about to expire, I purchased an extended coverage warranty from Jaguar. I seem to recall that it was for another 3 years. As it turned out, I never used it.

We traded in the XJ-8 for our 2009 XF. For whatever reason, I didn't purchase the extended warranty, and "knock on wood", we haven't had any MAJOR failures with this car (did have to replace the transmission cooler lines, last year), although it doesn't have a lot of miles. It's currently at 39,000 miles, and since it's now 10 years old, I doubt that Jaguar would sell a warranty for it, and I don't have much faith in the frequently advertised, "aftermarket" warranties.

Therefore, I'm just riding it out, and keeping up with the routine maintenance.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I don't have much faith in the frequently advertised, "aftermarket" warranties.

Therefore, I'm just riding it out, and keeping up with the routine maintenance.

My main reason I'm sitting on the fence. Trying to see if anybody using aftermarket warranty. Successfully.

ItChief67 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default extendend warranty

when i purchased my 2012 xf v8, i had researched alot problems with jaguars but i guess they were mostly due to when ford took over.
well either way i decided to purchase the full extended wsrranty from jaguar themselves which added maybe like 60 dollars to my monthly bill.

covers everything front to back and if i have to do it at a non jag dealer i only get charged $100 for anything or i can have it towed free and have the jag dealer fix anything for free

ItChief67 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Showtime Jesse
My main reason I'm sitting on the fence. Trying to see if anybody using aftermarket warranty. Successfully.
I have never heard of aftermarket warranty success stories, only horror ones. If Jaguar will sell you a warranty I'd go with that.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by elrich75
when i purchased my 2012 xf v8, i had researched alot problems with jaguars but i guess they were mostly due to when ford took over.
well either way i decided to purchase the full extended wsrranty from jaguar themselves which added maybe like 60 dollars to my monthly bill.

covers everything front to back and if i have to do it at a non jag dealer i only get charged $100 for anything or i can have it towed free and have the jag dealer fix anything for free
I think you're a little off, on your Jaguar history. Prior to Ford taking over Jaguar, Jaguars were notorious for electrical issues. In fact, one of Jaguar's early electrical "engineers", whose name escapes me at the moment, was nicknamed "the Prince of darkness", due to the unreliability of his electrical designs. Ford actually began to "Americanize" the Jaguar's electrical systems, which helped their reliability quite a bit. Ford then sold their interest in Jaguar around the 2010-2100 timeframe, to Indian industrial corporation, Tata Motors.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:27 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>early electrical "engineers", whose name escapes me at the moment, was nicknamed "the Prince of darkness"

That would be Lucas, as in Lucas electronics, kinda the Delco of British cars. All British cars used Lucas parts so all British cars had electrical problems forever...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)

Old 05-13-2019, 09:44 AM

I had a mid 70's MG B that was also made under British Leyland ownership and I never had any electrical problems. Granted that is simpler car than Jaguars of the era but just thought I should mention it.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab
>early electrical "engineers", whose name escapes me at the moment, was nicknamed "the Prince of darkness"

That would be Lucas, as in Lucas electronics, kinda the Delco of British cars. All British cars used Lucas parts so all British cars had electrical problems forever...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)

I remembered his surname was Lucas, but the only Lucas that came to my mind, at the time, was George Lucas, of Star Wars fame. To my experience, the Delco electronics that "powered" GM cars for decades, was pretty decent stuff. Being located in Detroit Michigan, gave US automakers an advantage, of sorts, in that Detroit's hot, muggy summers, and cold, harsh winters, were a good testing place to develop cars, and their related systems, that could successfully deal with both extremes.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I remembered his surname was Lucas, but the only Lucas that came to my mind, at the time, was George Lucas, of Star Wars fame. To my experience, the Delco electronics that "powered" GM cars for decades, was pretty decent stuff. Being located in Detroit Michigan, gave US automakers an advantage, of sorts, in that Detroit's hot, muggy summers, and cold, harsh winters, were a good testing place to develop cars, and their related systems, that could successfully deal with both extremes.
GM products had all sorts of odd electrical problems throughout the 80's and 90's. They still do.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
I had a mid 70's MG B that was also made under British Leyland ownership and I never had any electrical problems. Granted that is simpler car than Jaguars of the era but just thought I should mention it.
I remember the Wheeler Dealers episode that was a US car that they were fixing up in the UK, and Edd commenting that being a US car, all US cars have "dodgy electronics."

That was quite a surprise to hear that the UK thinks our electronics are bad.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I remember the Wheeler Dealers episode that was a US car that they were fixing up in the UK, and Edd commenting that being a US car, all US cars have "dodgy electronics."

That was quite a surprise to hear that the UK thinks our electronics are bad.
Yes, the C4 Corvette was notorious for this.

I think familiarity with domestics plays a part too. That's why here they lumped so many Jaguars because a Chevy V8 was more comfortable than learning how to maintain a 4.2L or V12. They still do it for some reason despite having the Internet to get all sorts of information.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Yes, the C4 Corvette was notorious for this.
As a long-time Corvette enthusiast, as well as Corvette owner, I'll have to agree with that. Unfortunately, as much as the C-4 generation was a giant leap forward, mechanically, it was way too overloaded with early generation electronics.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:58 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Getting back to the warranty question, I have not heard good things about an extended warranty for almost anything. There are too many loopholes in them to protect the insurer from losing money and paying out. As people have said, the quality of Jags have gone up tremendously... I should know. I had the 2002 S-type and that had an impossible electrical issue to trace down and I was always in the garage trying to fix the leaking head cover seal. I think the big thing for me is that with the S-type, I could find replacement parts easily, like at Rock Auto and I had a good mechanic who could repair and replace parts for a reasonable cost. These days, I'm not sure where we can actually pick up replacement parts, but again, I haven't had to as it has been very reliable.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by harryf
Getting back to the warranty question, I have not heard good things about an extended warranty for almost anything. There are too many loopholes in them to protect the insurer from losing money and paying out. As people have said, the quality of Jags have gone up tremendously...
I agree. The first Jag we had, was a 2001 XJ-8, that we purchased new. We kept it for 11 years, and after the original warranty ran out, I purchased an extended warranty directly through Jaguar. As it turned out, I never made a claim on it, as other than a couple minor issues with the sunroof track mechanism, we never had an issue with the car.