Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   What would you change about your XF (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/what-would-you-change-about-your-xf-81063/)

wannajag 09-19-2012 02:55 PM

What would you change about your XF

Hi, I'm wondering what...if anything you'd change about your XF. Let it fly!

Thanks.

darlo 09-19-2012 03:51 PM

I'd have a Mercedes Satnav system, and take it in white with the black pack and piano black trim (rather than black/chrome/dark oak that I have). I'd also like the ventilated seats to work better, and an exhaust that is a bit fruitier at higher revs, but that is about it.

jagular 09-19-2012 05:52 PM

I'd go for a slightly softer ride. Springing/damping is perfect for spirited driving but gets a little tedious for waft mode.

UltBlkXF 09-19-2012 06:29 PM

Seats

duke_dallas 09-19-2012 09:18 PM

A sat/nav multimedia set up at least up to par with a Chrysler.

ttboonie 09-20-2012 06:06 AM

Ditto what Duke_Dallas said. I'd imagine (hope) some of these things are addressed in the MY12 and onward. It bothers that when the nav is on, I can't see any other info on the screen or in the dash between the speedometer and tach.

khsjsilver 09-20-2012 08:33 AM

1) More padding in the seats

2) More intuitive Navigation System. The navigation system is difficult to use and doesn't have a route preview function allowing you to see all of the steps in your journey. Jaguar just needs to spend about 15 minutes looking at a Honda to see how simple, straight forward and effective a navigation system can be.

3) Audio/Video display that shows all of the information sent by the radio stations/Sirius. Satellite radio (as well as regular radio) broadcasts a lot of information that doesn't get displayed on the screen until you click all the way down to the additional information page, which is 3 clicks from the Home menu. There seems to be plenty of room on the screen for additional information.

4) Better cooling in the seats

5) Improvements to the heated windshield. As much as I like the heated windshield, I still find the filaments in the windshield distracting at night from lights on an oncoming car.

XF - Xtra Fast 09-27-2012 01:35 PM

massage seats
6" less trunk for 6" more rear seat

Long Islander 09-28-2012 06:53 PM

If I could change just one thing, it would be making the screen faster. It's way too slow.

Other changes:

1. More supportive seats

2. Quicker seat heating

3. Eliminate shift knob retraction (I like the knob, but just leave it up, or have an option to leave it up)

4. Optional power trunk closer (like Mercedes)

5. Power retracting outside mirrors

6. Carpeted lower door panels to avoid scuffing from shoes (like the S-type had)

7. Front passenger seat memory like driver's seat

8. Optional side window shades in the rear (like Mercedes)

9. Radio station display between tach and speedo after station change (S-type had this)

jagular 09-28-2012 09:05 PM

None of these. Seat heaters are the quickest of any car. Seats are superb, even the base seats. Etc.

10 XF Premium 09-28-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast (Post 588968)
massage seats
6" less trunk for 6" more rear seat

Both of these, and a better cooling to the back of the seat.

And the most annoying thing, lose the sunroof if you can't make one that is silent.

Hell, my old POS Saturn Ion 3 had a quiet sunroof, why can't something 4x the money do the same.

jagular 09-28-2012 09:14 PM

It rains a lot in the UK. The noisy sunroof results from dust that gets into the hard rubber seal.

10 XF Premium 09-28-2012 09:28 PM

It not only squeaks with bumps but also creeks with steep uneven inclines.

My old Saturn, and several new and old Mitsubishi cars and SUVs never have done that.

So, as I said before, if they can't get it right, do don't it. I would be happy without a sunroof, I never open it anyway.

jagular 09-28-2012 09:44 PM

Simple temporary fix: crack the sunroof to vent position and take a rag and spray with silicone cleaner (Aero 2000?) and wipe the rubber seal. This is the ONLY fix and lasts about three months.

The rubber seal is too hard for our market. It is designed to keep water out and gets dusty in our climate. Hence the creaking.

Raven 2010 09-28-2012 09:54 PM

I have to agree about the nav system..... my $350 Garmin is 10 times better.....

Escolar 09-28-2012 11:58 PM

I spent 7 days with a 2012 loaner. Apart from the streaming audio, I was shocked to find the infotainment system even slower than my 2011. Especially slow was trying to raise and lower the volume. Took a long time to respond at all, and then a long time to make any significant change in volume. Wow. Prior to that experience, I was thinking I'd soon trade up. I'll stick with what I got, for a while. Unless a righteous SC comes my way. :-)

Agree that the seat cooling could be better. Would like if the seat would move back when I open the door.

jagular 09-29-2012 09:17 AM

Isn't there a setting for that or is it only the wheel that can be made to move automatically?

10 XF Premium 09-29-2012 11:06 AM

Only can speak for the 2010 model, but only the steering moves up and out, not the seat.

Not really a problem for anybody over 5'10" bt short people like my wife is would be great.

But then again, she does not get to drive it much. :)

KrazyKanuck 09-29-2012 12:45 PM

I was ok with the Navigation system but recently was in a new Audi S4. They use Google maps with street view. I think that is the future. Why have most car companies attempting to build a decent Nav solution? Just use Google. That is the future.

wannajag 10-01-2012 11:08 AM

There are a lot of comments about the touch screen system being slow...it's obviously true. What I'm interested in knowing is whether the whole system is slow when using the dedicated buttons on the wheel and dash or if they go through the 'slow' system as well?