Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Wood Veneer cracked (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/wood-veneer-cracked-208249/)

Supercharged81 09-19-2018 09:23 AM

Wood Veneer cracked

2010 XF Supercharged. The veneer on the wood trim that sits behind the parking brake release center console area is starting to crack. Is there a replacement available, or would doing a carbon fiber wrap be more viable? Thank you.

lotusespritse 09-19-2018 11:26 AM

Online junkyard is your best bet. Maybe eBay. Anything new from a parts reseller will probably be eye-watering in cost. Make sure you get a match.

And then find a way to keep your car out of the sun when parked.

I use a Lanmodo. (you can google it)

carzaddict 09-19-2018 01:09 PM

mine is cracked as well, a lot of them ive seen are. easily crackable

pdupler 09-19-2018 09:38 PM

One thing I discovered on the X308 is that each interior was a matched set. Not sure if its the same in the X250, but I developed a crack in the driver door panel escutcheon on the X308 and went to a local Jaguar salvage where they had dozens of them hung on a stringer like fish (not the best way to store them, but I guess it was efficient space-savings wise). They were all slightly different shades and some VERY different patterns. I picked one that was as close as I could find. A passenger in the car probably wouldn't notice, but I can sure tell. Had to learn to just live with it. To have a match I would have had to replace ALL the veneer with a whole set from another X308 and I didn't want to spend the money. I'll be curious how successful you are at finding a matching replacement part for the X250.

Supercharged81 09-19-2018 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler (Post 1964384)
One thing I discovered on the X308 is that each interior was a matched set. Not sure if its the same in the X250, but I developed a crack in the driver door panel escutcheon on the X308 and went to a local Jaguar salvage where they had dozens of them hung on a stringer like fish (not the best way to store them, but I guess it was efficient space-savings wise). They were all slightly different shades and some VERY different patterns. I picked one that was as close as I could find. A passenger in the car probably wouldn't notice, but I can sure tell. Had to learn to just live with it. To have a match I would have had to replace ALL the veneer with a whole set from another X308 and I didn't want to spend the money. I'll be curious how successful you are at finding a matching replacement part for the X250.

I feel you are correct. An exact match probably cannot be located. Factory sells the full replacement panels for the center console, but they are 5 to 600 USD. Its only one small panel that is cracking. Carbon fiber wrap it is then. The pre-cut kit for the entire center console around the shifting knob is only 60 USD. Thanks for the advisement.

carzaddict 09-20-2018 08:14 AM

ive noticed the X250 is mismatched as well

Supercharged81 09-20-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict (Post 1964506)
ive noticed the X250 is mismatched as well

i might be able to find close to the same color, but trying to find the same wood grain pattern is probably impossible. I ordered the pre cut carbon fiber wrap.

clubairth1 09-20-2018 12:02 PM

It's up to you but the wood does not crack. What you are seeing is a clear coat crack.
As was posted Jaguar uses matched veneers so tough to match.
I found out when the dealer did a repair on a previous Jaguar that they use Madera Concepts.
Wood Repair

I talked to them about matching the veneer and was told they refinish the original panels. The wood is a very thin skin and very flexible but weak in strength.
You could send them a picture to get a quote but I can vouch for the quality of their repairs and I never had another crack after the repair either.