Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   XF Battery question/ Which non-Jag battery also works? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/xf-battery-question-non-jag-battery-also-works-90665/)

BigCat09 02-25-2013 02:40 PM

XF Battery question/ Which non-Jag battery also works?

How long is the stock battery warranty good for in the XF? I think it is time to change mine soon and want to know if the warranty of the battery is covered under the Jaguar 4yr/50K mile warranty as well or is it considered a wearbale item like brakes, oil, etc on the 2010 model year?

And what non Jaguar battery can be used in the XF as well? I met a guy who said Costco,Sears,and Walmart all have a battery that fits the XF and is half the price of the dealer battery.

I was thinking of using an Optima battery or similiar but I am open to any and all types that my fellow XF owners have used.

jagular 02-25-2013 06:04 PM

Batteries are generic products. If you buy a battery with the same group number it will fit. What you need to know are the Ah and CCA numbers for the factory battery, then get one of that group number but with at least those numbers or higher.

Sorry if you knew that already. Carmakers don't make batteries. Interstate is pretty reliable as are Exide and Diehard though who knows who is making Diehard in the US now. I've had good luck with AC Delco also.

vs2 02-25-2013 08:41 PM

If you want to go top of the line I would say Odyssey.
Odyssey PC1350 Battery BCI Group Size 49/95R

Ridiculous proice here in NZ (about $1000 NZD)
USA Amazon has them for about $330 USD

jagular 02-25-2013 09:36 PM

Optima are far too expensive. There is no real advantage to using a gel type battery in a car.

hlgeorge 02-25-2013 09:40 PM

I have had great luck with Interstate Mega-Tron batteries.

BigCat09 02-26-2013 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jagular (Post 684718)
Optima are far too expensive. There is no real advantage to using a gel type battery in a car.

Ahh, but they do. The jag I would assume needs to be vented where the Optima would not since it is mounted inside the car? This would make the Optima a good choice.

What have some of you used as a replacement and where did you find it?

jimgoose 02-26-2013 08:28 AM

Bosch Silver HSB019 battery is a bit of kit - bigger spec than OE and five-year warranty. Halfords stock them.

jagular 02-26-2013 09:05 AM

Modern batteries need very little venting and this is very easily arranged. Optima uses the same lead acid technology so I'm not sure they need no venting of any kind. The acid is in gel form and the "plates" are curled concentrically. It's not a magic design. Way overkill for a road car.

Blackcoog 02-26-2013 09:46 AM

I've always had issues with Optima batteries in other cars. I've never had one last more than a year or two. Drain them a little too much and they won't come back to life. In my other car where the battery has been relocated I switched to a Die Hard Platinum which is also a sealed battery (~$250) and I have been much happier. In my case I needed a sealed battery because I moved the battery to the trunk and a sealed battery is required if it isn't in a battery box for track events. I'm not sure if Die Hard makes a Platinum battery for the Jaguar but it's worth a look if you want a sealed battery (vast majority shouldn't need one).

VapourTrail 02-26-2013 01:10 PM

Johnson Controls make Diehard as well as Optmia, Interstate, Exide, Duralast and several other generic batteries you would get at COSTCO, Wallmart, etc.

Five Speed 02-26-2013 01:23 PM

The Optima red top fitted as standard in my UK Spec Dodge Avenger was a great performer . American domestic customers complained as Dodge fitted cheap Chinese batteries for the home market !!

Blackcoog 02-26-2013 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by vs2 (Post 684698)
If you want to go top of the line I would say Odyssey.

Ridiculous proice here in NZ (about $1000 NZD)
USA Amazon has them for about $330 USD

Enersys makes both Odyssey and Diehard Platinum. They are the same battery according to Enersys sales department. The Diehard Platinum is usually a good amount cheaper. :)

BigCat09 02-26-2013 05:01 PM

Thank you all for the response. I will probably go this route :

But wanted you all to know this battery works just fine and is rated higher than stockand is dirt cheap for those who would like to cut cost to get by :
EverStart Maxx H8 Automotive Battery: Automotive : Walmart.com

Product Description

EverStart MAXX-H8 Automotive Battery:
  • Most powerful EverStart available
  • Starting power meets or exceeds manufacturer's specifications
  • Great for all-weather climates
  • 760 Cold Cranking Amps
  • 36-month free replacement warranty
  • Walmart Selection #14
  • 1000 cranking amps

Long Islander 02-27-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigCat09 (Post 685401)
Thank you all for the response. I will probably go this route :

I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but I thought I'd chime in.

1. The Jaguar battery is covered for the same duration as the rest of the mechanical parts (I think 48k miles or 48 months). So, if you think your battery is on its way out and you're still under warranty, you should have the Jaguar dealer test it and replace it under warranty.

2. Optima batteries are good, and back when they were the only car battery using absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology, I bought one for my Porsche. It lasted over 8 years, during which the car sat unused for long periods and the battery went completely dead a number of times. I replaced the Optima with an Autozone Durlast Platinum size H-7, which is also AGM, but the specs are better than the Optima.

3. Optimas don't come in a size that fits the XF (or my Porsche). I had to make an adapter plate to make it fit into my Porsche. The Optima specs are not as good as the OEM XF battery -- 800CCA, 100 minute reserve capacity for the group 34 red top Optima vs. 800CCA, 150 reserve capacity for the XF battery.

4. I think the best replacement battery for the XF is the size H-8 Duralast Platinum AGM -- 850CCA and 170 minutes of reserve capacity (which I think is critical for the XF) and the H-8 size is a direct replacement. In my area, they sell this at Autozone for $160 with a trade-in of your old battery.

5. The battery in the link looks good, but I don't think any car battery is worth $350. And it's nearly an inch too long, so I'm not even sure it will fit.

10 XF Premium 03-03-2013 12:46 AM

I just had my car at the Jag dealer for several small issues, all covered under warrantee.

The one that pertains here is the battery was failing.

The dealer installed a new unit under warrantee (CPO) and it is an Interstate.

Works fine, done deal...

10 XF Premium 03-03-2013 12:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Interstate MTP-93 directly from Interstate website is under $160.00

Interstate Batteries Results Page -

magnusmina21h23z 03-03-2013 08:54 AM

2009 XF Supercharged Battery Replacement

Hey Guys -

Thanks for all of the great information about the battery replacement for the XF! It has really been helpful and certainly has given me some great options for replacing my battery. I just got the "Low Battery" indicator on my navigation screen yesterday, so in trying to find a replacement battery, all of this information has been extremely helpful! Thanks again to you all!

I just had my Virginia Inspection done yesterday, the car barely passed due to the fact that it needs new brake pads within the next 500 miles. So, I was quoted $1,000 from Jaguar to replace the brake pads, but I am trying to do the research on replacing them a bit cheaper than that! I am retired on a fixed income, so every buck counts! Any advice gladly accepted!

Thanks again!:icon_beerchug:

jagular 03-03-2013 09:32 AM

Rear brake wear is an issue. Be careful not to keep the old discs without measuring them to be sure they will last for the life of the new pads. Replace them now if they are half worn or more. Otherwise you'll be paying the labour charge agin when the old discs wear out before the pads.

If you need all four whels done then $1,000 is very reasonable!

VapourTrail 03-04-2013 03:48 PM

We had ours into the dealer today and they replaced the backs of both key fobs under warranty. I told them about the Low Battery warning upon start, so they checked the electrical system, including the battery, and everything was up to spec. The service manager said if the car has not been started for some time, that warning will occur. I'm a bit skeptical as it wasn't coming on to my knowledge before a few weeks ago. At least I have it on record in the event it fails soon after the warranty runs out.

jagular 03-04-2013 06:43 PM

This exact thing happened to me. It s correct information. My battery got a little low when I had the gear selector fault and the car was flatbed towed without the ignition fully off. Would not switch completely off due to the stuck selector. That's when the fob backs also showed up as being defective and were updated. Zero issues since then in 18 months.