XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Gearshift stuck in Park

Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Danielle Throw
I actually had mine stuck in park. Did eclxactly as u said then it worked. After 3 drives it got stuck in drive. Stuoid i am i turned it off thunking it would start and i could move knob. But so wrong. I eventually got the gear console out. Checked brake switch. No matter how much i studies i couldnt fine it. Lol proceeded to pull lever on interkock switch under the manifold. Did not work either. Read about the mechanish. Insode the gear box that may no longer release lock to turn knob. In the process now to band it ans try again. I habe the 09 jag xf super. Oh and after i fiddled with it i plugged gear module in and it was set to super instead of drive and then after 5 seconds it goes directly to park. But still wont start. Ordered new module. But i will continue to try and fix it without taking it into a shop.

QUOTE=larry123;1482121]If your jaguar gets stuck in park try shaking the brake pedal it worked for me and get it checked out.
[/QUOTE]

Did you type that whole thing with your nose? If so, that's pretty impressive because I could almost make out what you were saying despite all the typos, spelling and grammar mistakes.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default now that u ask...

That i did. Could you tell...didnt feel like going back and deleting. Im good on that. Besides my head was about to explode. Good news tho, i got it in park, reverse, neutral and in drive. Im trying to find images of the assembly because the motor isnt catching right to raise and lower the knob

Did you type that whole thing with your nose? If so, that's pretty impressive because I could almost make out what you were saying despite all the typos, spelling and grammar mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Default Same issue, but I get a transmission fault warning on dash.

Hi guys, sorry to revive an old thread, but I have the same Problem with my 2009 XF SC. First was intermittently sticking I park, now it’s a hard fault, car hasnt been driving in a while, no jag dealerships or Indy mechanics here to take a look at it. I had my car plugged up to a scanner and I got two fault codes one for the GSM and one for the TCM I cleared them but they returned and are now stored and set.
GSM - lost communication with TCM
TCM- Lost communication with Gearshift.

i have my new selector module on the way, but I was wondering is there any tests I could do to figure out my issue.
-my vin was not a part of the recall

Last edited by Jagbahamas242; 03-27-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 03-27-2020, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

From memory, one of the actual causes of selector issues was dry solder joints on the PCB, which are going to be pretty hard to diagnose without a lot of work.

However, the attached TSB suggests that this can also be caused by brake pedal switch issues.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:35 PM
Default New selector Same issue ?

So after installing my new selector, I still got the same error. Transmission fault on dash indicator. I noticed that for some reason the car won’t enable winter mode, or dynamic mode. It allows me to turn off the DSC and the ASL. Side note , had my car on another computer, noticed that there was a fault with pressure solenoid E Electric? Could this be a hint? Secondly the computer stated that the transmission is in 3rd gear but it’s in park? Any ideas on what’s my issue ? Not ruling out my break switch tho, any way I can test without SDD as it wouldn’t show up on a traditional scanner.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the brake switch fix the problem? Mine is stuck in park.

Originally Posted by Jagbahamas242
So after installing my new selector, I still got the same error. Transmission fault on dash indicator. I noticed that for some reason the car won’t enable winter mode, or dynamic mode. It allows me to turn off the DSC and the ASL. Side note , had my car on another computer, noticed that there was a fault with pressure solenoid E Electric? Could this be a hint? Secondly the computer stated that the transmission is in 3rd gear but it’s in park? Any ideas on what’s my issue ? Not ruling out my break switch tho, any way I can test without SDD as it wouldn’t show up on a traditional scanner.
problem. ?

Old 03-13-2021, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
I dont think a generic scan tool is going to pull codes from the ZF trans module. I would take the car in to dealer and have it checked. If the code or codes do indicate a rotary selector fault it will strand you at some point and have to be towed in to dealer. I would take it in before that happens. I'm actually surprised the function returned after the first fault, not many people including techs can get that selector working again once the codes are set.

what is needed to get it back working?

Old 03-16-2021, 01:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had same issue, replaced the rotary selector, and same problem. I ended taking to local Jag mechanic, he had the valve body rebuilt. I can't say that was the exact issue, i think it was more of a shotgun approach, as upon further research he replace a few things during that process that could of been the issue.
look at the first trouble issue on this site.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:07 PM

This is not on our cars, but it could be useful if you are going to do this yourself.

Last edited by gumby7734; 03-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:10 PM

There is also a video on you tube of someone changing out the fluid on the HP26, and he replaced a rectangular seal that he says always goes bad, and allows the pressure loss that would cause this.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by messagemaven
Have a 2009 XF. Few minor problems over the year, but hit a biggie tonight. Gearshift refuses to move from Park position. Car starts fine and gear shift rises and lowers without a problem, but won't shift. No warning lights on the dashboard. Any suggestions?
I don't know if you want to do this but I did and it worked I opened up the gear selector and there's a little handle that sticks down in there that moves up and down while I put a little string on it and I pulled it up because I noticed the gear selector will turn as long as a little sticks pulled forward so I tied a little string to it closed it back up pulled a little string forward and now my gear shift is no longer locked but the beeping sound doesn't stop but I was stuck in a pickle and I really needed to get home and it got I got home