XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

1st issues with XJL supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Celestial
Jcamp, so far no popping or noise. So far the electronics are holding up as well. I still await official word from Jag. i understand soon. I am willing to give what ever time they need rather than push for haste and something short of what we all want. I am still positive about the vehicle overall. Jag went out a bit on the the limb and was very aggressive with this cars design, that's probably captured my attention. I think that with a bit of patience, Jag will de-flaw this rather impressive automobile.
This pretty much sums up my current feelings as well. I respect the fact that my dealer does not want to do anything without Jaguar's approval and am hopeful that a fix is on the way. The roof popping is not a fatal problem--I am still extremely pleased with the car and this is really my only issue. Of course, I don't want to live with this for a prolonged period of time because it is quite annoying.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious
I believe PWL is repeating messages in an effort to ensure that 2011 XJ owners have the opportunity to see what he's written. This is because there is no clear place on this website for 2011 XJ's. Chime in if I'm wrong PWL, but that seems like the logical reasoning. Is a new subforum for 2011 XJ/L going to happen??? It's been talked about quite a bit...not sure what could possibly prevent it from being added.
I'm a little bewildered about this as well since I've asked twice already. Must be a really big deal for the mods to do this I guess.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too would like to see the 2011 xjl have its do in a sub-forum.....

Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Very disappointing to hear about these problems, and I appreciate all of you taking the time to post in these forums. It will certainly serve to benefit all of us who take later delivery of our XJ's.

PWL, I don't find your experience to be unique to Jaguar, though I understand your frustration. I can tell you as a former BMW 328, 330, M5, and Mercedes S55 (current vehicle) owner, those manufacturers are equally likely to turn a deaf ear on complaints. At least that's been my experience. It happened on wheel replacement for my M5, when there was a well known and posted about flaw with the powder coating, and it happened on my S55 with some of the well known electronics issues that the dealer couldn't fix time after time. The more complex these cars become, the worse things get. IMHO, your local dealer is the problem. Corporate is abhorrent for every car manufacturer I've ever dealt with...it's their job to be difficult. If they weren't, they'd lose money by the fistfull. The onus is always on the local dealer to make things happen...never corporate, even if it's really a corporate problem. Just my 2 cents worth, but I wouldn't give up on the brand because of your experience.
I did not pay $$ to BMW or Benz for the 2011 XJ...I paid it to a bank, who paid Jaguar (cuz Jag apparently doesnt' do financing/leasing anymore)...it's Jaguar's defective prodcut. But yes, the dealer is not doing anything. There are two dealers close to each other, and I am having it fixed at the one that did not sell the car (it's closer)..that dealer says the other one sucks, and I think they are right, becaue they really have shown little effort in making sure I'm pleased.

Maybe "corporate" will care a bit more if they are hit with a class action suit.

My roof hasn't popped since I picked it up a few days ago, but they scratched the glass roof and ripped the sunshade in fixing it, and delivered it to me that way. Many others have had the popping come back, so perhaps it's a matter of time before snap, crackle and pop revisit my XJ. Still problems with touch screen, and dash continues to dissapear periodically while driving. I do love how the car looks, but it has too many defects that keep coming back after being fixed. I am close to moving to the next phase...legal action. They have offered me NOTHING for my lost time/money and inconvenience. It's like they are just sitting waiting for me to make the next move.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What dealer's? Is it Ray Catena?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM

any new updates?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 PM

Celestial
did the popping come back? please let me know.
thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no popping so far ! I haven't heard anything unusual since "fix" . So far just great driving. I hope it stays that way.....

Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 AM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We're playing "let's make a deal".
I'll let you know how it plays out.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM

good luck guys lets keep ea other posted.
i appreciate it.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my new XJ Supercharged yesterday. Actually it was a demo and has 3k on the clock. I asked about the roof popping issue and the dealer told me it had been diagnosed and fixed in this car. Apparently the issue was with the motors of the sunroof covers (shades) getting jammed and making a popping noise....no idea how accurate/comprehensive this is, but one dealer's explanation.

Overall the car is great, but unfortunately on Day 1 (yesterday) the touch screen display decided to lock up on me while driving. Not critical. but didn't allow access to any of the functions that needed a touch screen button press...and I noticed that the steering wheel and dash controls for skipping MP3 tracks also did not work. I pulled over and turned the car off, hoping it would reboot (these are really just damned computers after all). Didn't work.... Then at home left the car for 5 mins or so and tried again....everything back to normal.

I really hope the next software upgrade will fix this. My dealer mentioned they had had notification that it is imminent (which jives with the Oct 1 date I have seen floating around.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense taken! but i'm not quite sure what your original comment means (only one side of the story?)

Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by xjpassion
someone said so on my complaining thread,I found that so odd that I needed to say it back but I was joking as I wrote,I will never jeopardize a thread or hurt soemone feeling saying such idiot comment!
some want see pink cars and a pink background with a happy familly.....maybe they should open a special section or select members who have cars who do not break or driver who never had a problem wit the dealership....maybe I am too much for them,,sorry If I was treated so bad and I reported it here,I just wanted people to know! and thaught they could use this story at their advantage and not fall into the same trauma....

Indeed in my mind I will never do such thing and I will feel so upset doing so,and hurting the feeling of somenone who have been in such pain already.....never I hope I can say this in my entire life indeed and I am glad this is in myself!
this thread should move to he new xj section

Old 10-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Done, thanks for the heads up