XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2014 XJ 3.0 60k miles - suspension high in driver side rear and front?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 XJ 3.0 60k miles - suspension high in driver side rear and front?

Had my jag towed to a mechanic to have the crossover plastic pipe replaced because it was leaking coolant. Now the jag is high on the drivers side and low in the front and passenger rear.

Last edited by GGG; 07-02-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 PM
Default Any suggestions are appreciated

Originally Posted by Aaron Simone

Had my jag towed to a mechanic to have the crossover plastic pipe replaced because it was leaking coolant. Now the jag is high on the drivers side and low in the front and passenger rear.
any suggestions are appreciated. I can't get an appt at the dealer until next week.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The current XJ saloon only has adjustable air suspension on the rear, the front is normal coil springs. However a fault with the levelling of the rear wheels would affect the front, so you need to have the rear suspension height detectors checked and the heights re-calibrated.

Did any of the recent work involve the rear of the car ? Anything else happened to the car recently ?

Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like something in the left rear has gone into Baja 1000 mode. Either the sensor is telling the system to go for max lift or the control valve for that side has gone loopy. Hope it's a simple fix.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

As Fraser suggests get the rear height detectors checked and recalibrated if still working. There is a simple process that involves measuring the distance from the axle centre to the wheel arch on all corners which the computer then uses to recalibrate itself. However if it has suddenly done this it could be that the rear left sensor is kaput or the wiring damaged (that was a common problem with the previous gen X350). A simple resistance test at the ASM can help to find that. With the X350s it was almost always the wiring inside the corrugated plastic tube used for protection that would erode away its insulation and corrode, but outwardly look fine.

When My X351 was rear-ended at a stop line it came back from the repairs slightly high on the side they had cut out and replaced the suspensions mounts. The ASM was recalibrated multiple times but it kept doing it, and eventually they did something physical under the car to resolve it... but as it was with the insurers I don't know what was actually done. It's unlikely to be needed for yours if it suddenly happened without an impact, but worth noting if you run out of other things to check off. Mine was only about 20mm off though - yours looks to be at the extreme limit which hints towards a sensor fault.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

After I jacked mine up to change the wheels it sat almost all the way down in the back. As soon as I started it though, it pumped back up. The car does seem to be finicky to towing. Hopefully an easy fix!

Old 07-02-2021, 07:42 AM

Hi, did you ever get the suspension sorted on your XJ? i have a 15 XJR and i have this same issue at the moment. brought it to the dealer, they replaced my entire right front suspension, i paid 3k and still the issue is present. my passenger side is lower than normal(front and rear), and the driver side is higher than normal(front and rear). hopefully your dealer was more capable and solved your issue, i want to know what causes this so i can bring it to a good shop and have them replace whichever parts caused this. let me know!

Old 07-02-2021, 11:37 AM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 997turbos
Hi, did you ever get the suspension sorted on your XJ? i have a 15 XJR and i have this same issue at the moment. brought it to the dealer, they replaced my entire right front suspension, i paid 3k and still the issue is present. my passenger side is lower than normal(front and rear), and the driver side is higher than normal(front and rear). hopefully your dealer was more capable and solved your issue, i want to know what causes this so i can bring it to a good shop and have them replace whichever parts caused this. let me know!
Seriously? My first thought is that they tried to recalibrate, but couldn't get it within spec. Why would they replace the right front suspension? You can move the sensor if you're a competent shop (aka not the dealer apparently).
If it's not the valve body or pipes or a blockage/leak, then it's a calibration/sensor issue. It sounds like they thought there was evidence of a mechanical issue and made the replacement. Thus, it's pretty clear they're missing some skills.

You could buy your own Autel 906BT for less money, and recalibrated with a Stanley tape measure, even without the special tool.

Last edited by dmchao; 07-02-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:21 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Hi, did you ever get the suspension sorted on your XJ? ...... let me know!
Welcome to the forums 997turbos,

It's more than three years since the OP Aaron Simone was last on the forum. A reply is unlikely.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-08-2021, 10:39 AM

I don't know what went through their head when they decided to change everything on the front passenger side. and as an added bonus, after i picked it up, i had a e-diff not available code, something i never had before dropping it off. i do get a suspension code once in a while when driving but then goes away once i turn the car off and re-start it. i tried scanning with the cheap bluetooth scanners but it brought nothing up. i have to bring it to a different jag dealer or a shop that dealer with JLR

Old 02-14-2023, 05:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
Did you find the problem? My car literally did this yesterday. Came home for lunch and it was sitting fine. Came back to car to go to work and it was sitting same way as yours and OP. Drove it around a bit to see if that would correct it and nothing.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
Hello,
Did you find the problem? My car literally did this yesterday. Came home for lunch and it was sitting fine. Came back to car to go to work and it was sitting same way as yours and OP. Drove it around a bit to see if that would correct it and nothing.
yes I did. Apparently when the car was getting towed once, a bracket on one side got bent by the tow guys(it was on the opposite side of the sagging suspension) and the guy at the shop replaced that bracket for me and simply calibrated the suspension and it was good to go. Took him 1 day to figure it out. Meanwhile the car sat for 4 months at JLR dealer and 3 thousand dollars later I still had the issue.